User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #91
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Britannia Composites Mirage 2 fairing review

This is just going to be a short review for now as I've only had the fairing for less than a week and I don't have many highway miles on it yet.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Helmet Arai XD. Speeds only up to about 120kph (75mph) for short periods due to the new take away your bike on the spot "law" in BC for more than 40 over.

Easy install. Very solid...no buzzing/rattling/shaking. Build quality is top notch all around.

The first time out I ran the screen at the mid point (3.5").

It's lower in the pics for off road...very easy to adjust.

It's "rally" (tall) so if you like to "stare at your front wheel" (you shouldn't of course) when seated then you may not like it. The set up for the gauges is great. I don't have anything in the upper panel as I run a 60CX right now.

Excellent airflow over the helmet. None of the dreaded Arai visor buzz. Keeps all the (cold) wind off your chest. Just a little bit of wind at the sides of the helmet...not really buffeting and not too obtrusive at all.

I now have the screen set at 5" up and it's even a little better...even slightly cleaner wind management.

Very happy with it!!

Oh it looks REALLY good! It looks very integrated and like it should be there. Completes the front end.

more to report soon...ask away if you have any q's.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #92
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Britannia Composites Mirage 2 fairing review

This is just going to be a short review for now as I've only had the fairing for less than a week and I don't have many highway miles on it yet.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Helmet Arai XD. Speeds only up to about 120kph (75mph) for short periods due to the new take away your bike on the spot "law" in BC for more than 40 over.

Easy install. Very solid...no buzzing/rattling/shaking. Build quality is top notch all around.

The first time out I ran the screen at the mid point (3.5").

It's lower in the pics for off road...very easy to adjust.

It's "rally" (tall) so if you like to "stare at your front wheel" (you shouldn't of course) when seated then you may not like it. The set up for the gauges is great. I don't have anything in the upper panel as I run a 60CX right now.

Excellent airflow over the helmet. None of the dreaded Arai visor buzz. Keeps all the (cold) wind off your chest. Just a little bit of wind at the sides of the helmet...not really buffeting and not too obtrusive at all.
You can keep the visor open a bit at high speeds no problem.

I now have the screen set at 5" up and it's even a little better...even slightly cleaner wind management.

Very happy with it!!

Oh it looks REALLY good! It looks very integrated and like it should be there. Completes the front end.

more to report soon...ask away if you have any q's.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #93
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
i was wondering whether after removal of that 'GPS perch' (which I dont personally like), it would still be possible to mount GPS over the instruments cluster ? Is there any stable structure up there to stick a (special) mount ? what material is the frame based on ? (abs ?)

I do like the looks but I need something really sturdy... alu or even steel frame would be perfect...
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #94
endurorazor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I installed the Mirage 2 fairing last week and have put about 100 miles on it so far. The installation was a breeze. I just laid out the included hardware and briefly scanned the instructions. One lesson learned was that I forgot the washers under the long bolts that secure it to the frame and quickly realized I would be pulling the bolt through the fiberglass without them. I wasn't sure about the style but it has really grown on me after a few rides. I've ridden it in three positions, all the way down, up and just about the middle. I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam. It's very similar to the stock screen when set at its lowest setting, for me anyway. My first ride with the screen all the way up was on a very windy day. The most noticeable effect on handling was whenever I encountered quartering head or tailwinds. Nothing dramatic or dangerous, just noticeable. That is to be expected considering the additional surface area being hit by the wind.

I did encounter buffeting on the top of my helmet above 50 mph with the screen fully up. My rear shock was set on maximum stiffness as I usually ride with a passenger and loaded panniers. Once I loosened the rear shock, the rear end sat lower and the buffeting on top of my helmet was gone. The screen is very secure and adjusting it takes mere seconds. I was able to get some time above 100 mph with the screen fully up and it was secure, no problems at all. Next step for me is to remove HID ballast and reinstall it in the space between the dash and the fairing as there is a lot of available real estate in there. I have no plans to install my Zumo on the dash as I prefer it to be as close to my left hand as possible.

I've checked out the Desierto 3 on another 800GS however I did not have a chance to ride it. The owner was about 6" shorter than and I and he praised it. The quality was top shelf but at $840 shipped I just couldn't do it, solely out of principle. I am very thankful another manufacturer stepped up and that offered an adjustable fairing for a couple hundred bucks less.
endurorazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #95
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Speeds only up to about 120kph (75mph) for short periods due to the new take away your bike on the spot "law" in BC for more than 40 over.
Nice fairing...... but that sucks!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #96
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo2 View Post
Nice fairing...... but that sucks!
a very effective deterrent though.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #97
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Torso length is the important measurement here. Inseam is null. Can those who have this shield and claim it works for them post torso measurement?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #98
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Torso length is the important measurement here. Inseam is null. Can those who have this shield and claim it works for them post torso measurement?
Not a lot of folks know their torso measurement, but height minus inseam ought to give a good approximation......unless you have a massively tall head!
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #99
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeup View Post
Not a lot of folks know their torso measurement, but height minus inseam ought to give a good approximation......
Good point!

Quote:
unless you have a massively tall head!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #100
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Quote:
The airflow is very smooth by comparison with other big screens I've used,
Javajude - curious what are those screens that you are comparing to?

Hey Ian, for us short guys - what is the height of the top of the composite? I'd like to see how, (if at all) that affects my vision.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #101
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
Javajude - curious what are those screens that you are comparing to?

Hey Ian, for us short guys - what is the height of the top of the composite? I'd like to see how, (if at all) that affects my vision.
Not sure of the actual virtical height, but the fairing comes up 12" from the front of the lights. It probably represents about a 10" vertical height from the top of the headlights. So, if you cut out a piece of cardboard 10" high and placed it on top of the lights (whilst sort of sat on the bike - probably easier with a helper !), then you would have some idea. I am 5'8" and don't have any issues with vision. However, there is no doubt that you are much more aware of something in front of you and in a way, it tends to make you feel more 'in it' than 'on it'.

If you were tempted, but are concerned about the height, you could order one that is shorter (up to 2" shorter), as that is very easy for us to do, but you would lose the GPS mount on the dash.

Ian
Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #102
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Hey Ian. I'm 5' 11" with a 30 1/2" inseam. I have a long torso, normal sized head. .... With the long torso I have, I typically need a taller windscreen. Will this fairing (truthfully) work ok for someone like me?

The look has grown on me. I like the cost compared to the way overpriced TT fairing. I like the GPS perch. I like the adjustable windscreen part. But before I buy, I'd want to know for sure that it will accommodate my tall upper body height (torso length).

Thanks Ian.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #103
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Hey Ian. I'm 5' 11" with a 30 1/2" inseam. I have a long torso, normal sized head. .... With the long torso I have, I typically need a taller windscreen. Will this fairing (truthfully) work ok for someone like me?

The look has grown on me. I like the cost compared to the way overpriced TT fairing. I like the GPS perch. I like the adjustable windscreen part. But before I buy, I'd want to know for sure that it will accommodate my tall upper body height (torso length).

Thanks Ian.
Well, so far, the tallest guy to have riden with one (that I know of) is 6'2" and he choses the screen to be 1" lower than full up, so on that basis you should be fine. As you have probably read by now, the screen design has a 'scoop' at the bottom which collects more air and rams it up behind the screen. This increases the effective height of the screen by a further 3", in other words you have another 3" of 'invisible screen' above the top of the screen.

Having said all that, there is no doubt that different people 'feel' wind disturbance differently. We set out to produce the best Fairing/screen there is ( at any price) for all sized guys and I'm now confident that we achieved it.

What I can say, is that if you got one and were not really happy with it, then you can return it (undamaged) for a full refund. The only monetary risk you would be taking is the return shipping. How's that sound ?

Cheers Ian
Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #104
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Thanks for those measurments Ian. I'm 5'7" and after playing with them it doesn't appear the height would be any isue for me either. I really want an adjustable windscreen, and I like the extra dash space, but was hoping to see more reports on the effectivness of the screen. Can you give us the measurments from the lights up to the top of the screen at its lowest setting and its highest setting.
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #105
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Interesting setup:

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/mirage.html
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 10:26 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote