Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
A little further up we came to a large tree across the road.

At first I thought we'd have to turn around but after clearing some small branches from the bank on the left, there was just enough space to squeeze our small bikes through.

It didn't take long to come to another down tree. This one was high enough that we could ride underneath by tilting the bikes and ducking down.

A view from the other side.

Ducking down

And I'm through.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then we came to a third down tree.

We ended up dragging the bikes underneath it. We were glad to not be on our heavy 650s.

As we continued up Hurricane Creek, we explored the trails that branched of to see if they went anywhere. The first few came to gates but the last one we tried went up the mountain and came out on an easy gravel road. The gravel road took us over the top of a mountain with a spectacular view.

And lots of grazing cattle.

Eventually the road turned to pavement and dumped us out on to Max Patch Rd.

This sign was at the intersection.

Actually, GPS is right.........if you're on a dual sport or in a Jeep.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 07:55 PM
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We went up Max Patch Rd, took a left through Harmon's den, then up FS288 to Buzzards Roost.

the view was beautiful as always.

Then it was off to Bob's Way.

Here's the beginning of the road.

It was not as muddy as when we went through in June.

Although there was less mud, the long rocky down hill seemed to be even more rutted than last time. The real question was, would the downed tree that stopped us last time still be there?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

When we got to the spot where the tree was in June, there was no sign of the tree. The creek crossing was just beyond that point.

Not a real deep creek but more challenging than any of the creek crossing along Hurricane Creek due to a fairly steep and rocky approach. Here Steve shows how it's done.

Had we tried to go around the tree last time we would have had to ride the bikes through this:

Once across the creek the riding was much easier.

From there we headed to Hartford, Tn for lunch. We didn't get there until 3:00 so we were good and hungry. The food did not dissappoint us.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #20
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Laugh

looks like ya'll were having tooooooo much fun. I used to ride the roads around Morganton like this in the '60's. man what a great time!!!! say hi to Debbie for us.
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #21
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderboy
looks like ya'll were having tooooooo much fun. I used to ride the roads around Morganton like this in the '60's. man what a great time!!!! say hi to Debbie for us.
Hi Larry Riding motorcycles is supposed to be waaaay too much fun You need to get a dual sport and come join us.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After lunch we retraced our path back to Mt Sterling Rd which is straight ahead in the following pic.

We followed Mt Sterling Rd through Smoky Mountain National Park and then went to see if the Elk were out in Cataloochie Valley.

They were out.

Cars lined the road as people were taking pics. The Elk ignored us and thought nothing of walking right past the cars to cross the road.

This guy was making all kinds of noise.

After that we headed back to MV.

We had dinner that night at Hurley's Restaurant (used to be ARF's) I highly recomend it. Both Steve and I loved our food and it was not much more expensive than the cheap places in town.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #23
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

For my last day In Maggie Valley, the plan was to complete some unfinished business from the June trip. My route was 19 south to Washington Creek to Dicks Creek, through Dillsboro and to 107 South on several great twisty roads It don't know the names of, then 107 south and left on Caney Fork to this point:

Three of us where here in June towards the end of a day of riding. We went up the road a ways and felt that our butts had been ruffed enough and decided to turn around and try it in the future when we weren't already tired out.

Didn't take many pics last time. This time I took a few.

Last time we went to a fork in the road, took the left fork and turned around after a few hundred yards. This time I took the right fork. It got progresively rougher and steeper, although you really can't tell from this pic.

then it turned into a grass road and........................

It just ended.

Looking back.

I took it real slow going back down since I was by myself.

I parked the bike to get some pics.

It was steeper and rougher (ruffer?) than it looks and I was working up a sweat.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-14-2010 at 10:07 AM
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I decided to try the other fork, the one we went a short ways on last time. Shorty after the point we turned around last time it soothed out somewhat. I started thinking that it would lead somewhere. It did. it led to this.

So I turned around again. Took this on the way out.

On the way out there was a gravel road on the left with a real estate sign that looked fairly well maintained so I took it. It went up a loooong, steep but fairly smooth hill. That led to a really nice and scenic gravel road. Eventually there was another real estate sign on a branch to the left. i continued straight and the road became more of a muddy jeep trail. When I got to this fork.

I decided to turn around. I would be surprised if either went through.

Took this pic on the way back.

When I got back to the Ruff Butt Road sign, I started thinking that Ruff Butt road was actually to the right of the sign, not to the left where I had just been. I was running out of time so I didn't check it out. So I went back the way I came. I guess I still have unfinished business, I was trying to get to Ruff Butt Bald. Maybe I should get GPS.....Nah, that would take the adventure out of it.

Took this pic on the Dick's Creek side of the mountain.

And looking the ahead.

Stopped at this small place on 19 for a chili dog and pepsi. It was quick and fairly inexpensive but they less than ten items on the menu and that included three flavors of soft drinks.

Then it was back to MV to load up and head off to the third part of my vacation; the Bat Out Of Helen (BOOH) Rally. My goal was to get to two Wheels Only (TWO) early enough to find a good campsite for my tent and get set up before dark. I managed to get loaded and on the road by 3:00

klaviator screwed with this post 10-14-2010 at 10:09 AM
Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Deciding to go to the BOOH rally was a tough decision. I've wanted to attend one of the many KLR rallies in the area but haven't been able to due to my work schedule. This one fit into my schedule but it meant giving up some time riding in the area around Maggie Valley, which is spectacular, to ride North Georgia, which I ride all the time. I decided to go because I wanted to have a change to meet some of the other riders who I only knew from their posts on the forum. Also, I hadn't spent the night at TWO in a long time and hadn't camped in about 2 years. This would by my chance to put those "Survivor Dave" skills to good use (You'll only get this if you read Idave's latest RR)

My decision turned out to be a good one as BOOH and staying at TWO turned out to be the high point of my vacation.

Back to the report.

I arrived at TWO right at 6:00 PM. Finding a good campsite was not an isue as there were only two other tents there. I couldn't belive there weren't more. The weather was perfect, it was a holiday weekend (for some) and the leaves were starting to change.

I unloaded my gear and set up my tent.

Then I had a great dinner at TWO followed by some great conversations with several other riders who I had never met before. This was followed by my first night in a tent in about 2 years and a great nights sleep.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #26
Jerry Atrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Good stuff Klaviator...keep it coming! Keep me in mind for any weekday rides...
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #27
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Atrick
Good stuff Klaviator...keep it coming! Keep me in mind for any weekday rides...
Will Do. My tentative plans are to head up to Crawford's Campground in Murphy next Thursday, ride the area in advance of the Hanging Dog rally, attend the rally, then head up to Maggie on Sunday or Monday and ride that area or a few days. I'm hoping to catch the leaves in their peak. Anyone else interested in joining me let me know.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #28
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

There were supposed to be a couple more people staying at TWO for the BOOH rally although most were staying in Helen. I didn't see any KLRs there on Friday night.

At breakfast Saturday morning I discovered that Dave (Jerry Atrick) had spent the night In the lodge and would be riding the rally on his DR350. After breakfast several more riders showed with bikes in their trucks/trailers. Soon the first group from Helen arrived. I took a pic but didn't get everyone.

After everyone showed up we decided to split into 2 groups and go ride. Tagalong led a group of around 10 riders and there were 6 in my group. Only 2 in my group (including me) were on KLRs and the rest were riding "cheaters"

We started off by tackling the most challenging road we would do first; Flatland road. Then FS33 to FS33a to Duncan Ridge. Tagalong's group got to the interestection just before us so we all stopped and BSd for awhile.

As we mounted up to leave another group of 6 or 7 DS bikes showed up. It was Dual Sport Gridlock in the middle of the National Forest We almost needed a traffic light

We headed toward FS4 and took that out to the Cooper Creek store out on HWY 60. A mile or so before getting there my KLR started to surge and hesitate. I had Carb problems last month but thought they were cleared up. Not what I needed today At least I had a spare bike back at TWO.

We decided to have lunch at the Cooper Creek store. BBQ sandwiches for everyone. I got a bottle of carb cleaner and poured some in my tank.

After lunch we rode north on 60 to Skeenah Gap, then FS640 and FS35. Both were fun rides although there was some fresh gravel on FS35. At l;east they didn't overdo it and it was only in some stretches. My carb problem seemed to mostly clear up after about 5-10 miles but the bike was still not making full power.

Took a group pic at the intersection of FS35 and Old Dial.

To the best of my recollection (I do suffer from CRS correct me if I screw up any names) From left to right Joe, Paul Jerry, Ron, and Dave)

Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 693
Sweet , thanks for taking the time to post

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #30
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The weather and riding conditions were almost perfect today. Wall to wall sunshine, not hot and not cold. It has been dry here but I most of the roads did not seem to be very dusty (Of course I was up front )

Ron and Jerry decided to break off and do some exploring on their own. We continued on: Old Dial to Silver Fox Trail, right on Doublehead Gap, Left left on Old Rock Creek/FS333, Right on Fish Hatcherey Rd, Around the FS69C loop, and to the fish hatcherey. At this point Joe broke off because his wrist was bothering him. We continued up to FS42, FS42A to the top of the mountain, took a break, then Back Down, FS42 to FS58, down the dead end FS road past the cemetary to the end. A fork that is normally closed was open, probably for deer hunting, so I got to ride someplace new.

Then it was time to head for a gas station. Paul's KLX250 has a tiny gas tank and although he had filled up at the lunch stop, he needed gas again.
We headed down FS58 to Doublehead Gap to 60. We stopped at the first gas station at 60 then decided to head back to TWO. As we left some Sport bikes came in and signaled LEOs ahead. Sure enough, 2 State trooper a mile or 2 down the road. We just happened to be doing 40MPH
Then we picked up the pace as 60 is a great twisty road.

It was a great day of riding, about 110 miles, mostly off road.

Back at TWO it was time for some pics.

My riding partners (the ones that lasted the whole ride)

Dave and Paul:

And i had to get in at least one pic: