Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,581
California Superbike School

What a day!
Got this for my GS riding husband for his birthday. He got to ride the BMW 1000RR. Man, what a machine. Found out halfway through the day that it was set on "rain mode" which cut back the power 45%. Had it set on sport for the rest of the day- Yee Haw. He was riding at Infineon Raceway and he said he never really got the thing out of 4th gear. Not sure where you could really use the bike to its full potential.
We thought that riding a sport bike at a road racing track wouldn't really translate too well to adventure riding, and just to experience it would be worth the price, but he learned a lot of good stuff that he will be able to use every day.
Now he has some track experience and isn't so intimidated by the idea of being on the track. He wants to go back with his 1200GS. Maybe when I get my turn to go, he will take the level 2 course.
Lots of shiny boots and fresh leathers out there that day. He was the only dirtbag ADV rider with his kevlar tour pants and dual sport boots. Cant wait to turn up next time on a GS and a KTM 950 adv running dual sport tires.

Pics to follow...

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Gotta see this
Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Hobbes950 OP
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,581
One of his first laps. Getting used to the bike. He has never been on a sportbike before. Said it was a strange position to get used to.

There was a coach for every two or three riders. They would lead giving signals, and follow to watch for faults and improvements. Here is the "carousel" turn. It is deceivingly tricky, with the elevation change making throttle control difficult and important. Here the coach is leading showing the sign for throttle. My husband said that the lessons were very simple, and individually did not seem to mean much, but put together, made a big difference.

As we found out later, being used to his GS, his positioning was too upright, arms out too far.

This is the last run of the day. He is lower on the bike, arms tucked tighter.

Lots of information to take in, lots to think about, but oh man, LOTS of fun!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,877
Mmmmm...track day...L.A. Woman got me one of those for my birthday year before last. Finally got around to using it a couple weeks ago.

You ADV chicks kick ass.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote