Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #196
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdoctor View Post
If i understand it correctly, if you have a digital clock in your trip computer, it will need to be disconnected for any extended period of dormancy. Ideally this would be thru your quick connect unions. Is there a more economical connection that may be not so quick? Could you utilize just one for the positive pole if not intending to fully remove?

Yes, that's correct. Most cases the draw is so low, it could be months before any real voltage drop, but to be safe just disconnecting one of the poles would be fine. Careful to wrap the end with electrical tape to protect from shorting.

I can make a quick disconnect on just the positive connector, pm me if interested.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #197
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Hi, it will most likely start the bike with no problem. Possible it could take 2 or more pushes to self heat the battery. Turning lights on will also warm it if necessary.

I can't answer whether charging your small devices for 2-4 hours would affect the battery, but I would test it before you go out. I set up a small portable solar panel for mine and also charge them while the bike is running. These batteries are designed for starting purposes only.
This is really a pity... If only they could juice few small devices like phone or satnav...
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #198
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
This is really a pity... If only they could juice few small devices like phone or satnav...
It really depends on what load and how long. Having a small load on these won't affect their ability to deliver amperage one bit. All you'd be doing is getting in to the capacity some which would show up as a voltage drop. Most cell phones are single cell lithium at 3.25 nominal volts and around 2 amp hours. That's only about 10% of the 4.6Ah Sycl. Getting it in to the phone efficiently is another question. Those cigarette socket chargers can be pretty barbaric.

I just charge my crap while I ride and don't worry about it. My Garmin pulls about 200 milliamps so even if I forgot and left it on it would hardly touch the 4.6 after 10 hours.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #199
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 710
Question

Hi--quick question: which of the batteries is most appropriate for a 955i Sprint ST? Thanks.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #200
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
Hi--quick question: which of the batteries is most appropriate for a 955i Sprint ST? Thanks.
PM sent. The SYCL AM12 is the current model.

A site update is coming soon with a much needed battery finder and new product. Basically we are going to feature a new line of direct OEM replacement batteries that will include Battery Management built-in to the batteries so you will not need any kind of balance charger.

They will be the only ones with the built-in BMS available on the market and will be priced in the same range or less than all the competition.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #201
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
PM sent. The SYCL AM12 is the current model.

Basically we are going to feature a new line of direct OEM replacement batteries that will include Battery Management built-in to the batteries so you will not need any kind of balance charger.
"Direct OEM replacement"? They will still be the smaller size, but the specs will be comparable to the OEM?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #202
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
"Direct OEM replacement"? They will still be the smaller size, but the specs will be comparable to the OEM?
Sorry.... you are correct. The will be smaller in most cases, always dramatically lighter, but will have comparable or better power specs. Bikes that have terminals that are on the fronts (not top) of the battery will have terminal adapters in the box.

All the batteries will come with lots of foam to make the installations easy.

More to come in the next few days.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #203
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
So, I have now put 12k miles on my GL650swi with a 4.6ah battery in it.
Not one problem and cranks faster than any other battery I have ever used before.

I have a 5v 1amp usb adapter I use to charge my cell phone and only had trouble starting the bike if it has been sitting with it plugged in for over 2 weeks. (might have been three, can't remember. lol)

with the warranty, weight savings, better starting, and cost. I will likely never buy any other kind of battery for one of my bikes again. If i do, it will only be for time constraints.

ad路ven路ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #204
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Big News for people on the fence...

Syclbatt is now motolithium featuring the next generation Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.

We are very excited. These batteries are comparably and in some cases better priced than the competition such as Sh晻rai and our former brand B*ll*stic. These are sized to match the OEM lead acid cases but are as light or lighter than the competition.

See signature for 10% off coupon code

Plus they all come with built-in BMS battery balance and protection circuitry. They will fit all motorized powersport vehicles:

Dirtbikes, streetbikes, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, Harleys, etc.

There will be a battery finder on our site in the next week, but feel free to pm me for any questions.

We will also try to produce comparison charts for the most prevalent vehicle applications. First one here:

We will still carry the first generation shrinkwrapped battery models as supplies last.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #205
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Is the standing voltage still about 13.2 volts?

ad路ven路ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #206
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
what qualifies as parasitic drain?

i ask because i'm working up a 450exc as my "do it all", and for camping trips i like to leave the GPS on all day. i turn it off at camp overnight, but like to keep it on all day because it organizes the days better for me.

how would it handle that sort of thing?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #207
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

parasitic drain is Any power draw on the battery when the key is Off.

I have left my gps on for two days and had no problems. (whoops)

ad路ven路ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #208
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther View Post
Is the standing voltage still about 13.2 volts?
I checked all the ones that just came in and they were averaging 13.5 but I'm guessing they are going to be equivalent.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #209
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
what qualifies as parasitic drain?

i ask because i'm working up a 450exc as my "do it all", and for camping trips i like to leave the GPS on all day. i turn it off at camp overnight, but like to keep it on all day because it organizes the days better for me.

how would it handle that sort of thing?

The Earth X batteries all have Ah capacities closely matching OEM so there will be no problem. One of the weaknesses of the first gen Lithium Phosphate batteries was the trade off between light weight and Amp hour capacity which they have solved. These use a lighter case than Ballistic or Shorai and have no BMS port to allow water inside.

One piece of advice is to make sure you have the DC only higher-power Trailtech or Baja Designs Stator and regulator set.
My MXC has the stock combo AC/DC and does not put out enough charging amps to keep my Sycl 8 Cell battery healthy.

I give a 5 amp fast charge from time to time.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #210
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
deep cycle

Can you deep cycle these batteries? How do they handle a long slow drain to empty before being recharged?

Application: Run three or four HID lights on a boat for bow fishing off just battery power. One or two of the big guys.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote