Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #151
Baillsy
Lets ride

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, the lightguard issue was an overthought on our part, but I understand the guards can be 'tweaked' to fit. We should have though about it at the outset !

More importantly, how are you guys making out in Toowoomba ? I saw the news coverage of the flooding and it looked to me like you needed a boat instead of a bike ! Hope the clearup is getting under way.

Cheers Ian

Thanks for the thoughts Ian,
Mick and I were out for a ride today and the devastation and damage is undescribable. Words cannot portray the size and force of the flooding that occured, and the places where it occured is beyond belief.
We were both fortunate to be out of reach of the severe flooding, and the cleanup and repair is well and truly underway for everyone.
Thanks once again
Baillsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #152
Second chance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Unfortunately Ian can't give you a definintive answer ! Looks like I might have dropped the ball, not considering the various guards. Come on somebody, think of something to bail me out here !!

Ian
You can't think of everything Ian. I like soph9's idea and wouldn't be opposed to doing the same if needed myself.
You are more than capable of creating your own line of headlight guards to fit the fairing. It could be a package deal.

I just ran out and measured the distance between the front of the headlight and the tip of the fairing and it measures about 30mm so if there are guards that are spaced at least that far from the lense they should work out just fine. Or they could be spaced it needed.
So all is not lost Ian. We have options.

Second chance screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 07:10 AM
Second chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #153
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Just installed my Mirage 2 yesterday and have only been for a short ride but, as they say "I have good news and bad news". First the good news ... my Ventura headlight protector still fits perfectly ...

Now the bad news ... I'm not sure you tested these with barkbusters. I had to adjust my barkbusters a bit higher to clear the instruments safely. I am still a bit worried what will happen in a big crash. I guess if I get the RM2 steering damper with a 20mm bar riser it would help. (Any excuse I suppose )

More Good news I liked it when I tried it and despite some people saying its ugly, I actually think it is much better looking in reality than in the photos, and is very "slimming", making the 800GS look very narrow and business like ...

I liked it on the road with the screen right up. Rode down a sandy track with the screen up and hated it. Put the screen down ... all good. Pretty hot here so I left the screen down.

Really like it ... an Adventure bike needs an adjustable screen, and ... shush ... I think it looks better a bit more rallye than the Touratech, and it has the GPS perch. (And it looks a bit lighter!)

Ducksbane screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 04:31 AM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #154
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Just installed my Mirage 2 yesterday and have only been for a short ride but, as they say "I have good news and bad news". First the good news ... my Ventura headlight protector still fits perfectly ...

Now the bad news ... I'm not sure you tested these with barkbusters. I had to adjust my barkbusters a bit higher to clear the instruments safely. I am still a bit worried what will happen in a big crash. I guess if I get the RM2 steering damper with a 20mm bar riser it would help. (Any excuse I suppose )

More Good news I liked it when I tried it and despite some people saying its ugly, I actually think it is much better looking in reality than in the photos, and is very "slimming", making the 800GS look very narrow and business like ...

I liked it on the road with the screen right up. Rode down a sandy track with the screen up and hated it. Put the screen down ... all good. Pretty hot here so I left the screen down.

Really like it ... an Adventure bike needs an adjustable screen, and ... shush ... I think it looks better a bit more rallye than the Touratech, and it has the GPS perch. (And it looks a bit lighter!)
I was going to say it will all fit better with 20-30mm risers and that clears up any interference issues and the hand guards fit right in the fairing side "cut-outs"...but it looks like you have the older Barkbusters which extend more towards the middle and that's the problem. Maybe you can cut down that spacer or just get a slightly shorter spacers?

For the record form what I have seen the fairing fits perfectly with 20mm and 30mm risers and hand guards. I am running Touratech's on mine with 30mm risers.

RM2 sounds good though...

Also my friend with a Touratech Desierto fairing had to cut down his headlight guard to fit too...not the flush mount style but rather the more common style that sticks out like the ones mentioned in the above posts.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #155
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Yes, if there is demand for it. We used to offer a darker screen option on our other fairings, but the problem is that they look good out of the box, but soon get scratched up out on the trail. Maybe a lot of the GS fairings won't see any off road action, so perhaps it's worth thinking about.

+1 for a tinted/smoke top part.. I'll get out my wallet as soon as that's available.

LilDirtRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #156
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDirtRat View Post
+1 for a tinted/smoke top part.. I'll get out my wallet as soon as that's available.
I reeeaaally wanna spend $490 right now.... how about that smoke screen?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #157
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
I reeeaaally wanna spend $490 right now.... how about that smoke screen?
It's on it's way !! We are about to order the next batch of screens and have been waiting to switch over to Lexan. These will come in a choice of Clear or tinted.

Ian
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #158
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's on it's way !! We are about to order the next batch of screens and have been waiting to switch over to Lexan. These will come in a choice of Clear or tinted.

Ian

I assume you'll announce here when we can place our orders?

On a side note, what were they made out of before, and what's the benefit of Lexan?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #159
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
I assume you'll announce here when we can place our orders?

On a side note, what were they made out of before, and what's the benefit of Lexan?
Yes, I'll certainly announce it here when they become available. The Lexan is much more resistant to damage than the polycarbonate we have used, but it is more expensive. ( No, the price of the fairing will not be going up !)

Ian
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #160
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Any word on the new screens Ian? My Mirage fund is nearly there !
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #161
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #162
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
Any word on the new screens Ian? My Mirage fund is nearly there !
Yep, here's the tinted one
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #163
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
WOOOOOOOOO! very nice! thats awesome!

Ian, I'll send you an email, but I'll be needing to replace parts of my new white mirage, I highsided while in moab, and needless to say, my 2 week old bike is going to need some work. also, I have a couple ideas I'd like to run by you!
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #164
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
here are some pics of it in action!

SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #165
Second chance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Very nice Ian. How much for the tinted shield? My clear one is holding up just fine but I do like the tinted one especially if the price is right.

Nice pictures SportFaller. I want to get out there again sometime too. This year I may have to limit my trip to the Black Hills. Any tips on where to ride while I'm out there? Thanks.
Second chance is offline   Reply With Quote