Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
I can say that every time I stop on the R60 someone asks about the bike and usually is also an Airhead owner.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
A lot of people bash the '74 airheads, but how many of them actually own one? I own 2, Blaine owns 1, another member here owns 2, and so on.. and we ride and enjoy ours. In fact, of all the problems I've had with mine, none had to do with the model year. So, if you're reading up and seeing warnings about these bikes, consider this.
Oh, come on....!

Blaine's been wrenching on that bike of his for more than a year(!) and it still doesn't run right and you.... Why, you never stop wrenching on your bikes!

This is all proof that Airheads make people sick. They start out pretty normal and next thing you know, they're jack-leg mechanics, with dirty fingernails and the knees worn out of their jeans.

Now, if you had just purchased a 1976 BMW, none of this torture would ever have taken place and you'd be rich fromthe $$$$ you'da saved!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Fred C. Dobbs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
wow...quite a response!

Pretty new to this forum--I'd rather ride than write--but honestly thanks for all the replys. The /7 in question is 500 miles away and I am going to have a look/ride next week. Photos/history/mantainence all pretty good...We'll see, though.

And thanks to those of you who cautioned me that I may not like the ride--good advice. I've not ridden a boxer much--twenty years ago to be exact--but my main ride these days is a moto guzzi (V11 Sport) so I am well schooled in "abby normal" motorcycles.

Like most folks, I don't get a chance (over worked) to ride as much as I'd like, so the bike I ride is very important. Most new bikes leave me flat and I think an airhead a good compainion to the guzzi.
Fred C. Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Pretty new to this forum--I'd rather ride than write--but honestly thanks for all the replys. The /7 in question is 500 miles away and I am going to have a look/ride next week. Photos/history/mantainence all pretty good...We'll see, though.

And thanks to those of you who cautioned me that I may not like the ride--good advice. I've not ridden a boxer much--twenty years ago to be exact--but my main ride these days is a moto guzzi (V11 Sport) so I am well schooled in "abby normal" motorcycles.

Like most folks, I don't get a chance (over worked) to ride as much as I'd like, so the bike I ride is very important. Most new bikes leave me flat and I think an airhead a good compainion to the guzzi.
I had a look into my Chrystal Ball and it says you are going to LOVE the bike, and that you'll be back here shortly after buying it posting all sorts of great stories about it. BTW, do a "drive and buy report on it with pictures!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
Fred C. Dobbs OP
Adventurer

R80 Rt

I'm slated to go to Montana next week to look at the 77R100 and low and behold a 83 R80 RT showed up on Craigslist much closer. It has 50,000 miles and has been fully restored by somone who knows his business. It has been repainted in motorsport blue and gray--absolutely beautiful, needs nothing, 100% in all respects. Priced resonably, too. But.....R80s are rated at 50hp. I can remove the fairing if I choose (never ridden with a fairing before, might like it!) but don't know if I can live with such modest Hp. I understand that the final drive gearing on R80s of that vintage are lower to help with acceleration but my guzzi makes 80 rear wheel HP and I sometimes find myself using it all.

But....I tend to ride the MG faster than I should, which is part of the reason I'm drawn to the airhead thing--narrow tires, more old school "enjoy the view" sort of thing. Still, are those of you on R80s--and R50/60/75s-- happy with the power your bikes produce? I live in Eastern
Washinton--big,open unpeopled country. I spend my life at 60--80 mph, not much more than that; well the guzzi sometimes sees 130 but thats another story....
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
The R80 will appreciate occasionally living at speeds just sub 100mph, more so than just over 60mph. It'll do it easy. That fairing will have you traveling those wide open spaces in comfort, arriving much less fatigued.

Smooth engine, pleasant ride and sounds like it's the bike for you, if you're looking for something to allow you to ride a little less spritely than the MG.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #22
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I ride my R80 down the highway, no fairing, and hold 80+ mph comfortably. It just finds a zone there and holds it.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #23
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 978
R80G/S is my only bike right now, 37/11 rear end. There are times that I wish I had more power. When cruising on the highway and the need to pass arises. The R80 will do it, but it is a planned event. I used to have an R100 and I never needed more power with it. Having said that, you can put a 100 top end on, but that's work and money vs. just buying a decent R100.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #24
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
buy one, the r100 have more vibration, the r75 and r80s are very smooth at speed RPMs. r100 have more power, depending on heads and carbs 40 vs. 32 have different feels in differnt driving condition. i have a bike from every time period. from 1970 to 1990, not counting my r80g/s and my race cafa r100, my favorite was a 1984 r80rt (with 80k) and a 34/11 rear drive. two up in the mountains was fine. if i kept it i may have taken off the fairing. airhead bmw are momentum bikes, which lends it self to touring.

there are opption for more power but if i have more power i tend to use it and then you have to upgrade susp and brakes, then the chassis. then i end up treating the airhead like a modern bike, which it is not. i have to lean to relax and take in the ride. this is what a bmw does well.
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #25
Fred C. Dobbs OP
Adventurer

Going to ride the R80 tomorrow....

Thanks for all the imput. Will be having a look at the RT tomorrow. One of the things I did not consider when deciding to persue an old airhead is that, from a rural setting such as mine, finding "my bike" is going to take a commitment in time and energy. Can't just run down to the dealer and pick one out.....
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Fred- I think you'll find the airhead a good complement to the goose. Good luck in your quest

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #27
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Thanks for all the imput. Will be having a look at the RT tomorrow. One of the things I did not consider when deciding to persue an old airhead is that, from a rural setting such as mine, finding "my bike" is going to take a commitment in time and energy. Can't just run down to the dealer and pick one out.....
Yes, but....there is the internet to find and purchase parts from numerous sites. There are also many sites from which to solicit help for your airhead questions and concerns.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
Fred C. Dobbs OP
Adventurer

done deal....

Well...looks like I am the owner of a 1983 R80RS. The bike showed as well in person as in the photos. Took a long test ride on a variety of roads and speeds. It is definitely going to take some getting used to--a very vintage sort of ride--but it has a nice relaxed feel, and while the bike doesn't have much for roll-on power (I get the "momentum" comment) accelleration is adquate.

I'm going back to Spokane in the morning and will ride it home (220 mi.). It will likely be my last ride of the season as winter in my part of the world is just around the corner.

Gonna be a long wait until Spring. Thanks for all your comments!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
BrokenR80RT
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
R80RT owner

I've got an 83 R80RT. The 50 Hp is plenty. As I accelerate, I feel myself wanting to slip back on the seat. Good enough. At cruising speed you have plenty of pick up. But I weigh in at a mere 160 lbs.

The fairing is also a good feature. It protects you and your bike from the elements quite good, plus you get a few gallons of extra storage for your....uhhhh, stuff. I have found that the little vents are effective on hot days. Heck, one benefit of having the fairing is that you can remove it if you dislike it. Then you will basically have an R80/7.

Take a look at resale values of the R80RT. They are slightly disappointing which is the only negative I see. Helps only if you are buying.
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #30
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenR80RT
I've got an 83 R80RT. The 50 Hp is plenty. As I accelerate, I feel myself wanting to slip back on the seat. Good enough. At cruising speed you have plenty of pick up. But I weigh in at a mere 160 lbs.

The fairing is also a good feature. It protects you and your bike from the elements quite good, plus you get a few gallons of extra storage for your....uhhhh, stuff. I have found that the little vents are effective on hot days. Heck, one benefit of having the fairing is that you can remove it if you dislike it. Then you will basically have an R80/7.

Take a look at resale values of the R80RT. They are slightly disappointing which is the only negative I see. Helps only if you are buying.
I've ridden the most powerful and modern touring motorcycles the industry makes during 2008/2009 thanks to my former job.

Now I have what ... 40hp?

50 is plenty and my drivers license sighs in relief.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote