Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,052
22 years ago a certain redhead...

...let me take her out to dinner.

although we didn't take my Concours that night, she always said the only reason she agreed to go out with me was to get a chance to ride my silver bike..

That first night was great, we saw Gorillas in the Mist, then had a great twin lobster dinner at the Post office pub in Grafton.

It wasn't until our second date, two days after our first that she finally got a chance to ride on the Connie. It was a beautiful sunny Sunday and I took Michelle on a long ride thru Southern NH. We picked up a couple of pumpkins for the front steps of my apartment and I cooked her dinner that evening. It was sometime during that date that I knew I would ask her to marry me at some point in my life

Now since that day we've owned many motorcycles, ridden many miles together and enjoyed every one of them. We always tried to ride on our anniversary. Back when we worked for other people it was a little harder, but for the last 15 years since we've both been self employed its been alot easier.

This year was no different.
To celebrate we both bought each other new helmets

and needed to give them a test run!

We took back roads from Oakdale thru holden, Rutland, Oakham and finally into the brookfields. Temps were cold this morning, I decided to let Michelle try my heated liner. She wouldn't give it back to me the rest of the day!

We arrive in West Brookfield to try out a new place for breakfast

No homemade hash so I stuck to my normal breakfast food...not a bad place to go, price was a little high..$21 for two.

From here we worked our way to Rt 19 and took that south to CT. Some back roads were planned to get us over to the Somers area and a quick visit to TSI Harley for a stamp for Michelle. We didn't hang out here long, I had more roads to explore towards our next stop.

One of them would have qualified for the current theme tag

that road caught my eye in one of my map books...so we took it to get us over Tolland. Turns out the road was twisty and had great views of Shenipsit Lake..

We even saw a few places that would make for a nice picnic spots...however the road is also dirt, not bad dirt like I just took the KLR on, but smooth hard packed dirt.

This brought us to Cider Mill Rd then onto Grant hill rd and into Coventry.
I wanted to check out the boyhood home of Nathan Hale, for two reason. I love history and especially of American Hero's and the road it was on looked twisty.

Both didn't disappoint. Swamp rd took us south to South St which is the road that goes thru Nathan Hale State Forest. A few miles down we came across the old house of the man that said..."I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Some claim that truly wasn't his last words, however it doesn't change the fact he was a true American hero.

I thought it would make a good location for the next CT tag that I may claim. So Michelle volunteered to pose for me..

She also took a quick photo of OSJ as well..

After a short break we saddled up and headed east for our next stop. TSI Harley in Columbia. Where Michelle had a point to make..

She says its okay to go naked under leathers!

And if you haven't noticed we are doing the Tour card contest together. We figured doubling our chances to win the Harley would be good for our Kitchen remodeling project. Dont worry Harley faithful, if we do win it then sell it to redo our kitchen I will place a Harley sticker on one of the cabinets!
The guys at this dealership are always friendly and inviting, we hung out in the show room snacking on popcorn and relaxing for a bit. Once our cards were stamped we got back on the other V-twin and headed north.

It was one of those days the sun peeked out at certain times but for the most part it was a little cloudy. We didn't stop much between Columbia and Pomfret but I did manage a on the fly shot.

Once in Pomfret we stopped a famous motorcycle hang out.. the Vanilla bean Café We always enjoy this place, again food is a little pricey but good. Usually there are always motorcycles of some kind in the parking lot. Today we pulled in just as a ST1300 and Harley were leaving.

We sat out doors and shared a chicken salad sammie for lunch and a piece of chocolate cake for desert. We were the only ones outside, however it was packed indoors.

It was early afternoon, we wished we had the whole day to play but we needed to be home by 3pm to get Lizzy off the bus. Caroline was working at the horse barn today which meant we needed to be somewhat responsible parents.

My buddy Chris had placed the current CT tag close by so I knew we had time to go get that. Which was on Rt 44 near the RI boarder.

From here we hopped on 395 north to 290 and finally home. We put our kickstand down at 2:50 pm, 22 years later with hundreds of thousands of miles ridden together.

I will say I have never been happier with my life and really look forward to the next 22 years of time with that certain redhead....

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
jachew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Seems "Connie" was an excellent matchmaker.
Happy Anniversary.
JC
jachew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,100
Nice lookin' ride ya got there (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Looks like a great way to spend an anniversary, thanks for taking us along.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Quacked
Loose Head Bolt

Oddometer: 176
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
paintslinger16
XL,FX,XR

Oddometer: 32
cool. Period
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Looks good! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 773
GoGoGavin41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
MacG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing the trip
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,052
Thank you all for the great comments...I have a bit of an update. The day after that ride ( Friday 15th) My wife was to take my 16 year-old daughter Caroline up to University of New Hampshire to visit with my oldest daughter Victoria for a weekend visit. Here mom was along for the ride.

I got a frantic call around 4pm from Mrs Dunkinduck, seems a ford pickup hit her on the side and she had a bad wreck, Caroline was in the back of an ambulance going the Merrimac valley hospital. They were to never make it to UNH.

By the time I got to the hospital Caroline was almost ready to be discharged, only cuts and bruises from the broken glass. Mrs Duck was also sore and had glass all over her. By the grace of god all three of them were alive and okay.

It was a long night waiting for x-rays and Cat scans. We got home early Sat morning. We found out where the suburban was stored and we just got home for saying good by to such a great truck.

It took my family 154,000 miles in 8 years! Several trips to Disney, lots of long weekend trips and even carried many motorcycle friends in her day.

Im now convinced that she also saved my family's life on her last ride

The truck that hit them on 495 in Haverhill mA

Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
I don't think it will buff out...
Glad to hear that everyone is ok.
TwilightZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
V8

Oddometer: 9,243
I'm glad to here that all are well.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Wow, F350 vs Suburban, that's a lotta metal. Glad everyone made it out OK.

Happy Anniversary!! Here's to many more for ya

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
TravelingTurtle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Saved by the Bell......

W0W, Dunkinduck,
Thanks God all your gils all alive and well. Hope they recovered fine and now everybody is enjoying each other company.