Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #361
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered3000 View Post
I watched the news tonight and there is still snow falling in the area around Blowing Rock.The reports had up to a foot in the area and there is a chance of snow till Thursday.
I also saw another thread from someone in the Asheville area that said there was close to a foot there at their house north of Asheville.It doesn't look good for riding in western NC for a week or so.It's supposed to hit normal temps this weekend.
You guys down there definitely got hit harder this year than we did up here in PA.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #362
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
The trees don't have any leaves at low elevations either. You can always camp in the forest areas. There are a number of moto friendly private camp grounds to choose from. Most open in mid March.

Here is a nice place near the BRP that is open: http://www.blackbearresorttn.com/index.html

Or there is Willville open by the 6th.

Then you could do the Blue Ridge Motorcycle CG near Cruso: http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

Keep on going to the Cherohala and stay at Hunts http://www.huntslodge.com/ or The Cherohala Resort thats open year round: http://www.cycleresort.com/

Coming from Alabama, I usually run up to the Cherohala and camp in the forest for free, then do the Robbinsville area and stop around Cruso, NC. Then its more BRP riding till tire out.. then repeat. I primitive camp mostly till I'm ready for a hot shower and then I stop at a full service CG.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:16 AM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #363
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
... to the Cherohala and stay at Hunts http://www.huntslodge.com/ ...
Jack and Lori are great people!

In Tellico Plains, TN, south along 68, they have tent camping and six nice cabins which fill up fast. They take reservations. One decent main full-service bath facility, covered picnic area, and fire pit.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #364
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,054
Still no leaves on the trees in the high spots but spring is showing signs out there. We did 2231 miles in four days (4/30-5/4), all of Skyline and all but 40 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Can't wait to go back and explore more of the side roads.

Beautiful country!

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #365
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for sharing the pics Sour. I am thinking maybe a June trip down this year for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #366
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Trying to run the whole parkway starting 6/6, north to south. Leave NY on wed 6/5, be on the parkway starting 6/6. Take WV route when I come back north. A work scenario might derail the whole thing.

KTM 200, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #367
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

On Friday 5/3 we did the whole thing going north from Rt. 215 (mile 423 or so) even with the detour near Asheville which has now re-opened. In June I'd be concerned with tourist traffic/ranger speed enforcement preventing a one day through trip. We did Skyline on Saturday 5/4 before slabbing it back up north and already the mix of users (cruisers, minivan tourists, packs of bicyclists, hairy eyeball rangers) really slowed us down. The first 50 miles of skyline heading north early in the AM we saw nobody but it was mayhem the last bit into Front Royal as it approached 11am.

It is a beautiful ride but I'll never do Skyline again as the 35mph limit is painful but totally understandable seeing the mix of users.

Basically, this trip only whet my appetite to get back down there and ride all the side roads/hidden gems. I hope all the guys we met at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground headed to the Georgia Mtn. Rally didn't drown in that storm - it was beautiful weather heading north.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #368
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 401
Rockinrog,

Last week I was in the area and got on the BRP 15 miles north of Mt Mitchell where route 80 intersects. It was very foggy and cold until I reached Linville Falls.

I took these pics on the backside of Grandfather Mountain

I stopped to take a shot of the rockface on the side of the mountain, in the short time that I took me to get the camera out, the fog rolled down the hillside and covered the rocks.

Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #369
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for sharing Yukon... It looks like you had some foggy riding. I've had to leave the prky once because it was just too foggy and no longer safe to ride.
It looks like things haven't greened up yet up there.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #370
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
It looks like things haven't greened up yet up there.
I was surprised at the lack of greenery on that section of the parkway. This shot was taken on route 80 less than a mile from where I entered the Blue Ridge. It's amazing what a little change in elevation can do.

Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #371
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot to update the thread....but I am heading for the Parkway tomorrow morning. I wanted to get away and decided it would be nice to see what the parkway looks like in the summer. I have only ever been down in the fall.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #372
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Take pictures and share them here.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #373
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,883

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #374
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great photos!

Thanks for the great entertainment....Lots of fun for sure!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #375
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
This trip is on my to do list for sure. I live in N.C. for 4 years in the 90's, and never made it.....could kick myself now.
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote