ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 546
F800GS / F650GS Britania Composites Fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
Thank you, and +1.
We always have this frustrating period of time between the creation of a new fairing and the first production unit. However, the fairing molds are done and ready to go and we are just waiting for the first samples of the new screens and dashboards. the dashboard was actually harder to design than the fairing, because of it's dual role as both instrument mounting and structural brace for the fairing itself.

The fairing will be called the Mirage 2. We are also working on a new fairing system for the GS 650 single, which will be the Mirage 1 and be ready in November. I think there will be a Mirage 3 for the boxer.

We expect the first production samples of both screens and dashboards within two weeks and they will be tested out on both 650 and 800's. If (and it is always an 'if') everything performs as it should, we can go straight into production then, so they will start to ship at the end of this month.

That is the earliest it could be, but I can't forsee any issues that would delay that by more than two weeks.

As soon as the units are tried out, I will be posting detailed photos and text here on this thread, although it might be a few weeks before it is all photographed professionally and goes up on our website.

Thanks for your interest and patience, I am really excited about this series of fairings, it's a major commitment to the GS's, so it's very important for us to get this right.

Cheers Ian
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gregarious's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
It took three TT products together before there was an issue. Their wind screen is wider and has two distinct cut-aways to accommodate handguards. When the risers are added however, the guards are no longer align with the cut-aways.

I'll post some pics later -- and forward them to Touratech so they can put a warning on their web-page.
Below is a phone pic of how the TT risers combined with the TT handguards and the TT windscreen create a situation where the guards hit the screen. I talked to TT about this and sure enough: the instructions for the windshield do mention it as a caveat, so no fault on their part. I just purchased each item months apart -- the handguards being the most recent addition -- so I didn't go back and re-read the mounting warnings for the windshield. Note: the OEM BMW guards DO work in this scenario just fine. I won't go back however because I also just purchased a Kaoka thottle lock which is incompatible with the BMW handguards.

Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,057
that looks dangerous to be honest....it looks like the guards hit way before full lock.....you could run into issues with twisites and tight turns eh?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gregarious's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 325
Touratech cockpit cover

Ian - do you see a reason why your fairing would or wouldn't be compatible with the TT cockpit cover?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin

Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gregarious's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
that looks dangerous to be honest....it looks like the guards hit way before full lock.....you could run into issues with twisites and tight turns eh?
I wouldn't say it's dangerous at all -- unless you consider slight scrape marks on the handguards dangerous. It's only just the last 1/2" (1/2" measured at bar's end) or less before full lock, and the window and guards are soft enough that they easily flex to allow full lock. The only issue is the handguards might get scrape marks over time.

I only run into it when moving my bike around the garage or parking lot situations with my feet down.
Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
Ian - do you see a reason why your fairing would or wouldn't be compatible with the TT cockpit cover?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin

Our fairing will come with a dash as part of the kit, so the TT dash will not be required. One of the things that we have always tried to do with our fairings is to provide a 'one product solves all issues' approach, rather than lots of parts to make a system.

So, we decided that this fairing system should accommodate/solve these issues :

No cockpit glare from the lights
Dash space for GPS and other switchgear
Wind/weather protection for all sized people (as much as is possible)
Space on the back of the dash to mount HID ballasts.
A design that looks like it is OEM

The idea is that the cost of the kits are offset by the fact that owners don't have to buy additional parts to solve the above problems.

There is a slight disadvantage where guys have already got parts (as with the TT dash), but there isn't much we can do about it.

Ian

PS There is very little chance of any handguards hitting the fairing, but I won't know for definate until the production parts are done and we can check it.
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Our fairing will come with a dash as part of the kit, so the TT dash will not be required. One of the things that we have always tried to do with our fairings is to provide a 'one product solves all issues' approach, rather than lots of parts to make a system.

So, we decided that this fairing system should accommodate/solve these issues :

No cockpit glare from the lights
Dash space for GPS and other switchgear
Wind/weather protection for all sized people (as much as is possible)
Space on the back of the dash to mount HID ballasts.
A design that looks like it is OEM

The idea is that the cost of the kits are offset by the fact that owners don't have to buy additional parts to solve the above problems.

There is a slight disadvantage where guys have already got parts (as with the TT dash), but there isn't much we can do about it.

Ian

PS There is very little chance of any handguards hitting the fairing, but I won't know for definate until the production parts are done and we can check it.
__________________
~ BMWF800GS ~

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!
 
Eurastus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Looks like you'll be sending at least two of these to Utah as soon as you get them done.

MSH strikes me as the type that'll jump on this product right away.

My 800GS needs one too.

Just sayin'...
__________________
Hej på dej!!
Blog: Eurastus travels slowly
Eurastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Looks like you'll be sending at least two of these to Utah as soon as you get them done.

MSH strikes me as the type that'll jump on this product right away.


My 800GS needs one too.

Just sayin'...
Nahhhhhhh...... He`s gonna make his own................eh.... right.....



Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
SKON
Adventurer
 
SKON's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: U.K. South West
Oddometer: 10
Thumb and from ol` Blighty.....

Hi Ian,and warm greetings from sunny UK
Just like to say well done! I,and Im sure a whole raft of other ukgs`ers,would be very keen to take one of your new mirage 2 fairings off your hands,once the final product is ready! (Assuming a keen pricing level of course!!) The outrageous prices, usually woeful fitting instructions,and often dubious quality of Touratch items, have convinced myself and Im sure many others to wait for an alternative Desierto3 type screen to arrive on the market,at a more realistic price level.To this end,perhaps you would consider posting the results of your testing,and where and how to purchase,on the UKGSer forum?
Oh,and I would be happy to put my 800 forward as a UK test mule,since as you must be well aware,we are blessed with a singular set of weather patterns!!
Thanks and good luck,
SKON
__________________
SKON
SKON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKON
Hi Ian,and warm greetings from sunny UK
Just like to say well done! I,and Im sure a whole raft of other ukgs`ers,would be very keen to take one of your new mirage 2 fairings off your hands,once the final product is ready! (Assuming a keen pricing level of course!!) The outrageous prices, usually woeful fitting instructions,and often dubious quality of Touratch items, have convinced myself and Im sure many others to wait for an alternative Desierto3 type screen to arrive on the market,at a more realistic price level.To this end,perhaps you would consider posting the results of your testing,and where and how to purchase,on the UKGSer forum?
Oh,and I would be happy to put my 800 forward as a UK test mule,since as you must be well aware,we are blessed with a singular set of weather patterns!!
Thanks and good luck,
SKON
What do you mean "sunny UK !". I lived there in the SW (Yeovil, Som) for the first 40 years of my life and it rained every bank holiday !!

Anyway, I have been thinking how best to tackle UK (and European) orders and whether to go through a third party (like Nippys) . At the moment, our Lynx fairings are sold direct by us to Europe, but there is no doubt that a small company like ours does loose sales volume by not being represented in the market that we are serving, whereas everyone knows TT in the BMW world.
One of the things that has worked well for us over here, is to offer a rebate of up to 20% to guy's who do informative write ups and post on various sites. When we did this at first, we were concerned that this would be like
" buying votes", but it really has worked very well, with guys being both accurate and honest about what they liked about the particular model of fairing and I'm pleased to say we very rarely get any negative comments.

So, we will certainly look at doing this on the first ones out. Of course, you guys have VAT to contend with as well. Not sure how that is collected on direct sales from here.

Anyway, I plan to be back in Yeovil to catch up with my folks this fall, so I might bring one or two with me !

Cheers Ian
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
SKON
Adventurer
 
SKON's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: U.K. South West
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
What do you mean "sunny UK !". I lived there in the SW (Yeovil, Som) for the first 40 years of my life and it rained every bank holiday !!

Anyway, I have been thinking how best to tackle UK (and European) orders and whether to go through a third party (like Nippys) . At the moment, our Lynx fairings are sold direct by us to Europe, but there is no doubt that a small company like ours does loose sales volume by not being represented in the market that we are serving, whereas everyone knows TT in the BMW world.
One of the things that has worked well for us over here, is to offer a rebate of up to 20% to guy's who do informative write ups and post on various sites. When we did this at first, we were concerned that this would be like
" buying votes", but it really has worked very well, with guys being both accurate and honest about what they liked about the particular model of fairing and I'm pleased to say we very rarely get any negative comments.

So, we will certainly look at doing this on the first ones out. Of course, you guys have VAT to contend with as well. Not sure how that is collected on direct sales from here.

Anyway, I plan to be back in Yeovil to catch up with my folks this fall, so I might bring one or two with me !

Cheers Ian
Yep,thats the sunny UK Im talking about!
Anyway,just thought Id mention,I have friends living on a farm just outside Bridgewater (spent this weekend with them picking grapes) soooo,
if you do bring a couple of screens with you,perhaps we could meet up and work something out? (over a jar of cider maybe)I would be more than happy to write up a review for the various relevant forums.
I think your idea of using Nippy Norman as a distributor is a good one.I have had nothing but positive experiences whenever I have had dealings with him,and he is,as you probably already know, highly regarded amongst the chaps and chapettes over here (Europe that is!)
If you would like to hook up when you come over,maybe you could PM me,and I will PM my contact details back.
All the best, Jay
__________________
SKON
SKON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 546
Mirage2 update

Looks like we are going to get the first of the production dash parts later this week, so we should get some more detailed photos of the new fairing (fitted to an 800) on here by the end of the week. If all is well when we test it out, we will start production straight away .

Ian
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKON
Yep,thats the sunny UK Im talking about!
Anyway,just thought Id mention,I have friends living on a farm just outside Bridgewater (spent this weekend with them picking grapes) soooo,
if you do bring a couple of screens with you,perhaps we could meet up and work something out? (over a jar of cider maybe)I would be more than happy to write up a review for the various relevant forums.
I think your idea of using Nippy Norman as a distributor is a good one.I have had nothing but positive experiences whenever I have had dealings with him,and he is,as you probably already know, highly regarded amongst the chaps and chapettes over here (Europe that is!)
If you would like to hook up when you come over,maybe you could PM me,and I will PM my contact details back.
All the best, Jay
Don't mention the Cider ! I was weened on the stuff and the psycologists say that's why I am like I am !! I will certainly get in touch when I come over.

Cheers Ian
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
craftycoder
Android GPS Software
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,095
Very cool.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014