User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
vroom vroom OP
Forever Young!

Oddometer: 16
Wind!!!! What to do?

I went for a ride in New Mexico yesterday in the early morning and was doing 75 MPH North on I 25 from ABQ to Santa Fe. I ride a F660 GS Dakar with a link that lowers the seat two inches. A half a dozen bikes passed me going 80 to 85 MPH. and they seemed to be stable.
After going up a long, steep hill and starting the descent there was a slight left turn at which time I felt a wall of wind pushing me to the right. My bike began to drift and it felt like that wall of wind was not going to let me negotiate the left turn. My instinct had me drop my ass to the the left of the bike and ride it out. It was scary and I want to know what you guys do when wind like this plays a part?
Is this a common experience? Is there anything mechanically that may be wrong with my bike? I have the Weber racing suspension that is adjustable. I've never played with it but is there anything to do to make it safer to ride in wind?
vroom vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Not a day ride report and should probably go to perfect line. In fact, search there as "Wind Riding" has been a previous topic.

Good Luck,

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
vroom vroom OP
Forever Young!

Oddometer: 16
To post or not to post?

Hi,
Where does this post belong?
I'm not sure what perfect line you are referring to.

Yes, I did search wind, wind riding, pointers for riding in the wind etc. to no avail. Do you have anything else helpful to add or can you answer my questions?
vroom vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,812
Moved to the Riding forum.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Lartech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wind is just a part of our riding here in Wyoming. Gust definitely could catch you off guard. I stay loose in the shoulders and hand grip (kind of like a golf swing) that will keep the transfer of input into the bars when your upper boddy is getting blown around. Bend and drop your elbows so that your not stiff arming the bars. Shift in the saddle and give a lean into the direction of the wind.
If I'm going into a corner, I'm dropping my speed and pushing the bars through the corner while leaning.
Lartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Lartech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I don't try to keep up with other riders in the wind. The faster you go the more work it is to ride in those conditions.
Lartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Countersteer into the wind. If the wind is from the right, push on the right handlebar enough to keep a straight course.

Stay loose in the saddle. Let the bike move around a reasonable amount under your stable upper body.

Slow.
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Stop fighting. Keep loose and have fun.

I rode through Eastern Washington one time on my Dakar when it was so windy that for about an hour I was leaned into the wind so far I could touch the pavement with my finger tips.

It was a bit tiring but I thought it was fun and a great experience.

Ride Safe Ride Often.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 23,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom vroom
I went for a ride in New Mexico yesterday in the early morning and was doing 75 MPH North on I 25 from ABQ to Santa Fe. I ride a F660 GS Dakar with a link that lowers the seat two inches. A half a dozen bikes passed me going 80 to 85 MPH. and they seemed to be stable.
After going up a long, steep hill and starting the descent there was a slight left turn at which time I felt a wall of wind pushing me to the right. My bike began to drift and it felt like that wall of wind was not going to let me negotiate the left turn. My instinct had me drop my ass to the the left of the bike and ride it out. It was scary and I want to know what you guys do when wind like this plays a part?
Is this a common experience? Is there anything mechanically that may be wrong with my bike? I have the Weber racing suspension that is adjustable. I've never played with it but is there anything to do to make it safer to ride in wind?
Wind is common in NM too. I just ride it out on my little XT 250. I also lower my profile and speed a little since I have no fairing or windshield.

You might also try highway 313 (the old Route 66) between Bernalillo and Albuquerque. Most motorcycles take that road for that 7 miles. The speed is about 50 - 55 MPH, the road parallels the railrunner, and the pastural lands there are beautiful. I like it a lot better than the construction through I-25.

Slowing down and allowing more space between you and traffic is a really good idea when possible too, since wind sheers have been known to slam motorcycles, cars and 18-wheelers around without any warning on I-25. So even if you are staying in your lane well, other people may not.

Roadrunner screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 05:55 PM
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
You need to relax and it will take more force on the bars to stay on course. Did you lower the front suspension as well as the rear??
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Wind? Welcome to riding in NM. Just wait until "spring" is here.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,364
What were those 1/2 dozen bikes that passed your going 80-85?

I'm betting they were probably bigger and heavier bikes than your 660, makes a lot of difference in cross winds.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Shifting down a gear or two can make a difference, you are looking for the rpm of max torque .
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #14
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
I got my butt handed to me in the wind down near Vegas last May on my poorly loaded DR650.

Since then, I've improved my packing and that helps but is not your issue.

I "tried" at the time to get down behind my windscreen and hide from the wind. This just made it all worse.

Since then, I've gotten some more time in the wind and learned at least for my DR650, loaded for camping, to sit up, elbows up and stay loose -- helps immensely -- you could call it the dirt bike riding "attack position" from the waist up if that helps one to picture it.

Good luck!

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,958
I ride a Dakar also and I know that these sudden gusts are problematic at times.

In addition to the good advice above, try the "sail" method. On the windward side of the bike, turn your knee OUTWARD into the wind as far as is comfortable. This will create a counter-steering affect since it will want to pull the bike toward the wind. When a harder gust comes along, it automatically increases the counter-steering effect.

It will really help the steering. I use it commonly on bridge crossings which tend to get a lot of wind.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote