n00b

Oddometer: 2
PM sent, Eileen
Bax72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #152
Bax72
n00b

Wanted to thank Eileen for a professional transaction and for such a quick turn-around! She is a class act and I highly recommend her to anyone needing some added speaker flexibility for their Scala unit!
Bax72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #153
rideroid
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eileen, sent you a PM also! Thanks
rideroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #154
drisschoufa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
The black wire that is attached to L- is soldered to R- on the back side of the circuit board...

It is really an easy mod...
First thank you very much your instruction were idiot proof as i followed them and succeded.

I just did this mod yesterday after reading and actually having my speakers operating at a very low volume when someone is talking as i couldn't hear anything while they could hear me. music was just ok as if i put the volume up it becomes distorded.

now the problem I forgot to solder the black wire that is attached already to to L to the R on the back of the circuit board.
what are my consequences or problems????? by the way everything works fine and i can hear sound from both ears.

I have never soldered anything in my life and i am usually the guy that the fire departement have to be called in if I am doing any handy work at home. it took me one hour messing with the damn solder to get it to do what I am suppose to be doing but I succeded....I waited until my wife went to bed to do this as she knows my repair skills.
thank you
2007 YAMAHA WR250 son
2006 YAMAHA TTR125 daughter
drisschoufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #155
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
I know this is an old thread, but I just did a similar hack mod on my g4. I noticed that I had to have the volume all the way up when riding with earplugs, and it was still pretty quiet. The sound quality was awful at that volume too, with clipped base and lots of fuzz.

I decided not to chop up the plastic case, so I just rewired the aux-input 1/8th inch jack that's already on the board to connect to the speaker output wires.

It's super clean and I'll be getting some custom-molded earplug/buds (DIY for $16, not those $400 ones!) for in-helmet use. We'll see how it sounds then!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #156
simmo0020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ok I started my own thread to see if anyone had done anything similar to this on the Schuberth SRC system, it appears nobody has so looks like I am going to be the pioneer.

I know how to solder but I wan't to make sure I get this right for obvious reasons!

So these are the speakers

And these are where they enter the sealed unit

Right,

Q1- Can I just fit a male and female jack inline external without opening the box then just unlpug the speakers and plug in my custom moulded plugs?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is No, then what can I do?
simmo0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #157
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 54
The problem you will find is trying to solder the fine plastic coated wires. They are very resistant to soldering. The only way to do it is to touch the tip of the wire with a small torch, I use a small kitchen torch.

If you cut the wires you will need to identify the common wire on each side so they can be tied together in an inline jack to the shield, or ring connection. In Cardo's other units the wires are red and green, on one side they will be red with a white (clear) stripe and green with a white stripe. That is the way the G4 and G9 is wired, the Q2's are inconsistent.

JETGRL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
JetGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #158
simmo0020
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGrl View Post
The problem you will find is trying to solder the fine plastic coated wires. They are very resistant to soldering. The only way to do it is to touch the tip of the wire with a small torch, I use a small kitchen torch.

If you cut the wires you will need to identify the common wire on each side so they can be tied together in an inline jack to the shield, or ring connection. In Cardo's other units the wires are red and green, on one side they will be red with a white (clear) stripe and green with a white stripe. That is the way the G4 and G9 is wired, the Q2's are inconsistent.

JETGRL

Hi thanks for the reply.

So I should be able to cut the wires external to the unit? Could you break it down in simple terms of what I will need to do please?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #159
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Personally, I would open it up and remove the wires from wherever they go and solder a nice piece of shielded 2 conductor audio patch cable directly to the board. Just jumper between the 2 common connections, usually marked as R- and L- (on G4 and G9). Then install them to an inline 3.5mm jack (do this end first so the wire can be as short as needed).

JetGrl

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #160
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo0020 View Post
Ok I started my own thread to see if anyone had done anything similar to this on the Schuberth SRC system, it appears nobody has so looks like I am going to be the pioneer.
Updates?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #161
VicTC
n00b

Oddometer: 1
sound quality

Hi. I had the scala G4 mod done, but I noticed a curious thing - it wouldn't work with earbuds that had their own volume control (along with the mic and other controls) on one of the "legs". I could get it to sound good if I pulled the plug out of the jack partway and held it there, but of course that's not sustainable. My non-volume control earbuds work, but the sound is not great (I suspect it is mono and not stereo, and it is not that clear - some crackling and distortion). I installed an inline volume control ahead of the earbuds (in order to put resistance in the circuit, as suggested by some) but it didn't make a difference. It is the same on both base units that were modified, so I doubt it is a workmanship issue. Has anybody had this problem and/or any solutions to fix it? Many thanks.
VicTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #162
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

The earbuds used for cellphones (with a mic) have a 4 pole plug on them and are not usually compatible with a 3 pole jack.

I'm sure there are numerous posts even on this thread that talk about the volume issue. I don't find it a problem anymore but I use mine in conjunction with an Autocom comm unit to combine the audio from my radar detector, gps, ipod, uhf radio, and Scala Rider G4. I started out mixing all the signals with a Mixit-2 and running it into the mp3 input of the G4 but then you have to make a choice of communicating or listening to everything else. That was just too big of a limitation.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #163
simmo0020
Adventurer

No I am still struggling to find a solution. One guy did reply to me via email and said he would be able to do it but then I heard nothing back from him.

Anyone else out there manged to mod a C3 system for a 3.5mm jack?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #164
PaleRider1
n00b

JetGirl, Thank you for all the work you have done on this. Do you happen to know if the gold or silver post is left or right?
Thanks
Dave
PaleRider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #165
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Which posts? Not sure what you are referring to.

I generally don't worry much about left and right just as long as they are both hooked up and working. Have you ever listened to something where it mattered or was noticeable? As long as the stereo worked it was generally OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk