Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Rider View Post
I just got my Scala Rider G4 and will be doing the ear bud mod. I have a question are the ear buds too loud? I read in another forum that the ear buds that guy used were too loud even on the lowest setting? Any input would be appreciated before I mod my NEW G4's.
With my Etymotic ER6i in-ear monitors and the G4, I do find that the volume control is quite coarse. Each bump up/down is a bit too much. It isn't much of a problem as you can fine tune the output volume on the iPhone/iPod easily.

I do wish they would fully integrate the 3.5mm plug for us earbud users AND provide an extra "monitor" button on the G4 to pump the microphone input into the earbuds. This would help at gas stations or yelling to your buddy next to you (if they don't have their OWN G4) at a light.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #32
HrlyKng
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quick question. I ordered and received the g4 but can't find the 3.5mm jack quick enough to get the mod done in time for my week long ride on the west coast on Monday. What do you think about just cutting off the speakers and soldering on some earbuds. Will this work for now? I figure I can cut the wire just below the speaker? Thoughts?
HrlyKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #33
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrlyKng View Post
Quick question. I ordered and received the g4 but can't find the 3.5mm jack quick enough to get the mod done in time for my week long ride on the west coast on Monday. What do you think about just cutting off the speakers and soldering on some earbuds. Will this work for now? I figure I can cut the wire just below the speaker? Thoughts?
Sure - it will work, but it is a much harder modification. The tiny wires on the speakers are varnish-coated and hard to clean and solder. I did this to mine before finding this thread. I lost a bit of sound quality and had one circuit cutting out after a few months. I attribute both to my poor skills in stripping and soldering these minute wires. You may have better results.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
DocWong
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Rider View Post
I just got my Scala Rider G4 and will be doing the ear bud mod. I have a question are the ear buds too loud? I read in another forum that the ear buds that guy used were too loud even on the lowest setting? Any input would be appreciated before I mod my NEW G4's.
Sounds like a good idea to me, I might just try that.

Doc Wong (Free) Riding Clinics http://www.docwong.com

My 1200 GS small hill climb video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EntvKjdduI
-----------------------------------------------------------
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
HrlyKng
Adventurer

It's done

It's done. I didn't have time to do the phone jack mod as shown but I did wire in the ear buds. At first I was going blind trying to remove the cotton fibers from the wire when I stripped it but I found that soldering burned off the fibers. It's all tested and it works fine. Great reception on the phone and intrrcom. Sorry I tried to attach a photo but for some reason I can't from my IPad.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #36
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
It's done. I didn't have time to do the phone jack mod as shown but I did wire in the ear buds. At first I was going blind trying to remove the cotton fibers from the wire when I stripped it but I found that soldering burned off the fibers. It's all tested and it works fine. Great reception on the phone and intrrcom. Sorry I tried to attach a photo but for some reason I can't from my IPad.

Good... Glad everything worked for you...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #37
serendipity81
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have tried the mod on my Q2 twice now (with a new audio kit the second time).

Each time, I have great sound for music, but sound from the Cardo itself (i.e. intercom, bluetooth) stops working. Or, to be more specific, it's extremely scratchy and attenuated.

I can't figure out why - the first time I figured I might have screwed something up soldering, but the second time I was very careful and had the exact same result.

I tried hooking up leads to the Antenna ports (AN-L, AN-R) in case it somehow expected an antenna there, and it made no difference. You commented on the complication of the 3 wires vs 2 per side - did you have to do anything with those antenna wires? Any issues with your Q2?
serendipity81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #38
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity81 View Post
I have tried the mod on my Q2 twice now (with a new audio kit the second time).

Each time, I have great sound for music, but sound from the Cardo itself (i.e. intercom, bluetooth) stops working. Or, to be more specific, it's extremely scratchy and attenuated.

I can't figure out why - the first time I figured I might have screwed something up soldering, but the second time I was very careful and had the exact same result.

I tried hooking up leads to the Antenna ports (AN-L, AN-R) in case it somehow expected an antenna there, and it made no difference. You commented on the complication of the 3 wires vs 2 per side - did you have to do anything with those antenna wires? Any issues with your Q2?
I am sorry but I do not remember how I connected the wires on the Q2... I do remember that I had to experiment quite a bit in order to get everything working properly... I think that I soldered some wires to the terminal board and then used some test leads to connect to 3.5mm headphone jack and began trying all configurations, listening to music, making calls, etc seeing what worked... Because there are 6 terminals on the circuit board, and only 3 on the jack means that some of the terminals will be jumped together, just do not remember which ones...
I wish I could be more help on this...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #39
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
I may try this on my setup. I'm quite disappointed with the speakers.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #40
HrlyKng
Adventurer

G4 issues

I used the g4 for the first time this week. Yesterday I used them with a buddy bike to bike. At low speed no issue with static. Remember I have half helmets. At high speed there was wind noise. I notice when my buddy put his hand in front of the mike there was no noise. After we stopped for a while there was excessive static to the point we had to turn them off.
Today I covered the front of the mike with duct tape. I found that by pushing the channel A button on both it eliminated the static.We rode about 250 miles today with no issue. Intercom was great and clear. Some minor wind noise because we had heavy cross winds all day. The wind noise was nowhere near the noise level one would have riding without headphones or ear plugs so I think the tape was a huge success.
As for the static, it happen once but was cleared up by resetting channel A as I noted above.
Here's a question: my better half wanted to listen to her IPod so I plugged into the auxiliary jack. Found out then that the intercom(vox) doesn't work while using the aux port. Any idea how I can over ride that? I thought it would work but after referring to the manual, page 12 has a note that reads "while listening to your mp3 player, the VOX feature is disabled".
Any solutions?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #41
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

G4 use

Quote:
Today I covered the front of the mike with duct tape. ...
Here's a question: my better half wanted to listen to her IPod so I plugged into the auxiliary jack. Found out then that the intercom(vox) doesn't work while using the aux port. Any idea how I can over ride that? I thought it would work but after referring to the manual, page 12 has a note that reads "while listening to your mp3 player, the VOX feature is disabled".
Any solutions?
I have a flip-up Nolan and a G4. After a few months of flip-up/flip-down cycles, the foam cover for the G4 mic got cut. Now I ride with no cover. I used it for bike-to-bike for the first time last weekend and had clear communication, but the VOX seemed to stick on. I'll try your duct-tape fix as my suspicion is that the wind noise kept my unit stuck on open mic most of the time. I listen to music via Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. It works beautifully to cut in/cut out for phone calls and intercom usage. It didn't work well on my last ride as the intercom was open most of the time. Even after long periods of not speaking, my music still didn't cut back in. Only after I stopped did it do so.

So my advice - pair your wife's G4 to a music player that can do streaming Bluetooth.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #42
HrlyKng
Adventurer

I took the cover off today to see what was underneath. I assume the opening on the front is the noise canceling sensor? If I put tape over that I wonder if it would eliminate the wind noise? Although I had the duct tape on the face of the foam maybe wind was still getting in the front thru the foam? No clue??? Just need a solution since the unit is not worth using with this noise. I typically ride with ear plugs due to already significant hearing loss from many years of riding.
I rode route 40 from Sedona to Las Vegas yesterday and it was pretty windy. The noise was so excessive I had to turn the units off.
On a side note, my wife had a neck cover pulled over her mouth for a part of the ride. The mike was under the cover and there was absolutely no noise? When she removed the cover the noise was back and too much to deal with.

I need suggestions! I wil be calling Scala tomorrow to discuss it with them as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #43
samaza
intercontinental

Oddometer: 71
Great mod. I will be making a post about that. I recently wrote up a review on the Scala Rider G4 if anyone is considering purchasing.

My latest blog post: In Review: OTC 1545 Personal Motorcycle Lift
samaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #44
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I took the cover off today to see what was underneath. I assume the opening on the front is the noise canceling sensor? If I put tape over that I wonder if it would eliminate the wind noise? Although I had the duct tape on the face of the foam maybe wind was still getting in the front thru the foam? No clue??? Just need a solution since the unit is not worth using with this noise. I typically ride with ear plugs due to already significant hearing loss from many years of riding.
I rode route 40 from Sedona to Las Vegas yesterday and it was pretty windy. The noise was so excessive I had to turn the units off.
On a side note, my wife had a neck cover pulled over her mouth for a part of the ride. The mike was under the cover and there was absolutely no noise? When she removed the cover the noise was back and too much to deal with.

I need suggestions! I wil be calling Scala tomorrow to discuss it with them as well.
HrlyKng, is a full face helmet out of the question for you?
I am thinking that because of me wearing a full face helmet, that wind noise is mostly a non issue...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #45
HrlyKng
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
HrlyKng, is a full face helmet out of the question for you?
I am thinking that because of me wearing a full face helmet, that wind noise is mostly a non issue...
Totally out of the question.