ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #1561
Doctor Zed
Resident
 
Doctor Zed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Mills, Wi
Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
............. I think I only need some screws for the tires now .

Are you going to make some "Homebuilts"?
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #1562
vwboomer
Buffoon
 
vwboomer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: WI
Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Sheboyganeese to English translation please.
Are you saying you can't find a bolt long enough for your adjuster?
Yep. Some threaded rod would work fine but I don't know if I can find metric locally. Needs to be about 3" long per piece
__________________

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #1563
Doctor Zed
Resident
 
Doctor Zed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Mills, Wi
Oddometer: 1,266
Why so long?
Are the screw head that much longer that you need to move the axle back that far?
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #1564
snowjob
Studly Adventurer
 
snowjob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sunny England
Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Are you going to make some "Homebuilts"?
Good possibility of it. I am spending a bit to get the bike running so any other upgrades need to be very budget oriented. The current tires seem decent, so throwing in some screws seems like the way to go. I consider myself fairly warned that they will absolutely suck compared to pro-built. Then I can just cut a 2nd innertube for a liner and call it good.
__________________
Wisconsin Michigan Dual Sport Adventure Trip (link)
XT600, YZ450, 996, & XS650 Street Tracker (sidecar getting prepped)....left behind in the states
JT2MX, KX65 & XT600 engine in the UK and maybe someday they will run
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #1565
vwboomer
Buffoon
 
vwboomer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: WI
Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Why so long?
Are the screw head that much longer that you need to move the axle back that far?
Here's a pic of the adjusters


There is a snap right that holds the threaded portion on the alum block and allows it to turn freely. So they won't work due to the design of the axle tabs for the fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
Good possibility of it. I am spending a bit to get the bike running so any other upgrades need to be very budget oriented. The current tires seem decent, so throwing in some screws seems like the way to go. I consider myself fairly warned that they will absolutely suck compared to pro-built. Then I can just cut a 2nd innertube for a liner and call it good.

Rubber roofing also works well for a tire liner if you have some laying around. A little silicone, rubber cement or the like will hold it in position.
__________________

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #1566
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree
 
BENRON's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Schleisingerville
Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Rubber roofing also works well for a tire liner if you have some laying around. A little silicone, rubber cement or the like will hold it in position.
If I going to build a tire, I'd use Canadian screws... Apparently they don't have to be clocked
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1567
vwboomer
Buffoon
 
vwboomer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: WI
Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
If I going to build a tire, I'd use Canadian screws... Apparently they don't have to be clocked
True. Although that still doesnt' make sense to me.
__________________

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #1568
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!
 
Daamud's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: In the 715, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
If I going to build a tire, I'd use Canadian screws... Apparently they don't have to be clocked

You'll need a liner and longer screws to stiffen up the tire. They'll fold the knob over if it isn't a super stuff hockey puck hard tire.

Must have summtin to do with the taller head and leverage.

Had better luck on a 90/10 tire than a dirt tire with them.
__________________
WARNING: Most things posted above contain sarcasm.
Daamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #1569
chopperito
aka dirty dave
 
chopperito's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: wisconsin
Oddometer: 165
Rubber roofing also works well for a tire liner if you have some laying around. A little silicone, rubber cement or the like will hold it in position.[/QUOTE]


i have lots of rubber roofing if anyone needs it
__________________
shit for brains
chopperito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #1570
Black Beard
EXC user
 
Black Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Theresa, Wi
Oddometer: 180
If your running an 18 then use a 17inch sportbike tire with the sidewall sawzalled off.
If 19 is your style a 18 inch harly tire works great. And plenty of thread bite. And I've heard
That a 5/8 lug is the perfect height.
__________________
AARRRGE
Black Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #1571
papalobster
With Gusto!
 
papalobster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: FDL, WI
Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
If your running an 18 then use a 17inch sportbike tire with the sidewall sawzalled off.
If 19 is your style a 18 inch harly tire works great. And plenty of thread bite. And I've heard
That a 5/8 lug is the perfect height.
Or a 17" KLR/DR/Tiger tire

Lemme know if you need one.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #1572
papalobster
With Gusto!
 
papalobster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: FDL, WI
Oddometer: 13,050
Anyone have a bike for a fella that hasn't seen much ice racing to race the Steelshoe? I have a request for one, and mine won't be legal.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #1573
foxfire
YRUYUR?
 
foxfire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: just passing through...
Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Anyone have a bike for a fella that hasn't seen much ice racing to race the Steelshoe? I have a request for one, and mine won't be legal.
Sure, stud up the DR and ya got a deal!
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #1574
Doctor Zed
Resident
 
Doctor Zed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Mills, Wi
Oddometer: 1,266
Who is this mystery man?
I think the only "legal" bike left would be Ben's, if he gets fenders made up.
But if everyone else is racing, I'm sure Ben would be too.

Or maybe Boomer is putting fenders on 18's DR.
That'd be the hot ticket
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #1575
papalobster
With Gusto!
 
papalobster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: FDL, WI
Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
Who is this mystery man?
Chris Carr. Heard of him?
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014