Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #121
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Just installed my 8 cell Sycl and it works great in my BMW G650 XCountry. At 40 degrees F there was no delay in starting. At 20 degrees for 2 hours it took about a minute to warmup with the headlight first. At 20 degrees F overnight soak (with frost all over the bike) it took a total of about 10 minutes, mostly with the key and headlight on for 1 minute then off for 30 seconds before cranking. This new LiFePO4 technology takes getting used to after being so used to lead based batteries (as when really cold if you just try cranking without any warmup using the headlight it does not crank but appears dead by lead acid standards).... but sure enough the more I left the light on, the more cranking amps it would put out! In the end it cranked quickly just like when warmer temps.
What oil did you have in the bike @ 20F?

10 Minutes is too long for me (a commuter).

I wonder if I could do the 8 Cell in my R1200GS as a primary and then a smaller "Starter Pack" I can put in my gear bag that comes inside with me (stays warm). What size "Starter Pack" would I need? (We just came through a single digit & teens cold spell up here, overtaxing my OEM battery).
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #122
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post

I wonder if I could do the 8 Cell in my R1200GS as a primary and then a smaller "Starter Pack" I can put in my gear bag that comes inside with me (stays warm). What size "Starter Pack" would I need? (We just came through a single digit & teens cold spell up here, overtaxing my OEM battery).
I've been testing these at 10,000 ft. at and around 20 with an old snowmobile. I've tried the 8 cell left overnight and it starts a little slow, but not 10 minutes. Not apples to apples, but it's so easy to flip the engine lid and I use quick connects so best for me to keep the battery inside and warm.

If it takes only a couple of minutes to pop the battery out of a GS, you're still cutting it close with the 8 cell. I would recommend the 12. It would have enough extra juice to handle the cold without the extended warm up Snooker is referring to. The cold does affect all these batteries, so the more CCA the better. Cranking a bike with heavy weight and very cold oil is a factor.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #123
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:

15w40 Shell Rotella

again it is winter here and I don't have the process down yet as I've only ridden it twice on the new battery! Plus it isn't 20 degrees in my garage where I normally keep it for commuting. It was no time at all at 40 degrees. But I wonder what the best recommended procedure is for warming it up. In my case this was an extreme and will not affect my commuting but just keep in mind.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #124
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
15w40 Shell Rotella

again it is winter here and I don't have the process down yet as I've only ridden it twice on the new battery! Plus it isn't 20 degrees in my garage where I normally keep it for commuting. It was no time at all at 40 degrees. But I wonder what the best recommended procedure is for warming it up. In my case this was an extreme and will not affect my commuting but just keep in mind.
This is good to know, thanks. 20 degrees w/ 15w oil means the starter had to work a bit harder. I had 15w oil at 18F two nights ago and the bike would not start without a jump. I now have 5w oil and am looking for more insurance in the starting department.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #125
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
If it takes only a couple of minutes to pop the battery out of a GS
I have Micatechs, it takes a lot more than a few minutes for me. Besides, I commute, I need a process that is quick and repeatable, otherwise, it won't work for me (key phrase here is "for me").

What if I kept my OEM which is [kind of] working now and got a "Starter pack"?

I really want to put a set of leads on the OEM battery with those PowerPole connectors and hang them out of the side.

I'd then get a three of sets of PowerPole connectors:
1) Powerpole to SAE for my Battery Tender
2) Snip one end of 'gator clips off my jumper cable and put on a set of PowerPole connectors in their place.
3) Powerpole to a "Starter Pack"

This way here, I could charge the batter on the 'Tender, jump the battery with my Starter Pack, and/or jump the battery with someone's car all without removing the seat.

What size "Starter Pack" do you think I would need?

The "Starter Pack" for all practically purposes, will always be warm.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #126
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
This is good to know, thanks. 20 degrees w/ 15w oil means the starter had to work a bit harder. I had 15w oil at 18F two nights ago and the bike would not start without a jump. I now have 5w oil and am looking for more insurance in the starting department.
Good to know.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #127
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
I have Micatechs, it takes a lot more than a few minutes for me. Besides, I commute, I need a process that is quick and repeatable, otherwise, it won't work for me (key phrase here is "for me").

What if I kept my OEM which is [kind of] working now and got a "Starter pack"?

I really want to put a set of leads on the OEM battery with those PowerPole connectors and hang them out of the side.

I'd then get a three of sets of PowerPole connectors:
1) Powerpole to SAE for my Battery Tender
2) Snip one end of 'gator clips off my jumper cable and put on a set of PowerPole connectors in their place.
3) Powerpole to a "Starter Pack"

This way here, I could charge the batter on the 'Tender, jump the battery with my Starter Pack, and/or jump the battery with someone's car all without removing the seat.

What size "Starter Pack" do you think I would need?

The "Starter Pack" for all practically purposes, will always be warm.
As long as you can isolate/switcj your OEM battery the starter pack can work. You could use the Sycl 4.6 Ah or the 8 Cell ballistic for that. I would go with the Sycl 4.6 with the Anderson Powepoles you describe.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #128
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Got all my wiring finished this past weekend. I now have a 45A PowerPole setup coming off my battery and hanging from the side of the bike, along with a matching PowerPole to SAE for my Battery Tender, and a PowerPole plug on the end of my jumper cables. The addition of the "Starter Pack" will pretty much round it all out.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #129
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,051
it's been over a year since this thread started.... so how's the mid-term feedback on these batteries?

it's well known Li-ion cells don't perform at full capacity under colder conditions. how much power reduction can one expect to see for say 10f degree?

6 ah is not much reserve. I'd want a battery with at least equal to OEM amp hour reserves before factoring in reduction in performance for cold weather.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #130
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
My Scorpion AGM has been behaving terribly for the past couple of weeks, and indeed I have had the indignity of having to drive a car to work a couple of times. I just placed an order for an eight cell ballistic and can't wait to get it.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #131
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
it's been over a year since this thread started.... so how's the mid-term feedback on these batteries?

it's well known Li-ion cells don't perform at full capacity under colder conditions. how much power reduction can one expect to see for say 10f degree?

6 ah is not much reserve. I'd want a battery with at least equal to OEM amp hour reserves before factoring in reduction in performance for cold weather.

It's not entirely accurate to say that these batteries don't perform well at lower temperatures because their chemistry allows them to self-heat so quickly. At 10 F you would need 3 - 4, 5 second starting pulses to heat the battery. The AH rating is misleading because these are lightweight starting batteries not designed for deep cycle use, like powering electrics when the bike isn't running for long periods. We recommend using the CCA or cold cranking amps when comparing to the OEM.

If you replace your OEM that has say 180 CCA with an LFX battery with 275 CCA you should have enough reserve starting power for your cold weather starts.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #132
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Way to go Neduro!!

On a different note, when you see the new opening photo on advrider...

...what you don't see in this picture is the Ballistic 8 Cell from www.Syclbatt.com in Neduro's KTM Rally bike.
We were among several ADV vendors who sponsored Ned.

In case anyone was wondering how the batteries stand up to abuse...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #133
sokomojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Battery

How long do these last?
sokomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #134
herrhelmet OP
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokomojo View Post
How long do these last?

They are rated to last 2x as long as standard Lead Acid, but likely much longer if take care of.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #135
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
The battery is great so far, light in weight and starting my balky machine easily (although to be fair the weather has been much warmer this week). Thanks for the shirt!
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote