User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
UngaWunga OP
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,615
Boot sole repair/replacement glue

I have a pair of nice motocross boots I want to get resoled. Alpinestar Tech8 boots. The existing soles are easy enough to get off. They're glued to the last, which is sewn to the boot.

I have the replacement sole (with replaceable supermoto boot sliders), but none of the local cobblers/shoe repair places will touch it. So I'll do it myself. It can't be rocket science, I just need the correct glue.

When the glue has hardened, I'll grind down the edges to match the profile of the boot.

So, any suggestions on a very strong glue that is also flexible? Needs to join Vibram rubber to a boot last. Shoe Goo will not work here.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,147
I'd talk to a cobbler and find out what they use. I have never been able to glue a sole on to anything that held up more than a couple weeks and I've tried all sorts of adhesives. About the only thing I have not tried is one of the marine adhesive/caulks like 3M 5200 which I suspect might work.

Post back what glue you wind up using, I'd be interested in what you discover!
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Fast914
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Tech 10 Boot Sole Repair / Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga
I have a pair of nice motocross boots I want to get resoled. Alpinestar Tech8 boots. The existing soles are easy enough to get off. They're glued to the last, which is sewn to the boot.

I have the replacement sole (with replaceable supermoto boot sliders), but none of the local cobblers/shoe repair places will touch it. So I'll do it myself. It can't be rocket science, I just need the correct glue.

When the glue has hardened, I'll grind down the edges to match the profile of the boot.

So, any suggestions on a very strong glue that is also flexible? Needs to join Vibram rubber to a boot last. Shoe Goo will not work here.
Hi,

I have a pair of the Tech 10's as well and yes I will be up for new soles next season. I went to the Dirt Rider Site at http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_05...ots/index.html and they documented the whole process including Application of polyurethane to both surfaces of the boot before pressing them together.

It sounds like it is a bit involved but doable. Hope this helps.

Grant
Fast914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,283
Cobblers use "Barge Cement", that's from my friend, a cobbler for 30 Years. However the polyurethane from above sounds interesting, easy to find for sure.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Cobblers use "Barge Cement", that's from my friend, a cobbler for 30 Years. However the polyurethane from above sounds interesting, easy to find for sure.
That we do.

HOWEVER, Barge won't stick to a few types of material, natural gum rubbers, anything that says oil-resistant or chemical resistant etc. The barge will seem like its sticking, then the whole thing will peel off.

If the new sole is a crepe/eva sole, and the previous material is also that sort of material, Barge, Masters etc. will be fine.

So what do you use if your local cobbler won't touch it and its one of these rubbers? Well, Renia Ortek glue + the appropriate Renia Primer will stick most any sole.

I have also heard that if you torch the oil resistant materials a bit you can prep the surface enough for barge.

In a similar tough spot putting an extended steel shank into the sole of a work boot, I used a CA accelerant on the base of the boot, then used CA and a business card to spread it around, and Stuck them together. As far as I know that held, although the shank limited the flexibility in the sole to basically nill, so I dont' know if the CA would hold in a more flexible application.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast914
Hi,

I have a pair of the Tech 10's as well and yes I will be up for new soles next season. I went to the Dirt Rider Site at http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_05...ots/index.html and they documented the whole process including Application of polyurethane to both surfaces of the boot before pressing them together.

It sounds like it is a bit involved but doable. Hope this helps.

Grant
thanks for the link! my tech 10's need a resole.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Favorite boots

I have a favorite pair of Alpinestars. The sole started to peel just before a trip. My cobbler offered no gaurentee, said it might not work, then glued them back together with a polyurethane based adhesive. This was more than a year ago and the sole is holding up fine. The velcro is starting to fail now, it is hard to give a good pair of trusted boots.

My experience with Poly says you need a good fit and postive clamping. Poly will not fill gaps.

Good luck,

Eric
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,859
I have one pair of older A-Star GPS boots (forefather to the SMX line probably) that the soles started letting go from the heels forward.

For a quick fix I cleaned the surfaces well and used Gorilla Glue. So far it still holds, but I didn't use those boots continuously much longer like I did before.

Some of the polyurethane suggestions above sound promising. I know the pain of looking at retiring really great boots because a cobbler won't try.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
I have one pair of older A-Star GPS boots (forefather to the SMX line probably) that the soles started letting go from the heels forward.

For a quick fix I cleaned the surfaces well and used Gorilla Glue. So far it still holds, but I didn't use those boots continuously much longer like I did before.

Some of the polyurethane suggestions above sound promising. I know the pain of looking at retiring really great boots because a cobbler won't try.
Gorilla Glue is polyurethane.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat
My experience with Poly says you need a good fit and postive clamping. Poly will not fill gaps.
That's part of the problem soling a boot, usually we just sort of heat both sides up and beat the sole on with a rubber mallet and then its stuck together.

Clamping can be difficult since you can change the shape of the sole if you aren't careful, shoes and boots are made on lasts which set the shape of the upper, you want to attach a sole w/o changing this shape, which is usally easiest if you just beat the sole onto the shoe. When you start using a press or bands or clips suddenly the shoe is collapsed or bent and it stays there.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Ozonewanderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Dave page, Cobbler

I haven't used this fella myself, but some posts on other web sites says he does a great job of repairing all motorcycle boots:
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
Ozonewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
You can always try calling 3M and see what they would recommend as an adhesive. Those guys seem to be able to glue anything.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Stumpifier
Educated Idiot

Oddometer: 37
Second 3M, always had good luck with their stuff but you've already got the answer from the horse's mouth. That said I'm fond of repairing cracked soles in my work boots with black RTV

I am full of sarcasm and hatred
Stumpifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Seriously, if you can find this stuff locally, its the best product I've used for this.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Or, try this:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote