ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2881
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Prolly be better to have a little trailer mounted thing though.

seems pretty far fetched. though I thought I saw a drawring of one once

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #2882
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,264
Quote:
Yay! I'm sure loud bikes have nothing to do with it either.

The Town of Oconomowoc is meeting tonight & one of the items on the agenda is an ordinance to effectively prohibit the operation of motorcycles on frozen lakes in the town.

There is already an ordinance in place, that was passed last summer, to limit motorcycles (only motorcycles) to 10mph on two ponds near Randy's Waterline bar. The ordinance also prohibits "wheelies", "sliding" & other activities. Notice this ordinance only applies to motorcycles. The discussion tonight is to decide whether to expand the reach of the ordinance to cover all bodies of water in the town.

The ordinance is worded to say that the reason for the ordinance is to protect safety, but it is obviously based on dislike of motorcycles in particular, because riding motorcycles on the ice is no more dangerous than any other vehicle, wheeled, tracked or otherwise. Also, I have not heard of any incidents involving motorcycles on ice that could possibly justify singling out motorcycles. This ordinance is not about safety, it is about someone's prejudice against motorcycles.

If you live in the City or Town of Oconomowoc please come out & help try to protect our use of the lakes. Spread the word - if you know of anyone living in the town, please let them know.
Thanks very much -
Motorcycle ice ordinance being reworked.

Effective immediately, ice is open Sat-Sun from 1000-1500.

Some people will work with the police/town to work up the final ordinance.

Worked out fine.

Edit: By the way, exhaust noise is the chief complaint for these kinds of thuings. We need to police ourselves so an outlier doesn't screw it up for us all.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:50 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #2883
kckeeny
Poor Bastard

Oddometer: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Motorcycle ice ordinance being reworked.

Effective immediately, ice is open Sat-Sun from 1000-1500.

Some people will work with the police/town to work up the final ordinance.

Worked out fine.
You da MAN!

Otherwise we would be forced into fairgrounds with spikes like these fellas from overseas.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #2884
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckeeny View Post
You da MAN!

Otherwise we would be forced into fairgrounds with spikes like these fellas from overseas.

The biggest player in this thing was the guy that hosted the ice riders at his tavern/restaurant next to the ponds. He did a great job getting the issue reopened. Some of us spoke to give a more understandable picture of things and what is reasonable versus what is imagined. The 25 or so mostly local people that filled the placed showed strong support for ice riding which had a pretty strong impact as well. It pays to be nice.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #2885
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 25,554
Unless they are on 2 strokes, most snowmobiles sure seem louder than the bikes. My brother and his buddies all race old 4 strokes, and they are definitely no louder than the Ice Fishermans's quads and snowmobiles ratting around the lake.
I agree we all should be running with mufflers though, and I don't like loud ones either.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #2886
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
Unless they are on 2 strokes, most snowmobiles sure seem louder than the bikes. My brother and his buddies all race old 4 strokes, and they are definitely no louder than the Ice Fishermans's quads and snowmobiles ratting around the lake.
I agree we all should be running with mufflers though, and I don't like loud ones either.

a lot of the sleds are. However the problem lies in the fact that, generally, they are not riding around and around and around. and around.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #2887
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
a lot of the sleds are. However the problem lies in the fact that, generally, they are not riding around and around and around. and around.
I'm all for quiet bikes too, but we must at least acknowledge that riding in a circle all day long is a major reason for the complaints as well. 96dB is a great start, but i don't think that homeowner is going to shrug and walk away when told a number that means nothing to him other than you're still riding on"his" lake. I think the restricted hours compromise is a reasonable concession.

yeroc40 screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 08:55 AM
yeroc40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #2888
vwboomer
Buffoon

Hours would be reasonable. Although to be honest, we dont' usually start until 10 or after, and are done riding around 3. The beer drinking and fire watching continues til 430 at best.
But you are right, even 96 can seem pretty loud. My GG is the last bike I had tested and it showed at 94 but seemed pretty loud to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2889
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,152
Sure 96 is a great number. When I ran the meter out there a few times there were bikes running at 105. Most people don't understand sound. How it travels, what "loud" really is. They don't understand that 103 db is not "just" 7db more than 96, but is actually 5 times as loud as 96. The one bike that was hitting 105 db is actually 10 times louder than 96.

For comparison a jet flying over at 1000 feet is 103 db. So the homeowners have to deal with not one jet flyover, but one every lap. Then coupled with multiple jets per lap it's no wonder they're complaining.

Soon there will be a 96 db limit in WI for all off-road bikes. This will include everything that runs on public land. That will include frozen waterways. And no, you wil not be exempt because you are running on a plowed track, you are still on public land and can be issued a citation for exceeding noise limits.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #2890
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Sure 96 is a great number. When I ran the meter out there a few times there were bikes running at 105. Most people don't understand sound. How it travels, what "loud" really is. They don't understand that 103 db is not "just" 7db more than 96, but is actually 5 times as loud as 96. The one bike that was hitting 105 db is actually 10 times louder than 96.

For comparison a jet flying over at 1000 feet is 103 db. So the homeowners have to deal with not one jet flyover, but one every lap. Then coupled with multiple jets per lap it's no wonder they're complaining.

Soon there will be a 96 db limit in WI for all off-road bikes. This will include everything that runs on public land. That will include frozen waterways. And no, you wil not be exempt because you are running on a plowed track, you are still on public land and can be issued a citation for exceeding noise limits.
I explained that we were working to enact legislation (at our request) that would uniformly regulate bikes on the ice just as snowmobiles and ATV are regulated. I talked about the 96db limit and how we police ourselves at events. The Township Police Chief agreed that if there was a complaint it was best to tag the offender rather than punish the law abiding by closing out their access. Refreshing to hear his supportive remarks.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #2891
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:

You mean like this?

The intensity of sound is measured in a unit called the decibel (dB), which describes the relative intensity of a sound based on an algorithmic decibel scale containing values ranging from 0 to 194. Achieving a reduction in decibel levels is a common goal of soundproofing projects, though obtaining an exact measure of the pre-treatment decibel level incurs added cost and is often unnecessary.

Although a zero value on the decibel scale represents the weakest sound audible to humans and sound intensity increases in correspondence with numeric values, the relationship among the values on the decibel scale is not linear but algorithmic. Therefore, the simple assumption that a sound with a 50 dB level is twice as intense as a sound with a 25 dB level would be incorrect. Rather, in a perfect world, each three decibel increment affects a 50% change in sound pressure levels. Thus, a 3 dB drop reduces sound exposure by 50%, while a 6 dB drop reduces exposure by 75%. Though reducing the decibel level produced by a sound source from 80 to 77 may not seem like a major change, it would actually represent a 50% reduction in audible sound.

The intensity of a sound reaching a person's ear depends not only on the intensity of the sound produced, but also on the person's distance from the source of the sound. If you were standing one foot away from a loud machine, for instance, you would experience higher decibel level than if you were ten feet away, even though the intensity of the sound produced remains unchanged. This is so because the intensity of sound decreases as sound waves spread out over time and distance, a behavior demonstrated by the Inverse Square Law. The Inverse Square Law is a calculable equation proving that each time the distance between the source of a sound and its recipient doubles, the recipient will experience a 6 dB drop in sound intensity, assuming that no surfaces are present to create reflections that in real world situations would alter these results. Due to the weakening intensity of sound waves with distance, soundproofing and sound reduction treatments in large rooms tend to be more effective than equivalent treatments in smaller areas.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #2892
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post
You mean like this?.

Clark mus have took some typing lessons during his vacation!
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #2893
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Clark mus have took some typing lessons during his vacation!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #2894
vwboomer
Buffoon

I remember back in my car audio days catching onto the knowledge that a 3db increase means a doubling of power (watts).

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #2895
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,152
Like I said.......
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote