Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #46
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
Ian, it's time for you to start a thread in Vendors regarding the 800GS fairing and field questions and post pics there.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #47
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Make sure you post the link to the vendors thread so we can follow it over.(please)
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #48
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 47
Realy nice and interesting fairing, but for us living in Europe the fairing is not so low cost comparing to the Desierto.

I can buy in Greece the Desierto 520 Euros and this fairing will cost not less than 400 euros + taxes.

I was hopping that it would be cheaper in first place
thleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #49
JavaJude
Adventure Awaits

Oddometer: 8
I got my bike back from Ian at Britannia Composites with the very first fairing for BMW 650/800 GS.

In a word, it is AWESOME!! The fairing makes a huge difference when riding on road and the windscreen slides down beautifully for riding off-road. I was surprised at just how much of a difference this new fairing makes.

Thanks Ian, you did a wonderful job and I'm so happy to have the first one.

Here are a couple of photos:

Here is a photo of the dash. The instrument panel is directly attached to the dash and the space above is perfect for a dash mounted GPS.
JavaJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #50
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Please post what the heights are from top of headlight to top of shield in the lowest and highest positions.

How's the noise and/or buffeting at highway speeds?

Ease of adjustment?
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #51
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
Please post what the heights are from top of headlight to top of shield in the lowest and highest positions.

How's the noise and/or buffeting at highway speeds?

Ease of adjustment?
The distance between the top of the headlight and the top of the screen (in it's fully raised position) is 21". ( 13" in the lowered position)

Noise and buffeting are very subjective. In my experience, a naked bike is actually quieter at 100k than any bike with a fairing, but when testing Judy's bike, I wouldn't use earplugs at speeds up to 140kph and you don't need to put the visor on your helmet down until you're doing over 120 Kph.

The adjustment system is very simple and is the same as we use on all our fairings. We find that if you adjust the clamping correctly, you can actually pull the screen up or tap it down whilst you are riding if you want.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #52
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Ian, I too would like to point out that it is a VERY nice fairing. I LOVE how the fairing itself looks. I just think that the dash part needs to be just as refined as the fairing itself. As it sits right now it looks like two completely separate designs. When the fairing and the dash gel as one, you'll be receiving my $500.

Also, on a side note. I would definitely use the upper dash part to mount my GPS. However, I'm concerned about rigidity up there. As in, if I mount my GPS to the upper dash, will it vibrate and wobble a bunch? Is the construction up there good and stiff enough to support the weight of a good GPS or other screened electronic device? If it does vibrate and wobble, it will make the GPS screen unreadable while the engine is running and while riding at speed due to wind hitting the fairing. It might be worth actually mounting a GPS or similar weight screened electronic device to test it out and make sure the upper dash part doesn't vibrate and wobble.
I was concerned about the stiffness issue at the outset, not because of the fairing, but the fact that the plastic headlight subframe moves a bit.
The fairing does vibrate very slightly while the bike is ticking over, but this disappears as soon as you go off tickover. There was no problems when it got tested with a 276 mounted up there and they are about the heaviest unit out there I think.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #53
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
Pruned and moved from GSpot: PU
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #54
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasthedolphin
That Mirage 2 looks very interesting indeed.

I wonder if it copes with the turbulens for tall people as well as Wunderlich Ergo Vario with TT spoiler as the Mirage seems a tad lower and narrower?

I also wonder there might be space for a small and a big AUX power plug as I have in my current TT dash?

I could be seriously interested if it proves to be quality and perform well and encounter the above mentioned issues.

Niklas
Plenty of space for more sockets and switches on the dash. We haven't had any really tall guys test it yet, but it should be fine at around 6'2".
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #55
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Production update

We hope to start shipping at the end of the month and we should have it up on the website next week. We already have a lot of pre orders, so if anybody is keen to have one sooner rather than later, then contact us directly at britanniacomposites@shaw.ca . The price is set at $490 USD/CAD plus shipping.

Ian
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #56
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Some guys were disappointed with the dash (earlier in the thread), particularly feeling that it seemed a bit large. This puzzled me a bit, because quite a lot of people have now seen the whole thing for real and have expressed the complete opposite !! Looking at the picture I posted up, the dash certainly looks more dominating than it is in real life, so I've attached a picture of an actual side view of the fairing and you can see that (other than the GPS perch), it is tucked well into the fairing itself and the side profile looks more in balance. ( I think !)

Ian
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #57
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,647
Ian... looking good and I am foaming at the mouth now. How did you mount the 276 into the unit? I have a 478 and not sure when looking at the photos how I would mount the GPS unit. Cutaway a hole and put it inside? Just curious as I really want one of these but need to wait and see how a Garmin big unit mounts in there. Cool.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #58
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
Ian how will this fairing work with BMW large hand guards? Any interference you might be aware of? We also have a Garmin 660...have you inserted any of the bigger GPS in the upper part?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #59
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
Ian how will this fairing work with BMW large hand guards? Any interference you might be aware of? We also have a Garmin 660...have you inserted any of the bigger GPS in the upper part?
The GPS's surface mount onto the perch. You just bolt the mount to the surface. It was designed to accomodate units like the 276 and Zumo, but you can mount anything up there, even if the unit is slightly bigger than the perch.

You can see from this pic that it is easy to get at the back of the dash to access any wiring (or bolts), because the dash remauns on the bike when the fairing is removed.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #60
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
Is a 660 the same as a Zumo ? If so, then yes it has been mounted. The platform is 3-3/4" from top to bottom and there is no prblem with the unit being another 1/2" deeper than that, before it visually interferes with the speedp in the riding position.

I am not sure of the dimensions of the large TT handguards, but the TT handguards that were on the bike we modeled it on, cleared by over an inch on full lock.