ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #226
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!
 
Ducksbane's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,150
I have just completed a 6,500 kilometre trip in Australia which had everything from highways to sandy desert tracks and even mountains with snow on them, from hot and dry to cold and very wet ... and I am really pleased I had the Mirage 2 !

The adjustability is great. so you can have the screen right down for off road, in the middle for mixed and (in my case) right up on the highway. Much warmer and quieter, but with two unexpected aerodynamic benifits. First passing a road train coming the other way on a very windy day with a combined approach speed of about 230Km/hr , having the screen up makes so much difference, feels so much more stable and comfortable. Second ... I travelled with up to four other F800GS's with standard screens and at the same speeds I always used a bit less fuel than any of the others (compared to the one with side panniers, a lot less!).

Summary ... really pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone (unless I didn't like them and wanted them to be uncomfortable )

Ian ... I like the look of the new top screen ... any deals for appreciative, loyal early customers ?
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Bourke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #227
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 580
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I have just completed a 6,500 kilometre trip in Australia which had everything from highways to sandy desert tracks and even mountains with snow on them, from hot and dry to cold and very wet ... and I am really pleased I had the Mirage 2 !

The adjustability is great. so you can have the screen right down for off road, in the middle for mixed and (in my case) right up on the highway. Much warmer and quieter, but with two unexpected aerodynamic benifits. First passing a road train coming the other way on a very windy day with a combined approach speed of about 230Km/hr , having the screen up makes so much difference, feels so much more stable and comfortable. Second ... I travelled with up to four other F800GS's with standard screens and at the same speeds I always used a bit less fuel than any of the others (compared to the one with side panniers, a lot less!).

Summary ... really pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone (unless I didn't like them and wanted them to be uncomfortable )

Ian ... I like the look of the new top screen ... any deals for appreciative, loyal early customers ?
Sounds like it did what it was meant to do. Email me about the new screens britanniacomposites@shaw.ca
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #228
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,268
Another benefit - I seem to be experiencing less "wet crotch syndrome" . I think the double screen setup pushes a lot of the rain up and away from my chest now, in light rain at least. NICE! Will observe and report further when we get a real frog strangler.
__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #229
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!
 
Ducksbane's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
Another benefit - I seem to be experiencing less "wet crotch syndrome" . I think the double screen setup pushes a lot of the rain up and away from my chest now, in light rain at least. NICE! Will observe and report further when we get a real frog strangler.
Now you mention it we rode through a "biblical" rain event and even though I was too stupid to put my bootliners in until it was to late, my gloves let me down big time and my gore tex suit let in a little water around the collar , I had no wet crotch syndrome at all.I think my hands and feet were too wet and cold for me to notice this positive at the time.
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Bourke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #230
opas
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Bergen , Norway
Oddometer: 32
I can not wait...

I can not wait for mine to come to me, fairing is coming from Canada these days
__________________
"Always remember that life is short and that is why we must choose the best; Love your family, Fulfil your dreams, Ride your bike and always keep the Sunny Side Up!!"
opas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #231
PANZILA
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Oddometer: 33
Great service!

Bought my Mirage 2 today, can't wait for it to arrive!

Really great service provided by Ian.

SP
PANZILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #232
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANZILA View Post
Bought my Mirage 2 today, can't wait for it to arrive!

Really great service provided by Ian.


SP
+1 every question I had, he answered instantly, and made offers to satisfy me that were, IMO, above and beyond. Great guy to deal with. Thanks again, Ian.
__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #233
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,764
As I posted before I loved my screen on my trip...
When I came home I lowered the screen for off pavement riding and have been noticing a lot of noise from vibration. So I looked and I am pretty sure the 4 holes shown in these pics are supposed to have screws in them?
How would 4 screws make their way out?
Right now I am confused... can someone verify that these holes are indeed supposed to have screws in them? I know the screen and I both took a beating from the wind crossing the plain states but........

rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #234
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Oddometer: 84
Well no wonder you felt vibrations. Yes those four holes should have screws in them. I've logged a couple thousand miles on mine now and haven't seen a hint of any of those screws starting to back out. Not sure whats going on with yours.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #235
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
As I posted before I loved my screen on my trip...
When I came home I lowered the screen for off pavement riding and have been noticing a lot of noise from vibration. So I looked and I am pretty sure the 4 holes shown in these pics are supposed to have screws in them?
How would 4 screws make their way out?
Right now I am confused... can someone verify that these holes are indeed supposed to have screws in them? I know the screen and I both took a beating from the wind crossing the plain states but........

Complete mystery . I've not heard of this happening. Are you sure nobody was trying to steal it !!

Anyway, no problem sending another 4 bolts and I'll stick them in the post.

Cheers Ian
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #236
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,764
Thanks Ian. I remember putting them in because the ones at the top were a little bit of a b@tch to put in with the screen on.....If no one else has had the problem the only thing I can think of is that I didn't go back and tighten them up when I was done fitting everything.

They were definitely in there ..pic after install
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #237
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: BC
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Thanks Ian. I remember putting them in because the ones at the top were a little bit of a b@tch to put in with the screen on.....If no one else has had the problem the only thing I can think of is that I didn't go back and tighten them up when I was done fitting everything.

They were definitely in there ..pic after install
I'll get the replacements out to you ASAP. In the meantime, if you have any bolts lying around to use as a temporary fix, they are the typical M6x1mm thread size found on most bikes.
__________________
www.britanniacomposites.com
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #238
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,268
I checked mine when I returned home from our trip and they were all fine. Maybe you did forget to tighten them...? We had lots of buffeting over 2 weeks.
__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #239
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Oddometer: 84
Has anyone switched over from the smaller original screen to the new improved larger screen. I'd like to know how different they are. That larger screen looks good, especially going into winter.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #240
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
Has anyone switched over from the smaller original screen to the new improved larger screen. I'd like to know how different they are. That larger screen looks good, especially going into winter.

I have. I've found that the new screen has both a slightly wider and taller air pocket. You can actually run the screen a little lower than before and still get a bit better coverage.

Then there's always the tint too

It looks better but you have to be aware that at night and off-road looking through is...well not the same obviously!

I've gotten used to it and since the screen tends to be a little lower, it's not a prob...and it's so easy to move it up and down on the run anyhow.

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014