User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #286
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Hey Ian,
I did a trip to Death Valley and spend the whole trip with the window down, and i was very surprised with the amount of wind just the fairing diverted. Have you ever thought about selling a model without the sliding window? Its great for people who ride fast off road. I was going 70mph with a dirt helmet on and I felt very little wind. just a thought.

2012-04-26_17-25-00_111
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #287
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
I'm with CaseJeep, I pulled the windshield off mine because it interfered with my Highway Dirtbike hand guards (I also need to take the fairing to the bandsaw and take a scosch off so it wont hit at full lock) I was thinking about fiberglassing over the slots.

Ian, would you sell me an outer shell without the slots? I assume you cut those after molding? also, do you have a photo of the old, narrower windshield over the new one? how much narrower was the old style? Does it stay within the "bounds" of the fairing?
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #288
OverlandHank
Loves to Farkel

Oddometer: 59
I am just chekcing back on this thread and real happy to see how these turned out! Before I order, I am curious if anyone had pictures of either:

White fairing and tinted windscreen on the White F800 or Black fairing and tinted windscreen on the White F800?

Thanks fellas!
OverlandHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #289
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
New updates for the Mirage 2

Well, after 18 months producing the Mirage 2, the sales have way exceeded expectations and we've made some minor changes to address issues raised with us over that time.

The fairing itself gets trimmed back by 3/4" on each side to give better clearance for handguards and new screens introduced recently are 1-1/2" taller to give better protection to the 6'2" and taller guys. The screen also gets a greater range of adjustment increased from 7" to 9".

The dashboard has been modified to give more clearance for the brake line on ABS models and perhaps the biggest change visually, is the addition of a Carbon finish as an option ( + $42)

A couple of comments about ordering the Mirage without the screen and no slots, which I did not pick up on at the time ( sorry). Answer is Yes, no problem.

Cheers Ian
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #290
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #291
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Mirage 2 with Garmin Montana and AltRider Headlight Guard

Hi Ian and fellow inmates,
I have the Mirage 2 on my F650GS with the Garmin Montana and the AltRider headlight guard. Absolutely love the setup. The headlight guard has about 5 mm of wiggle room with it in the full forward position. There was no need to trim anything. Great idea Ian to trim the fairing a little to accomidate the hand guards. It is a slight annoyance when trying to lock the handlebars as you have to put slight pressure on the fairing ( have the OEM hand guards installed). Some picture to help keep your sales going Ian. .
Ian was great to deal with by the way.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #292
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Mounting a Garmin satellite puck?

I love the Mirage 2. I have the Zumo 660 with the XM and currently have the antenna "puck" velcroed to the top part of the mirage but it is too vertical to get a consistent signal. Any thoughts as to where to mount it? I had it under the fairing and that worked better but I am now using a tank bag so that is out..
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #293
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I love the Mirage 2. I have the Zumo 660 with the XM and currently have the antenna "puck" velcroed to the top part of the mirage but it is too vertical to get a consistent signal. Any thoughts as to where to mount it? I had it under the fairing and that worked better but I am now using a tank bag so that is out..
Rig up a RAM mount for the puck off your handlebars.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #294
montanaman
Traveler

thought about that. May try to rig an L brace to the Mirage. I have my GPS unit on the left side handle bar because I want to get to it easier. I see others mount the pucks almost vertically but that does not work well and I really use the XM
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #295
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Is the modified fairing already delivered?
Are there experiences with it?

Mit Tapatalk
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #296
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post

stick it on top of the urine cup, (front break res.) a little velcro and you are golden.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #297
montanaman
Traveler

"Urine cup"..

Great Idea.. I will try that next..
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #298
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
General Mirage 2 update

Thanks for the kind words Dirt2Oil and it sounds like your getting advice on the ariel ( why don't I think of these things !)

Anyway, this is just an bit more info on what we've done with the Mirage recently. Although you can't easily tell by looking at it, there is a significant change to the angle of the screen now. In fact, the top of the screen is 3" nearer the rider in the fully raised position and this was achieved by changing the raised rails that the screen slides on. The reason for this, was to improve the turbulance that can effect some peaked helmets. In particular, the Arai helmets have flimsy peaks and I have had feedback from some guys getting a 'rattle' from the helmet peak at speeds over 70 mph. Raking the screen back has helped this considerably and I'm going to experiment with raking it even further, possibly using a slightly curved screen ( instead of straight) to bring it back a further 3".

Thanks for all of your support for our small enterprise, I will continue with the " relentless pursuit of perfection" etc. etc etc !!

Cheers Ian

PS Looks like the carbon dash upgrade is a hit. Just about everybody is now ordering the Mirage with that option. Pure Vanity, but I have to say it does look cool and you do spend a lot of time looking at it when your riding !!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #299
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! when your raised rails are ready to ship (with the new narrow screen) let us know, I'd like to put the shield back on, been running without it all summer!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #300
JAWracing
n00bsticle

Oddometer: 16
Delivered pricing to Australia.?

G'day Ian,

I have just read this entire thread and wondered if you would be able to give me a guesstimate of a Mirage 2 in the satin black finish and carbon look rear with a clear screen, shipped into NSW, Australia in $USD and do you take PAYPAL or Visa..? OR do you have an agent in Australia I can deal with directly on this. I have an 09' F800GS in Gunmetal Grey.

It looks like a great product with great back up support. Good on you for that.!

Thanks,

Regards,
John.