Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #226
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
I have just completed a 6,500 kilometre trip in Australia which had everything from highways to sandy desert tracks and even mountains with snow on them, from hot and dry to cold and very wet ... and I am really pleased I had the Mirage 2 !

The adjustability is great. so you can have the screen right down for off road, in the middle for mixed and (in my case) right up on the highway. Much warmer and quieter, but with two unexpected aerodynamic benifits. First passing a road train coming the other way on a very windy day with a combined approach speed of about 230Km/hr , having the screen up makes so much difference, feels so much more stable and comfortable. Second ... I travelled with up to four other F800GS's with standard screens and at the same speeds I always used a bit less fuel than any of the others (compared to the one with side panniers, a lot less!).

Summary ... really pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone (unless I didn't like them and wanted them to be uncomfortable )

Ian ... I like the look of the new top screen ... any deals for appreciative, loyal early customers ?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #227
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 580
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I have just completed a 6,500 kilometre trip in Australia which had everything from highways to sandy desert tracks and even mountains with snow on them, from hot and dry to cold and very wet ... and I am really pleased I had the Mirage 2 !

The adjustability is great. so you can have the screen right down for off road, in the middle for mixed and (in my case) right up on the highway. Much warmer and quieter, but with two unexpected aerodynamic benifits. First passing a road train coming the other way on a very windy day with a combined approach speed of about 230Km/hr , having the screen up makes so much difference, feels so much more stable and comfortable. Second ... I travelled with up to four other F800GS's with standard screens and at the same speeds I always used a bit less fuel than any of the others (compared to the one with side panniers, a lot less!).

Summary ... really pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone (unless I didn't like them and wanted them to be uncomfortable )

Ian ... I like the look of the new top screen ... any deals for appreciative, loyal early customers ?
Sounds like it did what it was meant to do. Email me about the new screens britanniacomposites@shaw.ca
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #228
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,268
Another benefit - I seem to be experiencing less "wet crotch syndrome" . I think the double screen setup pushes a lot of the rain up and away from my chest now, in light rain at least. NICE! Will observe and report further when we get a real frog strangler.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #229
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
Another benefit - I seem to be experiencing less "wet crotch syndrome" . I think the double screen setup pushes a lot of the rain up and away from my chest now, in light rain at least. NICE! Will observe and report further when we get a real frog strangler.
Now you mention it we rode through a "biblical" rain event and even though I was too stupid to put my bootliners in until it was to late, my gloves let me down big time and my gore tex suit let in a little water around the collar , I had no wet crotch syndrome at all.I think my hands and feet were too wet and cold for me to notice this positive at the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #230
opas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I can not wait...

I can not wait for mine to come to me, fairing is coming from Canada these days
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #231
PANZILA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Great service!

Bought my Mirage 2 today, can't wait for it to arrive!

Really great service provided by Ian.

SP
PANZILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #232
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANZILA View Post
Bought my Mirage 2 today, can't wait for it to arrive!

Really great service provided by Ian.

SP
+1 every question I had, he answered instantly, and made offers to satisfy me that were, IMO, above and beyond. Great guy to deal with. Thanks again, Ian.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #233
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,764
As I posted before I loved my screen on my trip...
When I came home I lowered the screen for off pavement riding and have been noticing a lot of noise from vibration. So I looked and I am pretty sure the 4 holes shown in these pics are supposed to have screws in them?
How would 4 screws make their way out?
Right now I am confused... can someone verify that these holes are indeed supposed to have screws in them? I know the screen and I both took a beating from the wind crossing the plain states but........

rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #234
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
Well no wonder you felt vibrations. Yes those four holes should have screws in them. I've logged a couple thousand miles on mine now and haven't seen a hint of any of those screws starting to back out. Not sure whats going on with yours.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #235
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
As I posted before I loved my screen on my trip...
When I came home I lowered the screen for off pavement riding and have been noticing a lot of noise from vibration. So I looked and I am pretty sure the 4 holes shown in these pics are supposed to have screws in them?
How would 4 screws make their way out?
Right now I am confused... can someone verify that these holes are indeed supposed to have screws in them? I know the screen and I both took a beating from the wind crossing the plain states but........

Complete mystery . I've not heard of this happening. Are you sure nobody was trying to steal it !!

Anyway, no problem sending another 4 bolts and I'll stick them in the post.

Cheers Ian
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #236
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,764
Thanks Ian. I remember putting them in because the ones at the top were a little bit of a b@tch to put in with the screen on.....If no one else has had the problem the only thing I can think of is that I didn't go back and tighten them up when I was done fitting everything.

They were definitely in there ..pic after install
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #237
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Thanks Ian. I remember putting them in because the ones at the top were a little bit of a b@tch to put in with the screen on.....If no one else has had the problem the only thing I can think of is that I didn't go back and tighten them up when I was done fitting everything.

They were definitely in there ..pic after install
I'll get the replacements out to you ASAP. In the meantime, if you have any bolts lying around to use as a temporary fix, they are the typical M6x1mm thread size found on most bikes.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #238
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

I checked mine when I returned home from our trip and they were all fine. Maybe you did forget to tighten them...? We had lots of buffeting over 2 weeks.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #239
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
Has anyone switched over from the smaller original screen to the new improved larger screen. I'd like to know how different they are. That larger screen looks good, especially going into winter.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #240
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
Has anyone switched over from the smaller original screen to the new improved larger screen. I'd like to know how different they are. That larger screen looks good, especially going into winter.

I have. I've found that the new screen has both a slightly wider and taller air pocket. You can actually run the screen a little lower than before and still get a bit better coverage.

Then there's always the tint too

It looks better but you have to be aware that at night and off-road looking through is...well not the same obviously!

I've gotten used to it and since the screen tends to be a little lower, it's not a prob...and it's so easy to move it up and down on the run anyhow.

Dave