Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #91
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Your hostel experience reminds me of a trip to Paris where we hostelled it. A mash up of people from all over with one thing in common; travel. And that's all you need. Motels are nice and private, Campgrounds are cheap and "natural", but hostels are where you meet the world.

Kudos and safe trip!
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #92
yakimushi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the gear report!
yakimushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #93
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Homeboy is in Tuxpan, Mexico finally.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #94
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
Ah, beautiful Tuxpan. Home of the invasion of Fidel and Che to Cuba in 1956 and now home to the Cuban/Mexico friendship Museum. Its worth a trip if you've got nothing else to do in the city, the water taxi is entertaining.

Glad to see you're chugging along.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #95
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Ah, beautiful Tuxpan. Home of the invasion of Fidel and Che to Cuba in 1956 and now home to the Cuban/Mexico friendship Museum. Its worth a trip if you've got nothing else to do in the city, the water taxi is entertaining.

Glad to see you're chugging along.

Shoot. The dummy spent half the day talking on the internet instead of having an adventure...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #96
LadyCruiser
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 279
Cool trip :)
Ride Safe, Good luck
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #97
JGBrown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
That was your fault since you wouldnt quit talking to me on facebook.

But I needed some rest time anyways, a few adventures happened whether I wanted them to or not, Im writing about them now. Lost quite a few photos, but a couple turned out.
Some of the highlights were sleeping in an abandoned building by a shop, having my saddlebag catch fire, and being given a ring by a motorbike cop.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739193

JGBrown screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 09:40 PM
JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #98
JGBrown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Having my faith in humanity restored.

I left Denton, heading to Ft Worth to stay with a friend. I left pretty late and ended up overshooting the road I needed to be on to avoid the toll roads(yes I'm that cheap)
I ended up an exit between Ennis and Italy, about an hour south of where I needed to be. As I finished gassing up, I heard a car engine race and accelerate through the intersection, instead of making the turn up onto the interstate, he ran up over the bank and crashed into the other side of the deep concrete V of a drainage area. He didn't hit the brakes until he'd hit the curb, if he did at all. It was maybe 10 ft deep, and 7 ft wide, so the car hit fairly high up.

He got out, and as I arrived he and a bystander were dragging the passenger out, not the best idea as she was hurt, she got hung up in her seat-belt and started screaming. I won't forget the sound of that anytime soon. We got her untangled, and lying/standing since the V was so steep, lying down was just about the same as standing. Holding her hand and trying to talk to her while she was screaming and crying was hard, I got her to talk a bit, she was only 28. The driver without even looking at her once we had her lying down, said he had to take a leak and vanished up and out of the drainage area. He was in much better shape, as he had got the airbag instead of the dash. I was lucky and after asking around, one of the people standing around up top got me a blanket from their truck so at least she had something supporting her head. Maybe 5 minutes later the police showed up, the bank was so steep that for the officer to get out, I had to stay part way up, and she had to pull herself up by my knee and then I could help her up the rest of the way.
Paramedics arrived, they strapped a board to her back, then rolled her over, in the meantime the firefighters ran a rope around a signpost and dropped it down, While it was a good anchor point, the angle wasn't, it was perpendicular to her angle, so she basically had to be dragged/pushed along the edge of the V until she was at the end and then the rope would take her up. I was a bit surprised, I would have thought they'd use a winch, or the pickup that was parked at the right angle to drag her out with bumper hooks, but they are the experts, so I'm sure there was a good reason that we hauled her out with old fashioned human power. It was interesting to be a part of it, a lot of the techniques like the rope work were done exactly how I'd learned them in wilderness first aid years ago.
I had to talk to the paramedics and police, first because they wanted to know where she was hurt, and what happened. The girl had told me about her purse under the seat, so I passed that on, when the officer went through it, she found out that the car was the girl's, and that she and the driver had a baby not even 5 days earlier. Because of his lack of breaking, and what a driver behind them saw, it seemed they may have been arguing, and either he accelerated in frustration, and missed the turn, or disgustingly, that he may have done it on purpose. He never did come back from the bathroom. How a person could leave someone they've just had a child with screaming in pain face down on the concrete and disappear, without even comforting them, saying anything or even giving them a second look, while responsible for their pain is awful. He certainly restored my faith in humanity. I don't know if he had a warrant out, or if he had drugs on him or what, but even then he could have at least spared something for his lover before vanishing.
After asking around, the gas station attendant, and the owner of the restaurant across the road hadn't seen him. It turned out he did a runner, never to be seen again. While one officer was busy with sorting out the towing and witnesses, I went with the other one to sweep the lot and rest area, as they said it was very common for people to hide up in the trucks, and two lights would have a better chance then one. We never found him, but as I was leaving, the officer was taking his car up the road for a last sweep before calling in a helicopter with thermal imaging. With some luck, that intersection had only a few businesses, and then nothing but flat fields and road for many miles in any direction, so they figured they would spot him fairly quickly, as he wouldn't have gone too far after crashing that hard. I am still hoping they caught him, and that whatever reason he was running caught up to him.
I learned quite a few things from it, mostly that I never want to have an accident, if people are just going to get out of their cars and stand up above and look down at me, I'll pass on that one. I learned that the first aid training I've had does apply well in real world situations, not just camping. I found myself always waiting for someone else to take over, and being slightly slower than I would have been if I felt I was in charge of the situation. Instead of getting people doing things. I think that was because we always had instructors directing us, a behaviour to work on if there is a next time.
I learned that bystanders will do just that, stand. I asked if anyone had a coat or blanket, as I didn't want to get out and go all the way to my bike and back leaving the girl. Finally when I started asking people individually, one person said no, but then remembered they had a blanket over their Christmas presents. One pushed their on star, and I asked one to call 911, it seemed that most people just expected that someone else would have or would do everything.
I learned to keep an eye on everyone involved, not just the one who I'm dealing with. when there is an accident, or someone is hurt, not knowing what happened it is too easy to assume everyone involved is a victim.
Back on the road, the whole incident delayed me quite a bit more, but I eventually made it to Ft Worth to meet my friend, although the screaming, and the memory of sitting in the ditch with the red and blue strobes lighting her face stuck in my head for a while longer. I hope she found her way to something better, and healed up safe.

"Gonna tell you something you knew all along/Yes I know we all die at the end of the road/
Ain't nothing round here you can hold/When I go just take my bones scatter them from here back to my home."

Bangor Mash
-The Devil Makes Three

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #99
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Photo taken by my wife at the accident scene we came across.

Everyone in our group has had some sort of 1st Aid training. The first people on the scene, an older couple who had been drinking, ended up running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The man in the maroon shirt standing away from the scene is an 18wheeler driver who, did just that, stood there. Only one person in our group froze up, and he was a Marine. My wife did her job keeping kiddo in the truck and answering questions.

I dont know what happened in this accident, other than the bike left the road and struck a culvert. It didn't help that both rider and passenger wreaked of alcohol. Passenger was flung into the fence, receiving fatal head trauma (no helmet). I immediately went to work giving her CPR (I'm in gray shirt closest to motorcycle) and kept at it until first responders arrived with AED, some 40+ minutes later. When the paramedics finally arrived, they called the TOD.

We did what we could. You did what you could. You've got to be proud and glad that you have the presence of mind to help out the way you did!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #100
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #101
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
Dont think twice, its alright

Dude that is totally intense about the accident and the guy walking off leaving his wife alone. I-35 sucks, and your in the heart of urban madness......what the hell is going on with people that they are so f*cking wacked out??? Sad...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #102
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Great trip report.

Many commenting on your bike so I feel I have to share my memories too.

I had one of the very first CX 500 in early 1977. It truly was a ground breaking motorcycle, one of the most significant of the last 25 years of the 20th century. First with tubeless tires, no kick start, water cooled, shaft drive, electronic ignition. I sold my 500 cc BSA single to buy one....

I rode mine down to the French Motorcycle GP at Nagaro near Toulouse. Kenny Roberts, Barry Sheene, Greg Hansford, Johnny Cecotto. On the way home I hooked up with Barry Coleman the editor of Motocourse. He was riding a Martini Hailwood XS1100 Yamaha and we ran hard to catch the Ferry and again up the M5 from Weymouth.

Anyhow good luck to you on your travels on such an awesome rebuild of an iconic motorcycle.

TH

PS I'd quite like one of those auxiliary gas tanks for my KLR!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #103
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,386
I'm glad you're doing well Jeremy, and it wouldn't be an adventure if everything went as expected, right? I'm glad you were able to help during the accident, the driver who fled is a douchebag and deserves everything he gets down the road.

I look forward to reading the rest of your report so far - you especially intrigued me with the officer and ring bit. Sounds like it should be interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #104
JGBrown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In Fort Worth, I stayed with a friend, and his family. Lynn, Linda and Leyland, I hope I got the spelling right! I had shipped a couple packages to his place in the hope of picking them up, and continuing on after spending a night. Snow in the state my stuff was being shipped from decided to change that, the package took 5 more days to arrive. I didn't have a watch with me on the trip, my alarm clock died on me. Lynn hooked me up with a sweet Seiko watch that I'll be wearing long past the end of the trip. He collects some pretty sweet stuff.
Lynn with a few of his toys.

For the 5 days there I caught up on writing and homework,

and I almost didn't want to leave! Got fed delicious food, and shown cool places around where they lived
Lynn and Linda at the start of the tour

Sometimes I feel like this guy

and I proved to have an amazing knack for catching photographs of people just at the wrong moment.

At Christmas, overkill is the way to go

Fort Worth Art Museum, this sculpture has to be seen in person, the sheets of iron look to be about 2" thick, and create a huge echo chamber.

a really beautiful painting, looks almost like some of the ruins I have recently been climbing on.

Some Bronze sculptures,

I sure wouldn't have wanted to be the guy in charge of grinding this one before applying the finish

Linda at the art gallery

Nature's last stand

Horse parking only?

While I was there, someone left a stray dog where Leyland worked at the local gas station, they have a huge menagerie of pets, and have taken in quite a few strays. Lynn raises some really cool turtles as well. I wanted to take her with me, she was an adorable dog, but I couldn't figure out where to put her.

so a huge thank to you guys, you really cheered me up, and I enjoyed every day I was there!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #105
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
CHE COMANDANTE !!!!!KEEP ROLLING
zoki1 is offline   Reply With Quote