User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 921
F800 GS Light

HFL just posted the Wunderlich F800 GS Light project bike...

I Quote:

"Lurking somewhere deep inside the BMW F800GS adventure tourer is a genuine dirt bike yearning to escape. It just needs to shed some weight, gain a more aggressive power delivery and some tougher engine and frame protection. German accessories maker Wunderlich has set the 800 free by doing just that. This bike weighs 66 less pounds than the stocker, meaning it’s just under 400lbs (wet).
To achieve that weight loss, Wunderlich ditched the stock bodywork, replacing it with lightweight and tough plastic/kevlar items and knocked the whole stock tail section off. Our Gerglish is sadly lacking, but reading the press release, they’ve also done something about the underseat fuel tank, although it’s not clear what. Judging by the pictures, it’s been repositioned lower and further forwards and possibly decreased in size. There’s also aggressive front bodywork that could have come off any enduro bike, including a set of extremely powerful Hella spotlights.
we’re actually kind of disappointed with the minimal engine protection, but the new bodywork does appear to shield the radiator, protecting it if the bike gets dropped. That’s a notorious week point on the standard bike. Basically, this is the bike BMW should have in its showrooms and the model, at least in our opinion, for what an serious adventure tourer should be: good off-road, but still capable of covering some reasonable highway distance in comfort."

Link for more pics:
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f800gs-light/

Interesting...66 pounds...

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 339
Custom: Wunderlich F800GS Light...

from - http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f800gs-light/

"Lurking somewhere deep inside the BMW F800GS adventure tourer is a genuine dirt bike yearning to escape. It just needs to shed some weight..."

Motorrad, is this the next update? -Magile

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile
from - http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f800gs-light/

"Lurking somewhere deep inside the BMW F800GS adventure tourer is a genuine dirt bike yearning to escape. It just needs to shed some weight..."

Motorrad, is this the next update? -Magile
Hey Magile!

I beat you by four minutes in posting this

But at least you showed the other side!!

Now we can see which title racks up more visits...

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Can't help but think the cheaper option might be to trade it on a KTM 690 Enduro R or 950SE. Or XChallenge, if you must stay Bavarian.

All of these "now it's the perfect ADV bike because it's so light!" modifications forget that most ADVers, myself included, could start going to the gym more regularly and take more weight off the bike than Wunderlich ever could. And where do you put your luggage?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Merged the two threads..
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
All of these "now it's the perfect ADV bike because it's so light!" modifications forget that most ADVers, myself included, could start going to the gym more regularly and take more weight off the bike than Wunderlich ever could.
Amen to that brother! When I went on my Colorado trip I was easily 40 lbs over my recommended weight (damn cube job). Since then I've been trying to get my weight down and I bet I'm down at least 20 lbs. Besides, the bike has so much power I can't use it all on the dirt or the rear tire will be spinning in 4th gear!!!

I'm guessing that the weight reductions on this bike easily double if not triple or quadruple the price of the bike.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Can't help but think the cheaper option might be to trade it on a KTM 690 Enduro R or 950SE. Or XChallenge, if you must stay Bavarian.

All of these "now it's the perfect ADV bike because it's so light!" modifications forget that most ADVers, myself included, could start going to the gym more regularly and take more weight off the bike than Wunderlich ever could. And where do you put your luggage?
I think it's interesting to see what's possible. The 950SE may be cheaper but it's not lighter.
With all the talk/projects of "the perfect adventure bike" with twins and stuffing a Versys engine into a KTM 640/690 frame etc., this is a different approach. Does the F800 GS need two front disc brakes? The 950SE doesn't. Does it need a beak and a fender? Etc...etc.

More power...NO...more efficiency and lighter weight = better range.

Lighter weight...ride more places you wouldn't normally go?

Could you lose more weight? Maybe (I don't have any to lose) but it's always easier to move around (and pick up ) a lighter bike.

Could this be the lightest medium twin bike? Highland? Terra Mostro?

Couldn't it be factory built? Yes, but not likely. On the other hand that is what the 950SE is to the 990 Adv. and HP2 to the 1200GS, no? It's a niche no doubt and one that a lot of inmates like. Bring on more lightweight mid size bikes!!

It'll be interesting to see what the Triumph 800XC weighs but it's only likely to be slightly less weight if at all.

Luggage? That's easy! A Giant Loop Great Basin on the back and a Fandango tank bag. Done. No racks/boxes to bend/break/crack, add 20-30lbs. and turn the bike into a big wide tank .

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 10-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
I love the shaved/trimmed up plate holder!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
I think it's interesting to see what's possible. The 950SE may be cheaper but it's not lighter.
With all the talk/projects of "the perfect adventure bike" with twins and stuffing a Versys engine into a KTM 640/690 frame etc., this is a different approach. Does the F800 GS need two front disc brakes? The 950SE doesn't. Does it need a beak and a fender? Etc...etc.

More power...NO...more efficiency and lighter weight = better range.

Lighter weight...ride more places you wouldn't normally go?

Could you lose more weight? Maybe (I don't have any to lose) but it's always easier to move around (and pick up ) a lighter bike.

Could this be the lightest medium twin bike? Highland? Terra Mostro?

Couldn't it be factory built? Yes, but not likely. On the other hand that is what the 950SE is to the 990 Adv. and HP2 to the 1200GS, no? It's a niche no doubt and one that a lot of inmates like. Bring on more lightweight mid size bikes!!

It'll be interesting to see what the Triumph 800XC weighs but it's only likely to be slightly less weight if at all.

Luggage? That's easy! A Giant Loop Great Basin on the back and a Fandango tank bag. Done. No racks/boxes to bend/break/crack, add 20-30lbs. and turn the bike into a big wide tank .

Dave
All fair points. I had never really looked at the specs of the 950SE - it's a bit gob-smacking it weighs so much. I guess with a 950 engine, your frame and suspension componentry has to be pretty rugged to cope, and that adds weight.

I've just come back from a work trip into SE Asia, and it was freakin' amazing the tracks you'd find people riding their Honda Wave 110s through, usually two-up, carrying a chicken, wearing flip-flops. I guess there's a lot to be said for a lightweight, simple bike.

Still, rather than go down this road, I think if this sort of thing flicks your switch there's plenty in the factory catalogues that would make a better start point - the XChallenge being one, the little Aprilia twin is quite nice too.

But I guess if we all liked the same things, this would be a pretty boring forum!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
I still think this bike is still in the idea/Photoshop/cad phase. You can plainly see the fakeness in the plastics and such. The artist basically took a actual photo of the F800GS and went to work in Photoshop or illustrator. It's a cool idea though! I hope they actually build it!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Forks are WAY differnt.... and just one disc.
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Jeesus that is one ugly bike with too little ground clearance..!

-W- screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 11:48 PM
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Cool, I've often thought that if my GS ever got relegated to purely offroad duties, I'd do something similar. Thing is, it'd have to be really high miles/scraped up and massively devalued that it WOULDN'T make more sense to sell the GS in road trim and buy something dedicated to offroading, even something comparatively pricey like a KTM 690 or Husky.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GS and know they are great offroad (for the type of bike they are), but if I was going to sacrifice range and slab comfort, I'd probably go for something that was already offroad dedicated.

Oh and not having hand guards on a bike like that is mental, IMO.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
I'd rather put what is likely an ungodly amount of money for those mods towards an ATK 700 or some other overbred machine if I really had that big a woody for an 80 HP dirtbike. Even if you could shave enough weight off the GS to make it worthwhile trying, you'd still have squat for ground clearance...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Real or not, needed or not, this bike is doing just what it was designed to do...put the name Wunderlich before your eyes. Yeah, it would cost a ton to mod a stocker this much and there's no indication of where the fuel is or how much it carries, but it's a nice exercise and if some of the cool bits and pieces come up for sale, so much the better. I'm happy with mine just the way it is, but I hope this one shows up at the next moto show.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote