Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #106
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
How about the 12-cell battery...any sale on that one...?
There may be a sale next year, but I have a hard time keeping the 12 cell in stock because they sell out.

Thanks!

BTW the 8 Cell sales ends 1 week from today!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #107
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,387
The Ballistic batt's are all the same height and 103 mm is just a few mm's too tall for my side access battery box in my BMW G650 XCountry as far as I can measure. So I just ordered an 8 cell Sycl with quick disconnects and a 4 cell Sycl for a backup. Kinda extra security since I have a Rekluse clutch and can't bump start my bike if I kill the battery doing something stupid. Thanks for answering all my email questions Jim!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #108
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
The Ballistic batt's are all the same height and 103 mm is just a few mm's too tall for my side access battery box in my BMW G650 XCountry as far as I can measure. So I just ordered an 8 cell Sycl with quick disconnects and a 4 cell Sycl for a backup. Kinda extra security since I have a Rekluse clutch and can't bump start my bike if I kill the battery doing something stupid. Thanks for answering all my email questions Jim!

Thanks everyone! $10 coupon discount lives on, but the sale ends on Black Friday...
Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #109
rm_pt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Question

Hi, i've saw the video on the site where show installation on a F650GS. I've got a '06 650GS, standard configuration. How does those batteries run on a 'not so frequent' - unfortunnatly - usage? Do they discharge faster that regular batteries, are they specific to race usage? How long can it be uncharged and still fire up on startup?

tks

rm_pt screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 04:09 PM
rm_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #110
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_pt View Post
Hi, i've saw the video on the site where show installation on a F650GS. I've got a '06 650GS, standard configuration. How does those batteries run on a 'not so frequent' - unfortunnatly - usage? Do they discharge faster that regular batteries, are they specific to race usage? How long can it be uncharged and still fire up on startup?

tks
I did 6 months betweens rides fired up with absolutely no problems I'm sure its good for way way more than that

also 1 trip right after I got it I did a bonehead move and left my ignition and lights on while we did a 1 hour hike when I got back totally dead bump started it and rode for about a 1/2 hour parked on a downhill spot anticipating having to bump start again but it fired right up and never had another problem with it
these batteries are awesome
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #111
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Jim - can't thank you enough for the prompt service (ordered Saturday, got it today), and the FANTASTIC quality...installed the battery 3 hours ago, and it starts the bike up MUCH better than the Odyssey it replaced!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #112
KWayne406
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have the 4cell balistic batteries in a crf250x and in a drz400sm and could not be more pleased. When the agm battery gives uo on my xr650l it will get the larger one. I recomend theese to all and will probably try them on my street bikes as the old school batteries die.
KWayne406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #113
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
...just received the 12-cell for my 1150GS...won't have time to install for a week or two...updates then...
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #114
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Just installed my 8 cell Sycl and it works great in my BMW G650 XCountry. At 40 degrees F there was no delay in starting. At 20 degrees for 2 hours it took about a minute to warmup with the headlight first. At 20 degrees F overnight soak (with frost all over the bike) it took a total of about 10 minutes, mostly with the key and headlight on for 1 minute then off for 30 seconds before cranking. This new LiFePO4 technology takes getting used to after being so used to lead based batteries (as when really cold if you just try cranking without any warmup using the headlight it does not crank but appears dead by lead acid standards).... but sure enough the more I left the light on, the more cranking amps it would put out! In the end it cranked quickly just like when warmer temps.

I'm happy with this and don't expect it to be an issue as I've read it has been at least for some Shorai LiFePO4 batteries for the same bike, (I know one person who personally told me about issues he has at 40 degrees).

I also bought the 4 cell Sycl and tried it out and it also was able to start my bike at 40 degrees F with no problem. I trust A123 batteries as they have a good track record, and the manufacturing quality of the connections to high current connectors on this Sycl battery appeared to be top notch. I wish it was a sealed case but the Ballistic battery would not fit in my battery case or I would have purchased it instead.

Great service, value, and attention to customers, thanks!

snooker screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 08:51 PM
Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #115
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just installed my 8 cell Sycl and it works great in my BMW G650 XCountry. At 40 degrees F there was no delay in starting. At 20 degrees for 2 hours it took about a minute to warmup with the headlight first. At 20 degrees F overnight soak (with frost all over the bike) it took a total of about 10 minutes, mostly with the key and headlight on for 1 minute then off for 30 seconds before cranking. This new LiFePO4 technology takes getting used to after being so used to lead based batteries, but sure enough the more I left the light on, the more cranking amps it would put out!

I'm happy with this and don't expect it to be an issue as I've read it has been at least for some Shorai LiFePO4 batteries for the same bike, (I know one person who personally told me about issues he has at 40 degrees).

I also bought the 4 cell Sycl and tried it out and it also was able to start my bike at 40 degrees F with no problem. I trust A123 batteries as they have a good track record, and the manufacturing quality of the connections to high current connectors on this Sycl battery appeared to be top notch. I wish it was a sealed case but the Ballistic battery would not fit in my battery case or I would have purchased it instead.

Great service, value, and attention to customers, thanks!
Wow, 10 mins is a long time to wait for a start...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #116
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
Wow, 10 mins is a long time to wait for a start...
YMMV but that was my first attempt. Perhaps there is a better (faster) way to do it (like don't turn off the key to get the voltage back up). Read up on the LiFePO4 technology as this is definitely a consideration, and only at lower temps and only the first time you start it not every time. If I had to park outside in a cold climate and was using this as a commuter bike (in a hurry) I might not have got this battery type.

On the plus side, it cranks more and more the longer it warms up and so it has a lot of reserve capacity and even in cold temps it WILL crank once the chemistry has "warmed up". I got the Sycl over the Shorai because one guy with the same bike as mine takes 15 minutes to start his at 40 degrees F. It may be a defective Shorai or not, dunno, but others have not reported this problem. I trust the A123 battery cells that are in the Sycl and the Ballistic, whereas Shorai use their own technology and IMHO it and their manufacturing is still evolving (quickly though!).

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #117
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
YMMV but that was my first attempt. Perhaps there is a better (faster) way to do it (like don't turn off the key to get the voltage back up). Read up on the LiFePO4 technology as this is definitely a consideration, and only at lower temps and only the first time you start it not every time. If I had to park outside in a cold climate and was using this as a commuter bike (in a hurry) I might not have got this battery type.

On the plus side, it cranks more and more the longer it warms up and so it has a lot of reserve capacity and even in cold temps it WILL crank once the chemistry has "warmed up". I got the Sycl over the Shorai because one guy with the same bike as mine takes 15 minutes to start his at 40 degrees F. It may be a defective Shorai or not, dunno, but others have not reported this problem. I trust the A123 battery cells that are in the Sycl and the Ballistic, whereas Shorai use their own technology and IMHO it and their manufacturing is still evolving (quickly though!).
I'll find out next week...
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #118
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Jim! hey man, do you have a battery for my gsa?

thx!
I do. The 12 Cell is the ticket. PM me if you want to come by since you're just down the street.

Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #119
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Hi Jim,

Please, could you advice me if your battery will work for my needs.
I have KTM LC4 640 Adv and Im mostly using it for long journeys, I have a loaded panniers, crashbars and side-stand so they add up some weight, right now Im trying to make my bike as light as possible to compensate extra load.
Which LiFePO4 battery can substitute my current YUASA YTZ10S MF?
From electrical stuff Im using from battery Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX/charging iPhone + VIO POV.HD recorder.

Thanks!
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #120
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Hi Jim,

Please, could you advice me if your battery will work for my needs.
I have KTM LC4 640 Adv and Im mostly using it for long journeys, I have a loaded panniers, crashbars and side-stand so they add up some weight, right now Im trying to make my bike as light as possible to compensate extra load.
Which LiFePO4 battery can substitute my current YUASA YTZ10S MF?
From electrical stuff Im using from battery Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX/charging iPhone + VIO POV.HD recorder.

Thanks!
8 Cell will be perfect for you. Thanks!