User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #136
kpick
Free Range Human

Oddometer: 700
Hi Jim,
Can you suggest a unit for a DRZ 400 that is used for slow speed trail riding 90% of the time. The other 10% is 200 mile highway runs.

Thanks
k.

www.NationalCPRCertification.com
kpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #137
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpick View Post
Hi Jim,
Can you suggest a unit for a DRZ 400 that is used for slow speed trail riding 90% of the time. The other 10% is 200 mile highway runs.

Thanks
k.
If you ride warm weather, (above 40°) the 4 cell will work great for you. Evo 2 - 4 Cell Ballistic. The Sycl 2.3 will also work.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #138
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Jim,

I'm confused. For my 2008 BMW R1200GSA the chart calls for a (100-011) 8 cell battery but you and site info recommend the (100-012) 12 cell for 1000cc and above bikes.

Ballistic 8 cell 112MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 103MM (H) Ballistic 8 Cell 275 CCA 835 grams 1.81 lbs.
Ballistic 12 cell 112MM (L) x 86MM (W) x 103MM (H) Ballistic 12 Cell 410 CCA 1100 grams 2.5 lbs.
Yusa YTX14-BS 150MM (L) x 87MM (W) x 145MM (H) YTX14-BS 200 CCA 3700 grams 8.1 lbs.

1. What is the difference in an EVO12 and EVO12L battery?
2. If I install an EVO12 in my 08 GSA and operate in normal temperatures will it just start my bike and run like the old lead acid battery?
3. Will it run all installed accessories with the bike running? You mentioned something about it isn't able to do deep cycle.
4. I don't get the 4 or 5 start cycles to "warm up the battery". Does the battery need to warm up or just press and go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
it's been over a year since this thread started.... so how's the mid-term feedback on these batteries?

it's well known Li-ion cells don't perform at full capacity under colder conditions. how much power reduction can one expect to see for say 10f degree?

6 ah is not much reserve. I'd want a battery with at least equal to OEM amp hour reserves before factoring in reduction in performance for cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
It's not entirely accurate to say that these batteries don't perform well at lower temperatures because their chemistry allows them to self-heat so quickly. At 10° F you would need 3 - 4, 5 second starting pulses to heat the battery. The AH rating is misleading because these are lightweight starting batteries not designed for deep cycle use, like powering electrics when the bike isn't running for long periods. We recommend using the CCA or cold cranking amps when comparing to the OEM.

If you replace your OEM that has say 180 CCA with an LFX battery with 275 CCA you should have enough reserve starting power for your cold weather starts.

* Up to 80% smaller than the stock battery
* Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery
* Service life of over twice a lead acid in similar conditions
* Industry leading 3 year warranty
* Designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
* Completely “dry” technology so batteries can be mounted in any direction
* Non-toxic, recyclable, and can be air shipped
* Applications for powersports vehicles from 50cc - 2300cc
* Tested extensively by professional race teams
* Impact and water resistant

Each Ballistic Performance Component Battery is assembled by hand in the U.S.A. using computer designed custom cells, cases, and hardware.

NOTE: Batteries are smaller than OEM batteries and may require spacers and shims to properly install and secure.

Works with the original equipment charging system

No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #139
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Jim,

I'm confused. For my 2008 BMW R1200GSA the chart calls for a (100-011) 8 cell battery but you and site info recommend the (100-012) 12 cell for 1000cc and above bikes.

Ballistic 8 cell 112MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 103MM (H) Ballistic 8 Cell 275 CCA 835 grams 1.81 lbs.
Ballistic 12 cell 112MM (L) x 86MM (W) x 103MM (H) Ballistic 12 Cell 410 CCA 1100 grams 2.5 lbs.
Yusa YTX14-BS 150MM (L) x 87MM (W) x 145MM (H) YTX14-BS 200 CCA 3700 grams 8.1 lbs.

1. What is the difference in an EVO12 and EVO12L battery?
2. If I install an EVO12 in my 08 GSA and operate in normal temperatures will it just start my bike and run like the old lead acid battery?
3. Will it run all installed accessories with the bike running? You mentioned something about it isn't able to do deep cycle.
4. I don't get the 4 or 5 start cycles to "warm up the battery". Does the battery need to warm up or just press and go?
Answer 1. The (L) is left side negative for bikes with short battery cable leads.
Answer 2. It should have better cranking that your OEM
Answer 3. Bike running not a problem. Deep cycle means you don't want to leave accessories on for long periods without the motor running which would drain the battery.
Answer 4. Unless you are riding in below freezing weather it will just press and go.If you went with the 8 cell you might have 4 or 5 cycles at 30° or lower
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #140
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Sounds good thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #141
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Very happy

Recently installed the 8 cell Ballistic in my 03 Dakar. Wanted to wait to pipe in until after we've had some cold weather here to address perceived cold start worries some have contemplated. Bike has not been started for three days, during which time it's been down in the teens. Currently 24 f. Pushed the button, bike almost fired up. Second attempt, bike came right to life. Very happy w/ this battery, prompt service, and ADV discount. Many thanks!

I should note: bike is parked out doors, under cover.

best
eanth

eanth screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 07:10 AM
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #142
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Hi all. The link is not working. Cant get through it. I need the price list for my '04 F650GS.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #143
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
what is the recommendation for a replacement for my weebeastie (Zuma 125). I would love to lighten the weight a bit or use some of the battery space for a mini storage area.
Probably on the website, but I don't know much about these electrons and such.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #144
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
what is the recommendation for a replacement for my weebeastie (Zuma 125). I would love to lighten the weight a bit or use some of the battery space for a mini storage area.
Probably on the website, but I don't know much about these electrons and such.
The Sycl 2.3 Ah or the 4 Cell Ballistic will crank it over just fine. The 2.3 is slim and tiny, and the 4 Cell is square. So the 2.3 leaves more room for tools, but is shrink wrapped with cable connectors. The Ballistic has brass terminals that your cables bolt to. Just personal preference especially for street use.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #145
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer View Post
Hi all. The link is not working. Cant get through it. I need the price list for my '04 F650GS.

Checked the link. Could have been a few minutes while I was updating the site. Recommend the 8 Cell ballistic for your F650.

Use the BARSTOW coupon code for $10 off.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #146
AngryScot

Quote:
The Sycl 2.3 Ah or the 4 Cell Ballistic will crank it over just fine. The 2.3 is slim and tiny, and the 4 Cell is square. So the 2.3 leaves more room for tools, but is shrink wrapped with cable connectors. The Ballistic has brass terminals that your cables bolt to. Just personal preference especially for street use.

Thanks,

Jim
Thanks, will look at them online and see what will work best. For the smaller 2.3 I would need the connector kit right so I can use the existing cables that are on the scooter right? That jumps the price quite a bit.

AngryScot screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 07:45 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #147
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Thanks, will look at them online and see what will work best. For the smaller 2.3 I would need the connector kit right so I can use the existing cables that are on the scooter right? That jumps the price quite a bit.
You don't need the kit unless you want plastic quick disconnects. The battery has connector lugs that take 1/4" x 1/2" bolts and nuts or your existing hardware.

The Ballistic comes with the bolts too. Also a molded foam insert you can cut to fit your battery box.

Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #148
AngryScot

Quote:
You don't need the kit unless you want plastic quick disconnects. The battery has connector lugs that take 1/4" x 1/2" bolts and nuts or your existing hardware.

The Ballistic comes with the bolts too. Also a molded foam insert you can cut to fit your battery box.

Jim
oh, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. I ain't that bright
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #149
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Got one in my GL650swi, Thanks Jim!, the bike has never cranked so well or started so fast. now I am looking for a locking tupperware container to fit in the extra space available int he battery box.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #150
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,576
herrhelmet, do you still make the 12 cell A123 battery?
space is offline   Reply With Quote