ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Birddodger OP
Gets lost on purpose

Oddometer: 158
Hells Half Acre Road

I will be commuting home to Nevada in a few days and I was looking to get a little dirt under my wheels and go somewhere I have never been before along the way.
Is Hells Half Acre Road ( between hwy108 and Hwy 4) doable in a couple hours or is it a ride that will have to wait untill I can take some time for it.
I have really been wanting to explore in this area but I dont have much time this trip.
I will be spending a couple hours along the way exploring regardless. any sugestions?

Birddodger screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 08:44 AM
Birddodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Birddodger OP
Gets lost on purpose

Just the diversion I needed. I easily could have done it in under two hours if it wasn't for bike issues and lack of a map.( took me over seven) The grade out of the canyon was a piece of cake as it has been freshly graded.
I'll be back again.

Thanks again for the assistance Gary I made it home with no more problems
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Birddodger OP
Gets lost on purpose

Well I rode it back the other way on my return trip. This time I bypassd the gorge and rode around the lake. It took me 1Hr 38Min.

Here's a pic of the road out of the canyon. I was kinda dissapointed I was expecting somthing a little more challenging
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
I also rode it a couple of times in late Sept, very confusing but after second trip I now have the shortist way. I have Tracks if needed.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
lionsroaar
I meant to do that!!

Oddometer: 149
Where exactly is this? I'm pretty familiar with that area and this doesn't ring a bell...Thanks!

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 932
FR 52/FR 5N14 between Dorrington, Calaveras County and Strawberry, Tuolumne County, CA.

Map available : http://www.nationalforeststore.com/m...&Category_Code=

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
Birddodger OP
Gets lost on purpose

Thanks Jerry
Riding circles in the big trees had me thinking about a GPS. But I'll probably hold out on getting one for a while.
I had a map for about 20 min. I got to take 1 good look at it before some hunters decided they needed it more than me. I hope it helped them out. It sure made me get to know the place better. They got my Cal map also and screwed up my ride back a bit. But if I had my cal map I probably wouldnt have been messing around near Wellington and found a wonderfull little canyon with some challenging sections that dumped me out near gardenerville.A great Start for the ride back.

A bit rocky as you climb out of the canyon
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
That looks like a fun area. Re: Hells Half acre rd. There are two rts most of us use. Hells half acre is basically 5n02/5n22 to the Dam or 5n02/5n22/5n95 to the intake of Beardsley, the latter is the old Hells half acre rd and actually starts as a dirt off to the west of the pavement going down to the Stanislaus river from hwy 4.

The easier rt, is rt 52 or 5n14/5n02. From 4 stay on the pavement, cross the river at Sourgrass meadow and turn south where the pavement ends. If you stay on the most traveled rd you have a good chance of staying on course.

The problem with the maps is that they do not show all the roads and most are not marked on the ground, so easy to get lost even with maps. They also have a tendancy to use names or FS numbers depending on which map you have. I just picked up the latest one and it shows fewer roads than the old ones, but the roads it does show are colored so easy to follow .........on paper
I also have rtes, but someone will have to teach how to post them. A GPS does make it easier.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I'd be interested in tracks of the route. Ridden what we call the old haul road from 108 to 4, starts out as 4N88. Is this Hells Half Acre Rd?
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddodger
Thanks Jerry
Riding circles in the big trees had me thinking about a GPS. But I'll probably hold out on getting one for a while.
I had a map for about 20 min. I got to take 1 good look at it before some hunters decided they needed it more than me. I hope it helped them out. It sure made me get to know the place better. They got my Cal map also and screwed up my ride back a bit. But if I had my cal map I probably wouldnt have been messing around near Wellington and found a wonderfull little canyon with some challenging sections that dumped me out near gardenerville.A great Start for the ride back.

A bit rocky as you climb out of the canyon
'The Slide' on the road coming up through Red Canyon. The road bed has been leveled out over the years, it used to be off-camber and loose tilting your truck towards the edge and a long roll to the bottom. A great ride.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2
I'd be interested in tracks of the route. Ridden what we call the old haul road from 108 to 4, starts out as 4N88. Is this Hells Half Acre Rd?
4n88 is a portion of the railway bed, they used to run the logging trains over. The rail bed is still there under different FS numbers but the portion now 4n88 that runs along the river is gated. Old enough to remember the trains, but too old to remember where they all went.

Be happy to post up a couple of routes but will have to do some learnin to fiqure how.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
4n88 is a portion of the railway bed, they used to run the logging trains over. The rail bed is still there under different FS numbers but the portion now 4n88 that runs along the river is gated. Old enough to remember the trains, but too old to remember where they all went.

Be happy to post up a couple of routes but will have to do some learnin to fiqure how.
The trains went down to the mill in Standard and the line to Beardsley was built so they could log out the lake before it was flooded and to help with the dam building. The rails were pulled up in the early 60's, along with the rails from Lyon's Lake and trucks took over. Too young to remember any of that but my wife's father and grandfather worked in the woods and gave me the history lesson.

I recall the gate on 4N88. IIRC I found a trail that went past the old tram way that goes down to the powerhouse at Spring Gap and had to hop back on the Hwy and up to Beardsley Rd to get to the bridge to cross the river. Been a couple of years since I did that ride.

In the 'Layng Down Tracks' section of the forum there is a section that tells how to upload gps tracks. I'm up in Sonora/Pheonix Lake area at least once a month and bring my Dual Sport when possible, I should PM you next time I'm up there with a bike-the wife doesn't like it when I ride alone.