Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Sweet, so my old battery tray could become my new battery/tool box.
G

fire_strom screwed with this post 10-20-2010 at 04:54 PM
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
NSRDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Awesome! Can't wait to receive mine! Can you let me know when it ships?

Best,

R
NSRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I'd like to see that.. put it in your first post of this thread

Hey GB, take a look at the first post. Youtube video shows installation in a BMW F650GS.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
GabeRmrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Do you sell connector sets separately? I could keep my OEM battery and use the quick connects for both.

Thanks
GabeRmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABWALK
Do you sell connector sets separately? I could keep my OEM battery and use the quick connects for both.

Thanks
We can do that. If you order off the shopping cart site for the kit you can PM me and paypal me directly for that. Need to add that in as an option.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #21
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 366
I was under the impression that this battery technology is very sensitive to undercharge and overcharging. Are normal motorcycle charging systems really suited to these batteries? Is there some estimate on the number of cycles that can be reasonably expected?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #22
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by A
I was under the impression that this battery technology is very sensitive to undercharge and overcharging. Are normal motorcycle charging systems really suited to these batteries? Is there some estimate on the number of cycles that can be reasonably expected?

I used to be under the same impression. Learned about them from RC model guys. These batteries are extremely robust and most motorcycle Charging systems (functioning ones) will not harm them at all. Anything in the 14.5 +/ range.

Put it this way. If your bikes charge system is over 14.5 volts you are damaging your lead acid battery too. If you were to ride your bike every day and start it 4 times using 18 second pulses (which you would never do) they would last 6,000 cycles or 4 years.

They would be sensitive to a voltage drop down to 7 or 8 volts, but your bike would have quit starting a while before it got there and you would be trouble shooting your motorcycles charging system.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Do you happen to know if there is some type of controller to shut them down when they get to a voltage low enough to cause permanent damage?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Do you happen to know if there is some type of controller to shut them down when they get to a voltage low enough to cause permanent damage?

I'm looking into that right now. I can order these with cell balancer connections, but those are really for the Radio Control people who have to manually charge. They are for trickle chargers only and aren't connected to the heavy capacity wires from your battery to your bike that would be an auto-shut off.

I have a cell balancer with a low voltage alarm that plugs into the balance connector on one of my test batteries. It's never gone off, because I've never had my voltage drop that low. I think I will abuse it and see what happens... I think this would be a great option to offer. Probably add $35+ to the total cost, but would offer peace of mind.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #25
NSRDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I got my battery today. Wow, i knew it would be small but this is REALLY small, like smaller than a can of coke and very, very light.

It came very well packaged and everything is as presented.

Thanks for everything!

R
NSRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #26
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Herr,

There are stand alone low voltage alarms which plug in to balance connectors. They cost about $5 wholesale and let off a pretty piercing tone when any one cell drops to below a certain threshold voltage. There is a level of safety there if you are a savvy operator because the first time the alarm goes off will be when the battery is loaded. If you moderate the load at that time you can get a little more juice before killing the cells. For instance you might pull a headlight bulb so the FI can operate.

For a moto the idea of a low voltage disconnect is a little troubling. If you're 50 miles out you might like to make the choice between killing the battery by running and hiking out. You're packs are reasonably priced, I for one would happily risk killing the cells to get home if need be.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
I'm looking into that right now. I can order these with cell balancer connections, but those are really for the Radio Control people who have to manually charge. They are for trickle chargers only and aren't connected to the heavy capacity wires from your battery to your bike that would be an auto-shut off.

I have a cell balancer with a low voltage alarm that plugs into the balance connector on one of my test batteries. It's never gone off, because I've never had my voltage drop that low. I think I will abuse it and see what happens... I think this would be a great option to offer. Probably add $35+ to the total cost, but would offer peace of mind.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #27
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Herr,

There are stand alone low voltage alarms which plug in to balance connectors. They cost about $5 wholesale and let off a pretty piercing tone when any one cell drops to below a certain threshold voltage. There is a level of safety there if you are a savvy operator because the first time the alarm goes off will be when the battery is loaded. If you moderate the load at that time you can get a little more juice before killing the cells. For instance you might pull a headlight bulb so the FI can operate.

For a moto the idea of a low voltage disconnect is a little troubling. If you're 50 miles out you might like to make the choice between killing the battery by running and hiking out. You're packs are reasonably priced, I for one would happily risk killing the cells to get home if need be.

Dan
Dan, I'm going to order some of these with the balance connectors and try those out. I think people that buy these to make their bikes lighter and therefore improve performance would only encounter a low voltage situation if their bikes charging system failed. The alarm would be useful to me.

I'm about to introduce an even smaller starting battery that is so light and tiny you could carry it in your camelback as a spare. It will be inexpensive too.

If I was going on a long cross-country trip I would bring it along and simply plug it into my quick connector.

I also plan to post a LifePO4 fact sheet to answer a lot of questions.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #28
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
I received my battery today and it only took a few minute to install. Took longer to clean out the battery box than to do the actual installation. My starter spins much faster now. The bike starts in a split second. Very happy to lose that extra weight.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #29
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
I'm about to introduce an even smaller starting battery that is so light and tiny you could carry it in your camelback as a spare. It will be inexpensive too.
As a royalty I'm happy to accept one.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #30
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Can you make a 12 cell unit for my RC51? Maybe the LC8 guys will get into this too :)