Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #31
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
I like how the fairing itself looks from the front and sides. However, there are some key parts that are turning me off of this product to the point where I wouldn't buy it unless it was addressed. Specifically, the very boxy squared off edges where the red arrows point to. I can understand the top square piece acting as a "dash" so to speak where you can mount a GPS or power plug or something. I could live with that part and even use it. But those darn boxy corners to the lower left and right of the OEM instrument cluster! I mean... dang! They stick out enough to where they interfere seriously with the lines of the fairing itself. I mean, you have this beautifully designed fairing with good lines that compliment the F800GS well. Then all of the sudden out of no where you have this 80's looking square that sticks out of the sides visibly. If you could somehow round off where the red lines are on the lower left and right of the instrument cluster, I'd be all in. And yes, because I can already hear an inmate chiming in with something like this, you could round things off on the lower left and right areas while still leaving enough material around the OEM instrument cluster for power plugs and switches and such.

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #32
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
I agree with Griz

From the front, this is a total winner. Then you get to the dash and there comes a big let down. I was all in, then I saw the lower part of the dash and well, just read what Griz said "ditto"
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Ian,
Can you post a picture of the dash from the rider's perspective? Griz makes some good comments but I'd like to see that angle to help shape my opinion.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #34
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Yea... you really should put some burled walnut veneer on that sad lookin thang
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #35
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
new screen

No offense, Ian, but I agree with The Griz. There is a big difference, IMHO, between the front of the screen and the back. It just seems too *bulky* for lack of a better word. Kinda like an old American car compared to the Euros. Looks like all the design work went into the front, and the rest was an afterthought. It would make my 800 look like a *cool* bike from the front, and a Goldwing from the back! Sorry if that sounds harsh..I applaud your effort in getting this project moving forward, and I was looking forward to the finished product with some anticipation.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #36
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Yea... you really should put some burled walnut veneer on that sad lookin thang
I was thinking maybe some cool carbon fibre from Ebrabaek

In the mean time I will reserve my judgment until I see a rider perspective photo!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
Ian,
Can you post a picture of the dash from the rider's perspective? Griz makes some good comments but I'd like to see that angle to help shape my opinion.
Unfortunately, the bike is now back with it's owner, so I don't have a pic of the riders view. The comments about the hard edge is one of the changes that are going to be made (softening the edge). However, in real life, the edge isn't quite what it appears in the photo. The sides slope into the inside of the fairing at 45 degrees, so the edge isn't like the edge of a box, but rather a change in direction from flat and the edge itself is well inside the width of the fairing. In any event, I agree it will be more pleasing to look at with a more rounded edge.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
Having just spent the last day and a 1/2 figuring out where to mount my HID ballast boxes, StarCom head unit and aux fuse panel, I actually think all the flat surfaces are a great idea. The upper section looks like it would hold the Zumo as well.

I dig the utilitarian dashboard.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 08:22 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #39
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
Having just spent the last day and a 1/2 figuring out where to mount my HID ballast boxes, StarCom head unit and aux fuse panel, I actually think all the flat surfaces are great idea. The upper section looks like it would hold the Zumo as well.

I dig the utilitarian dashboard.
Well, at least someone likes it !! The back of the dash is an ideal place for the HID ballasts etc and we do this with the Lynx fairings.

It's a shame the photos tend to make the dash look more dominant than it really is. Personally, I am more concerned with the look of the GPS platform. We have measured up on a zumo and 276 and decided that the platform can be made smaller and still accomodate these GPS units. The idea is that the platform should hardly show at all when the GPS is mounted.

We'll keep at it !
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #40
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I was thinking maybe some cool carbon fibre from Ebrabaek

In the mean time I will reserve my judgment until I see a rider perspective photo!
.......I`m flattered.......... I have made several pieces over the years....most recently on a different forum. I asked for other riders opinion, and also were prepared for the friendly bashing to follow. The great thing is that one can draw upon the collective of riders....their thoughts.....ideas....which when summed together....is by far a broader r&d section than any manufacture can match. The hardest thing is when people critiques it in a such way....dictating changes....as Ian has now seen, But I`m sure he can see through it, and use it positively to perhaps better his products. And... I must say that Griz was in his best behavior......... If it was my product....I`d take a response like that very serious.
Ian..... Is the fairing made from Glass....Polyester....epoxy???? Just curious.
Good work, my fellow compositour.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #41
endurorazor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Nice Fairing Ian. What is the length from the top of the headlight to the top of the screen in the full up position? I may have missed that in reading through this.
endurorazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #42
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
Ian, I too would like to point out that it is a VERY nice fairing. I LOVE how the fairing itself looks. I just think that the dash part needs to be just as refined as the fairing itself. As it sits right now it looks like two completely separate designs. When the fairing and the dash gel as one, you'll be receiving my $500.

Also, on a side note. I would definitely use the upper dash part to mount my GPS. However, I'm concerned about rigidity up there. As in, if I mount my GPS to the upper dash, will it vibrate and wobble a bunch? Is the construction up there good and stiff enough to support the weight of a good GPS or other screened electronic device? If it does vibrate and wobble, it will make the GPS screen unreadable while the engine is running and while riding at speed due to wind hitting the fairing. It might be worth actually mounting a GPS or similar weight screened electronic device to test it out and make sure the upper dash part doesn't vibrate and wobble.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #43
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Ian, I too would like to point out that it is a VERY nice fairing. I LOVE how the fairing itself looks. I just think that the dash part needs to be just as refined as the fairing itself. As it sits right now it looks like two completely separate designs. When the fairing and the dash gel as one, you'll be receiving my $500.

Also, on a side note. I would definitely use the upper dash part to mount my GPS. However, I'm concerned about rigidity up there. As in, if I mount my GPS to the upper dash, will it vibrate and wobble a bunch? Is the construction up there good and stiff enough to support the weight of a good GPS or other screened electronic device? If it does vibrate and wobble, it will make the GPS screen unreadable while the engine is running and while riding at speed due to wind hitting the fairing. It might be worth actually mounting a GPS or similar weight screened electronic device to test it out and make sure the upper dash part doesn't vibrate and wobble.
The dashes on Ian's fairings are VERY solid! You can see the two bolts at the top and between all the mounting points it creates a solid structure. This is a common trait on all his fairings.

You could mount a small LCD screen there and watch TV...but only cagers need those cause it's sooo boring in those

He's no spring chicken to this and has been making fairings for a few (3?) years now.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #44
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
I'm wondering how many people who bought Desierto 3's are reading this thread and thinking about how many tires they could have bought with the money they saved.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #45
anodyne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I'm wondering how many people who bought Desierto 3's are reading this thread and thinking about how many tires they could have bought with the money they saved.
Meh, gotta spend money on something since a replacement Heidenau 150 can't be found.

On a serious note, this looks like a nice fairing and I would consider it if I was in the market. That said, I've enjoyed my Desierto for awhile now. I guess I should be happy it arrived in one piece. I've had some minor crashes with it and it only shows a scuff or two (likely not hit very hard). If I should destroy it and Touratech decides not to throw a little goodwill replacement discount my way .... I might check this option out and save some change.
anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote