Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #136
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Hey Rog.....the great thing about living in south FLA.....riding year round without freezing your ass off!!!!

just remember my old philosophy when I lived in the midwest. After December 22 the days start getting longer, longer days meant boating season was on the way.......you guys are over the hump and heading to riding weather now!!!

ps
did you see I finally finished my Smokies RR? Miracle huh?
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #137
lakeforktx
" Proud to be white"

Oddometer: 18
Great reading from everyone and what great pics.... I would love to make that trip some day.. A+++++
lakeforktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #138
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Hey Rog.....the great thing about living in south FLA.....riding year round without freezing your ass off!!!!

just remember my old philosophy when I lived in the midwest. After December 22 the days start getting longer, longer days meant boating season was on the way.......you guys are over the hump and heading to riding weather now!!!

ps
did you see I finally finished my Smokies RR? Miracle huh?
Thanks everyone. Flarider yes I saw you finished and a fine report it was even if we had to wait a while for you to finish it haha.
I was thinking about a trip down your way but this time of year it would have been a bit pricy$$...maybe next year. I was offered a chance to go go bear hunting in canada in may at a reasonable rate so I decided to use that week and that $$ for the hunt...I've never hunted out of PA.. well unless you count dove hunting in MD when I was in the Coast Guard.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #139
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Take this joker into WV, all the way to back into VA, to Hopkins Gap Rd. in Fulks Run.
While you're in Fulks Run, and if you like some good cured ham, stop in this little place.

Have just a sandwich there, or buy a whole ham to take with, doesn't need refrigerated!
These are the kind of places I love to find when riding!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #140
Steve in ATL
How ya like me now?

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I think everyone grabs that photo. Here's our's from last August, when we transited from North to South on the way back from picking up my wife in D.C.

She refused, BTW, to render unto ADV the required salute. So I saluted her.

"The point of the journey is not to arrive - Anything can Happen!"
Steve in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #141
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
...this little place...
That's where we usually put in when canoeing the North fork in the Spring. Behind the building.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #142
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
last weekend on BRP

Rode to the BPR Last weekend and found it closed due to snow! Seems all the local kids love it for sledding and building snowmen. Always a cool place no matter the activity.
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #143
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
Take trips like that with your kids, they'll love it, my girls and my nephew, though grown still talk about ridin' with daddy! Those are the best times, when you get the one on one time with them. They may get a little bent when they don't get to go that time, that's not what they'll remember though, so enjoy them while they're young, time really does fly!
same advice here, started riding w/my daughter when she was 8 locally, long distance when she was 10. She's 15 now and if I go to the Store I still get the "look".
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #144
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
The Parkway is shut down from Wagon Road Gap, southbound to Cherokee. So we did this kind of riding instead.
Last Sunday: 60 degrees, not a breath of wind.
Got a little 30 miler in.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #145
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek View Post
...Got a little 30 miler in.
Sweet! I need one of those...

Hey Rog, are you thinking about doing the BRP again? If you did, what would you be sure to include, and what would you do different?

Yes folks, ride the kids around. It will help shape their adulthood views. I used to ride my little daughter on the tank in front of me before she was big enough to ride pillion. She would run out and petition a ride when I'd get home from work. She never piloted that bike, but later went and took the MSF beginner course and got the motorcycle endorsement.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #146
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek View Post
The Parkway is shut down from Wagon Road Gap, southbound to Cherokee. So we did this kind of riding instead.
Last Sunday: 60 degrees, not a breath of wind.
Got a little 30 miler in.
It looks like they do plow some of the Parkway? I wondered about that.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #147
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sweet! I need one of those...

Hey Rog, are you thinking about doing the BRP again? If you did, what would you be sure to include, and what would you do different?

Hey OnandOFF, yes I definately plan on doing it again. It is one of those rides I could take every year and not get tired of. I am not sure if I will make it this year or not.... I would like to take a 2 week tour out wet and ee the national parks ..yellowstone.... glacier etc. If I do that I am not sure I will have enough vacation time for a prkway trip this year. As far as include do you mean stops.. gear? As far a different... I think I would stay in Tellico Plains for a cple more days before turning back north. They have several day rides based out of there and leaving the gear a camp and riding the twisities of the dragon etc would prob be more fun. As mentioned, I have also thought about doing it earlier in the year. Doing it mid October can be iffy weather wise although it seems to work out for me. I just think the fall colors make the ride extra enjoyable.. especially for a photo buff like myself.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #148
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Interesting, Rog, I was actually hoping myself to go West this summer, visit some cool places and friends along the way and in CA. If it works out, I'm thinking more like 3 weeks.
Been thinking about doing the BRP / TN thing this Spring. Only been as far south on the BRP as Willville at Meadows of Dan. Might hit the dragon/Cherohala again but there's lots of other roads in the area that I haven't been on. I stay at Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge in Tellico Plains. Nice people and nice atmosphere; owners Jack and Lori are SABMAG friends. Might come back up the mountains on the West side of the valley instead of back up the BRP. I think 3 nights would be the bare minimum out, and probably too tight to really enjoy it. So I'm really just starting to think about how to plan it. I don't know yet how far down the BRP is reasonable to get in a day.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #149
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting, Rog, I was actually hoping myself to go West this summer, visit some cool places and friends along the way and in CA. If it works out, I'm thinking more like 3 weeks.
Been thinking about doing the BRP / TN thing this Spring. Only been as far south on the BRP as Willville at Meadows of Dan. Might hit the dragon/Cherohala again but there's lots of other roads in the area that I haven't been on. I stay at Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge in Tellico Plains. Nice people and nice atmosphere; owners Jack and Lori are SABMAG friends. Might come back up the mountains on the West side of the valley instead of back up the BRP. I think 3 nights would be the bare minimum out, and probably too tight to really enjoy it. So I'm really just starting to think about how to plan it. I don't know yet how far down the BRP is reasonable to get in a day.
I did it in 3 days going down from PA... sat.. sun.. monday...stayed Monday night at the cherohola motorcycle resort then headed back tuesday morning and actually made it home wednesday night as I recall. How far you make it in a day really depends on how much stopping at vistas you do and also how many times you leave the parkway for food etc. The are some cool things to see off the prkway... this time it was really about the ride and getting to do the complete prkway for me.. I was lucky enough there weren't even any detours.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #150
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Makes sense, Rog. I would like to take it at a leisurely pace. By that I don't mean riding slow, that's too hard, I mean being able to stop for whatever looks cool, and have planned cool stuff to check out along the way. It's like someone said, there are no signs along the BRP as to food, gas, lodging, so you've gotta plan out a bit ahead. I'm hoping to have figured out where to get gas, eat, and camp before loading the bike. Then I won't have to worry about figuring that stuff out on the road, just ride and see stuff. So also, where I stay will depend on what's along the way to see and how long it takes to see 'em. Which is why I look to your report and your input about what's a must-see, must-do, optional, or just not worth it. Since I'm about 30min to the parkway, I've got a good half-day lead or more on you coming from there. If I can average 45mph for 8hrs, with no stops, I can be at mile 330 first day. But I don't know what I should see along the way and/or how much time that will take up. What cool things would you do if you could plan in the time to do them?