Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Uglyprimate OP
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Indian battles and adventure in pajamas???

Wasn't supposed to be home from work today. But when the oportunity presented itself, who was I to say no???

Wife's at work, kids in school, Daddy's unattended!

Starting last year with a homework assignment in history class, I actually learned something about the area in which I live.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518289

Quickly finished breakfast and out of the shower, I remembered how to dress myself. Socks, undies, t-shirt, pajama pants. Pajama pants? Yup. It's my day off. Any day you can stay in your pajamas (and you're not in the hospital) is a good day.

Besides, I was curious if they would increase the comfort level while riding a KLR.

Gratuitous fat kid pose.

Dirty speedometer. Commuting to work on my bike means it sits for a week outside. I am back to playing truck driver with the economy killing my real job. (But I'm not bitter....beyond bitter, yes, but just bitter? No)

Ok, so I want to see some more Indian battle sites, but rule number one. No friggen highways. Backroads, gravel or dirt when I find them. Full harvest season, so there's lots of tractors, harvesters and bugs to avoid.

This is a bad sign. To anyone who thinks this is a good sign, please proceed to lick my (edit)

Just had to take this pic. Rider is a little bent out of shape. Inside joke for about half the basement crowd.

Damn horses are uglier than I remember. Como se llama?

Not much color this fall. Either yellow or brown and down. Some are losing straight from green as it's not rained all August, barely in September and October is just blah.

Top trees catch more wind, so lose their cover faster.

This was just freshly tilled. The farmer went around the corner, but if you haven't experienced the smell of fresh turned dirt, you're missing out on life.

Plenty of toilet paper available if needed. For you city folks, these are used front to back, not in and out.

Not a state highway, but it was a county road with brand new pavement. I had to play.

But it got me here faster. Seen some kids from the highway on the other side of the river last summer running quads through here, so was worth investigating. Rode about a half mile before my brain returned and I remembered it's harvest time for corn AND meth.

Ok, back to gravel. Basically just followed the state line between Indiana and Ohio. It's gravel in a lot of areas, but isn't a complete road. Wooded areas equal detours.

Finally, I arrive at Fort Recovery Ohio. Son of a gun, they have a fort even.
I waste about an hour wandering town reading memorials and learning history.

I won't waste time repeating the history lesson, but in a nutshell, this is the site of America's worst ass kicking by the natives. Too bad Custer and Sitting Bull get all the attention. But then again, Montana is a lot more scenic than Ohio/Indiana borderlands. These were troops with leadership experienced from both the French/Indian and Revolutionary Wars.

Now this, I enjoyed. I'm married to a very strong headed redhead. My daughter (MonkeysAsh) is just like her mother. I have no doubt either one of them could hold off an Indian seige with a frying pan. Redheads are one of two things. Strong willed or bat shit crazy. At least, I think those are different.

Unfortunately, my photo skills lack without my glasses. Sorry to have cut off her head. Let's just say, she's a knothead.

Almost depressing.

Fort Recovery ain't a real big town. Typical midwest small town, yeah, maybe three blocks. Off the beaten path. It still is covered in cobble stones, which is amazing considering the truck traffic to the grain mills and feed warehouses.

Memorial at the state highway crossroads. No full shots, it mimics the Washington Monument. No name to the frontiersman, so I don't know. I just called him "Fred".

Depressed me to see no mention of Indian casualties. Not that I wanted a number to dead injuns, but to every war, there are two sides. Both sides have victims.

And how have we memorialized such a significant part of our American history?????

With a friggen TRACTOR PULL ARENA!!!!!!!

Larry the Cable guy running for mayor?

Needing to beat feet for home, as wind and weather were increasing, I returned to the back roads. I stopped to unload the last cup of coffee, and Mr. Ed came to the fence to ridicule my manhood. How do I know this? He snickered.

"F..." you Mr. Ed, I'm hung like Einstein, smart like horse"

(at least, I think he was a Mr. I wasn't gonna get close enough to count his nipples)

Back to gravel, you can see the wind blowing the dirt behind the combine

It has beauty in a way, if you like corn. At least with the harvest, we finally gain a horizon again. Yeah, the next mountain is 1200 miles away.

Stopping for a small town gas station fillup and a cold pop. Hmmm, never had this orange stuff before. It was AWESOME!!!!!!!! Taste just like an orangesickle popsicle.

'Course, the old lady behind the counter was very nervous and seemed scared. Then I realized, duh, take off the mask and glasses. Dumbass.

Only one chance encounter with a forest rat (Bambi to you city folks)

But I had THREE encounters with suicidal saber tooth squirrels.

"SQUIRREL................................."

Passed this church for sale on the way home. Now it's down to just "make offer."

Boy the things I'd like to convert a church into.
Guaranteed express route to Hell in a handcart.

Only 133 miles, but about a third on gravel. Came home to see if the daughter wanted to ride for a while before Mom came home. Nope, too busy drooling over boys and waiting for their all important texts.

Ahhh teenagers...........

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Faulkner
Patriot

Oddometer: 86
Neat pictures.

Stewert's is some good stuff. I like the strawberry flavor myself.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Looks like a nice day out. Nice pics!

Please tell us you had something more than pajama pants on while riding

PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Any day away from work and on 2 wheels is a great day! Thanks for sharing it
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,848
Thanks for the history lesson about St. Clair...especially since my family & I descend from the Miami. (not anywhere near full blooded, though)
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,384
Thanks for the great report...looks like fun.
And I love the name of the frontiersman.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 506
Nice report. I'm curious, where was the offroad shot taken along the river? I was riding along the river near Pleasant Mills last weekend and got a major tongue lashing from a landowner. He was pissed because I hadn't asked for his permission to ride the trail along the river, behind his farm.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate
Plenty of toilet paper available if needed. For you city folks, these are used front to back, not in and out.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,773
Nice!

That weren't no San Francisco corn cob...
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
storman113
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I enjoyed your report. I especially enjoy "history" reports with a ride attached. Am planning some now for once the snow is gone!

First wife was a red head! Mine was the bat shit crazy variety!