Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #46
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,603
Nice report gassie. Looks like a great deal of fun.

Maybe Salvadore will put your pic in Rider.

More please!
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #47
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,196
Great report Gas!

Were you on Rosen Ride or just hooked up with Justin?

I am trying to get my shit together to go this spring.

Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #48
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Hey Cap'n Ace, thanks for reading. I have another three days to cipher up.

Gordy, I set this up through Rosen's many moons ago. I've done this on my own and in tours. I wanted this trip to be fast and low pressure. I have NEVER ridden my Adventure off road without 50+lbs of gear before, and I can say, if you have any way to ever do these areas with a SAG to carry your gear, do it. The increase in speed is worth it. I didn't even break any spokes this time.

Justin @ Rosen's is an exceptionally low-key guy. He's a great rider, mecanico de mexicanada, and has very thick skin. We ribbed him unmercifully and made complete fools of ourselves until the wee hours of the morning, at his home.

The thing that I particularly like about Justin is that his rides are not Tours, they are rides. There is flexibility that other operators just don't have. Rosen's is definitely two thumbs up.

If you can swing it, the added fun of riding without the usual headaches of dragging all your stuff and dealing with accommodations, etc., is a helluva nice change of pace for me.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:31 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #49
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

I forgot to elaborate on the SAG truck. Justin's diesel 4x4 lost a front hub. Needless to say, HD 4x4 hubs aren't a common commodity in north central Mexico. That was back on day 2. Justin's brother in law, Raul, got his 2WD Chevy from Cuatemoc, and we reloaded up our stuff. No delay, and seemless. I was very impressed with Raul's ability to take that 2WD truck into and through places that would scare off a halftrack.

We poked around the lookout at Urique for longer than we should have - we couldn't help it as the view is just, well, you have to get there someday and see it to really comprehend the depth, ruggedness and great expanse of the Copper Canyon area.

From this vantage point, it's about 15 miles to the canyon floor. The recent rains made the surface of the already rocky and narrow road even more fun. Rough enough I didn't stop for any pics, I was having too much fine riding.

Along the ride down, again on my own, I saw a burro on the side of the road eating a bag of potato chips, Sabritas. No kidding. It was utterly bizarre, but I guess you eat whatever presents itself. I was too stunned to stop to take a pic, plus I was in an excellent groove riding and didn't want to stop.

During the decent, the temperature went from about 55F to about 80F. Urique is even lower in elevation than Batopilas. Papaya and banana palms abound.

The view from our hotel room:

Coming Next: The Night of the Burro.......and the Caguamas...

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:33 PM
Old 12-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #50
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,196
Gas,

Thanks for the info re: Rosens.

I think the added benefit of having a known place to sleep and eat is a great way to have a vacation, even thought the other (unknown) way is nice at times.

Keep it coming Mang!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #51
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,696
This report shows, just what no te ahuitas (tes) means!,

Other not as "macho" ADV riders, would have ended their ride very early on, with such a crappy weather up front, you instead lads, continued the adventure, and I bet you feel really satisfied about the prize that the ride gave you, in axchange for all the hard work it demmanded.

I congratulate you on your riding and writing skills
NAVIGATOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #52
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

One more post before I have to go to work. Dagnabit! It's gonna be a cold one here in M'sippi tonight, ~10F.

Killer was so happy to be in Urique, he demonstrated his rendition of a Mexican Hat Dance, but with no hat.

Within moments, we broke into the last of the Tecates. Raul and I trekked off into town to find some Carta Blanca Caguamas (liter sized beers) to appease our hearty thirsts this night, as the shadows of evening traced across our path.

I got a quick glimpse of the town as we searched for cervezas.

The colorful Town Hall of Urique.

The river was still demonstrating it's fury. We would have never been able to cross this torrent, and we were smart not to try, as it would have cost us precious time we didn't have. Justin's savvy and knowledge of the area enable him to rework the ride into something fantastic, which be remembered by us all.

Downtown Urique. Burros seem to be a sizeable portion of the local population. This burro appeared to be on his way to work in a no-nonsense manner.

As darkness fell, we went out for an amazing dinner or fish, fajitas, and the most sinister yet tasty hot salsa ever. It almost killed Clem. Twice.

We wandered the street(s) of Urique for a while in a something of a stupour, shouting profanities and obscure non-sensical phrases in Spanish, but the streets were all but empty. Where was everybody? My pic of Nick and the Burro didn't come out, but I have a surrogate pic on the way for later in the report.

During the evening hours, the beer flowed freely back at the hotel. I spent an hour chatting with Sr. Alvarro, a very interesting local rodeo bull cattleman, about several dirt roads through the area that I'll ride one day.

Our digs in Urique.

The next morning, feeling a bit crudo, we wandered around town. The weather, as poor as it was the beginning of the week, has turned marvelous, and greeted us with yet another perfect, crisp, and clear day.

If you ever go to Urique, you have to cross the footbridge. No te ahuitas!

It is pendulous and somewhat forboding when it's crossing a torrent.

Watch out for missing planks. Cuidado!

Or you'll fall into this, next stop, the Gulf of California.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:39 PM
Old 12-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #53
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Thanks, Nav. No te ahuitas bacame the theme for this ride because of that.

No worries.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #54
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
G'Day Gaspipe,

Great report and photo's . I remember reading somewhere that crossing into Mexico is a hassle with a bike that you do not own. Was this a problem for the KLR guys?
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #55
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Superlatives have all been used, but this trip report is awesome! Despite the setbacks, being there in inclement weather is something that will help you "know the canyon complex" better than most, Jason excepted. More, please, even the shitty photos!
Old 12-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #56
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
And for all your complaining... you'd do it all over again in a hot minute, wouldn't you GP.

Great report and photos... looks like a ball of a ride.

Creep
Old 12-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #57
Steelhead
Dirt Good/Street Bad

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe

Chupacabras. Indeed.
Gassie,
Chupacabras? Help me with this one will ya?
What does this mean? Goatsucker? Sucks like a goat?
Nipple of the goat?
Help this poor Gringo understand.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #58
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

The Chupacabra = the goatsucker.

It's something like the Jersey Devil, Snallygaster, etc. Leaves livestock corpses drained of blood. Vampiro.

I'd go back to Copper Canyon in a NY second. All I need is an excuse. There's so much to see and do, it'd take much more than a week to really get a look around.

Anyway, I have a couple more days of trip report to do. Tune in later for the ride back to Ceracahui, the "low" road, and the ride back to the border.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-19-2004, 11:58 PM   #59
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

As we wandered about the town of Urique the night before, with a BAC of about .30, we finally did find a burro. Raul tamed it like it was a mistress. Maybe it was..?

Nick, Paul, and he burro......a classic pose....

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:40 PM
Old 12-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #60
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

A reflection of Batopilas Canyon, two days prior. Nick and a gregarious Tarahumara Indian walking to Batopilas, about 12 miles away.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:45 PM