User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #181
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Special offer

FOR A LIMITED TIME... ORDER ANY 8 CELL OR 12 BATTERY AND GET A FREE CELL BALANCE / VOLTAGE TESTER ($12.95 VALUE )

Just mention you want one on the ordering instructions on the site. 10% Discount coupon KOTW still applies too!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #182
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
HH
Thanks for the quick shipping. Bought it Tuesday, received it Wednesday and installed it last night. Bike starts strong. Let's see how it performs over the rest of the summer
Groop
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #183
fastbikedroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just placed my order. Look forward to dropping it in !
fastbikedroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #184
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Jim

Being electrically challenged, I have to ask these questions... sorry.

Most of my rides are multi-day adventures... 1 week to 3 or 4 weeks in duration... mostly bush camping. I usually recharge my headset (Sena SMH10) and bluetooth hub (Sena SR10) at the end of each days ride via a cig plug in my tank bag. Sometimes charging my iPhone too. These gadgets take anywhere between 2 & 4 hours to recharge.

Will the 12 cell AM012 handle the draw for that period and still have enough oomph for the morning start?

Ignore my recharge question for a moment.
Whilst out camping, desert mornings are often an icy affair - 32deg F or 0deg C (even colder sometimes) - will the 12 cell AM012 fire up the bike in the morning? Removing the battery to 'warm' it up or to keep it warm overnight is not a practical solution for me.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #185
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Jim

Being electrically challenged, I have to ask these questions... sorry.

Most of my rides are multi-day adventures... 1 week to 3 or 4 weeks in duration... mostly bush camping. I usually recharge my headset (Sena SMH10) and bluetooth hub (Sena SR10) at the end of each days ride via a cig plug in my tank bag. Sometimes charging my iPhone too. These gadgets take anywhere between 2 & 4 hours to recharge.

Will the 12 cell AM012 handle the draw for that period and still have enough oomph for the morning start?

Ignore my recharge question for a moment.
Whilst out camping, desert mornings are often an icy affair - 32deg F or 0deg C (even colder sometimes) - will the 12 cell AM012 fire up the bike in the morning? Removing the battery to 'warm' it up or to keep it warm overnight is not a practical solution for me.
Hi, it will most likely start the bike with no problem. Possible it could take 2 or more pushes to self heat the battery. Turning lights on will also warm it if necessary.

I can't answer whether charging your small devices for 2-4 hours would affect the battery, but I would test it before you go out. I set up a small portable solar panel for mine and also charge them while the bike is running. These batteries are designed for starting purposes only.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #186
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Hi, it will most likely start the bike with no problem. Possible it could take 2 or more pushes to self heat the battery. Turning lights on will also warm it if necessary.

I can't answer whether charging your small devices for 2-4 hours would affect the battery, but I would test it before you go out. I set up a small portable solar panel for mine and also charge them while the bike is running. These batteries are designed for starting purposes only.
Thanks for the reply Jim

Anybody out there got any experience with recharging small devices at camp via a Li-Iron battery?
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #187
road hammer
hav map will travel

Oddometer: 1
Hey there. curious as to why after many pages of this thread that the battery has changed from the ballistic to the SYCL battery? were there issues with the ballisic? it all seemed so rah rah, the bomb, wicked etc.etc.
thx.

ps. not really a noob, just a new handle, or maybe that makes me a renoob, kinda like being a virgin, again.
road hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #188
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by road hammer View Post
Hey there. curious as to why after many pages of this thread that the battery has changed from the ballistic to the SYCL battery? were there issues with the ballisic? it all seemed so rah rah, the bomb, wicked etc.etc.
thx.

ps. not really a noob, just a new handle, or maybe that makes me a renoob, kinda like being a virgin, again.

What was your handle before? No major problems with the Ballistic. It's just that they had personnel changes and couldn't deliver product at the same prices, so I found the original designer/builder who now makes them for us. That's why they look almost the same. Prices are lower too. So, Sycl was a direct dealer of Ballistic batteries and they chose to dump all the direct dealers and go with Parts Unlimited. Ballistic has been honoring any warranty issues, which luckily have been few and far between.

I will say, however that the Sycl Balance charger we sell is not only much cheaper, it is much simpler to use than the Ballistic one. The batteries have slightly better finish, and so far perform identically.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #189
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Sale

Hi,

The items in blue are ON SALE until October 31st....!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #190
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,402
XR650L Regulator Replaced

I just replaced the stock regulator/rectifier on my XR650L with a Shindengen fh020aa MOSFET unit. Voltage at low idle is 13.75 v and at higher rpm the voltage stabilizes at 14.25 volts. The stock unit charged at almost 15 v... within Honda spec but excessive even for AGM batteries according to a number of knowledgeable folks here on ADVRIDER.

Your ads suggest that my current charging voltage range with the new MOSFET R/R is appropriate for SYCL batteries... OK to order an 8-cell unit with this revised charging voltage?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #191
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I just replaced the stock regulator/rectifier on my XR650L with a Shindengen fh020aa MOSFET unit. Voltage at low idle is 13.75 v and at higher rpm the voltage stabilizes at 14.25 volts. The stock unit charged at almost 15 v... within Honda spec but excessive even for AGM batteries according to a number of knowledgeable folks here on ADVRIDER.

Your ads suggest that my current charging voltage range with the new MOSFET R/R is appropriate for SYCL batteries... OK to order an 8-cell unit with this revised charging voltage?
The 4.6 (8 Cell) will work great. They come with the Balance / Voltage test port that you can zip tie to your frame and test without taking the seat off.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #192
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
First in Singapore

Thank Jim. The batteries have arrived.
7days to Singapore. Excellent.
[IMG][/IMG]
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #193
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Hi,

The items in blue are ON SALE until October 31st....!

Bump. They are on sale PLUS the 10% off code KOTW2012
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #194
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Almost gone...

Sale ends Halloween and we have just 7 of the 4.6AH Sycl batteries left. They come with balance connectors and the free balance / voltage tester for $99 plus the KOTW2012 10% discount coupon.

We will be stocking a new type of battery soon with similar pricing as before. The black shrink wrapped ones will be available in limited quantities for streetbikes and racers. The new batteries will be more OEM specific and will have a battery finder on the site. (finally)

Thanks to all.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #195
advdoctor
n00b

Oddometer: 7
If i understand it correctly, if you have a digital clock in your trip computer, it will need to be disconnected for any extended period of dormancy. Ideally this would be thru your quick connect unions. Is there a more economical connection that may be not so quick? Could you utilize just one for the positive pole if not intending to fully remove?
advdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote