Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
The black wire that is attached to L- is soldered to R- on the back side of the circuit board...

It is really an easy mod...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Wrong
wrong way

Oddometer: 251
Mod

Thank you very much, I use bigear buds and it allows me to have the volume low and still listen to music. Excellent mod.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
wgabriel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Very Nicely done,, nice to see good work-man-ship isn't lost.

keep up the good work

2007 R1200GSA
wgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
swjdude
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
Thanks JS... I also did the similar mod to a Q2 and it is quite a bit more complicated (the wiring) then the G4... For some reason Cardo used 3 wires per speaker on the Q2, but 2 wires for each speaker on the G4... Those tiny wires with the varnish are a PITA and that is another reason why I mounted the 3.5mm jack in the unit itself...

Good luck!
Hi - I was wondering if you took any pics of your installation mod of the Q2?. Can you provide son guidance with wiring colors etc? How were you able to fit the jack in the unit itself?
Thanks
swjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjdude View Post
Hi - I was wondering if you took any pics of your installation mod of the Q2?. Can you provide son guidance with wiring colors etc? How were you able to fit the jack in the unit itself?
Thanks
No, I did not document any of the Q2 modification... It was very different in the wiring if I recall... I do remember that after I got it wired up the music would work through the ear buds, but the phone would not so I had to go back in and reconfigure the way it was wired... I finally ended up trying every wiring configuration with some test leads until I found the combination that worked...

Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
HrlyKng
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Have some questions for Golevi

Great thread. I am looking to do the same. One question: why do you use 3 wires when the original had 4? Did this change it from stereo to mono?
Why not just cut off the speakers and wire in ear buds to the existing wires? When you removed the speakers and wire did that effect the FM signal since the atenna is in the wire (or so I was told).
I'm not that good with wiring so any information you can provide me with would be great.
Again thanks for the detailed description and photos.
Please shoot me an e-mail and any more information you have to the following.
Rjmurr325@hotmail.com

Thanks Bob
HrlyKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
HrlyKng
Adventurer

I think I understand and see what you did. You jumped the solder on the back side of the black wire. Again you have to forgive me as wiring isn't necessarily my thing. I'm going to purchase a unit and give it a try.

Btw I am doing this cause I ride with a half helmet and my ears are exposed. Do you see any issue with this? I see some posts that say there is a lot of wind noise if you don't have a full face or full shield. What do you think?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrlyKng View Post
Great thread. I am looking to do the same. One question: why do you use 3 wires when the original had 4? Did this change it from stereo to mono?
Why not just cut off the speakers and wire in ear buds to the existing wires? When you removed the speakers and wire did that effect the FM signal since the atenna is in the wire (or so I was told).
I'm not that good with wiring so any information you can provide me with would be great.
Again thanks for the detailed description and photos.
Please shoot me an e-mail and any more information you have to the following.
Rjmurr325@hotmail.com

Thanks Bob
Quote:
I think I understand and see what you did. You jumped the solder on the back side of the black wire. Again you have to forgive me as wiring isn't necessarily my thing. I'm going to purchase a unit and give it a try.

Btw I am doing this cause I ride with a half helmet and my ears are exposed. Do you see any issue with this? I see some posts that say there is a lot of wind noise if you don't have a full face or full shield. What do you think?
Sounds like you have the wiring figured out... The - is common between both right and left speakers... The reason I did not splice the ear buds to the existing speaker wires is that the wire that Cardo uses does not have conventional insulation on it, instead they use a type of varnish that is extremely difficult to work with...
I do not have any experience with half helmets but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for you...
Good luck...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
HrlyKng
Adventurer

What is "varnish"? I've seen that in a few posts?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #25
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Varnish

Quote:
What is "varnish"? I've seen that in a few posts?
For very small wires, they don't use a typical plastic insulation that you can strip off easily. The thin wires are coated with varnish to keep them from shorting against each other. This lets the manufacturer use very small wires.

To modify these wires - it is a total pain. The varnish must be carefully scraped off to enable the wires to be connected or soldered to anything else. The wires are very tiny and the varnish is hard to see. So you aren't sure when you have a clean wire to work with.

That is what makes this modification so clever - you avoid cutting any of these tiny wires and can work directly on the circuit board inside the Cardo.

A work of true genius! Mine has been working great for several months now.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
I would so pay someone to do this mod to my Q2...

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Great job! So..... how do you mod it so you can power it for 20+ hours?
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
HrlyKng
Adventurer

G4 mounted to a half helmet. HELP!

Ok I ordered the G4 system and will be making this mod. Now the only issue is using it with my half helmet. Any suggestions on mounting it? I don't want a perminent installation. Not looking to tape it to the helmet. I thought about clamping it on with the included hardware but my helmet doesn't have any space to clamp it on. The foam interior is glued to the shell and the foam comes to the edge of the outer shell.
My thought is to fabricate a price of this aluminum to slide between the outer and inner shell with just enough hanging out to secure the G4 to. What do you think?
With this I can slide the unit in and out when I want to use it.
If anyone has installed this on a half helmet I sure would like your thoughts and input.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #29
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Aux power for G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Great job! So..... how do you mod it so you can power it for 20+ hours?
I wonder if one ofbthese would work. The G4 would need to work with power connected. I imagine this would give you 20 hours with no problem.
http://richardsolo.com/richardsolo18...martphone.aspx

The G4 uses the near-universal micro-USB power connector (like a Blackberry)
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #30
Raven Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I just got my Scala Rider G4 and will be doing the ear bud mod. I have a question are the ear buds too loud? I read in another forum that the ear buds that guy used were too loud even on the lowest setting? Any input would be appreciated before I mod my NEW G4's.
Raven Rider is offline   Reply With Quote