User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
What's the diff: F650 & G650

Experienced rider but BMW noob, what's the diff?

(Thinking of trading in my V-Strom 1000.)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
engine

At least 1 cylinder and a few HP. then there's the ergos and other crap but mainly about an extra 150cc but really the F650 is an 800cc road bike with off road potential, an G650 is an off road bike with on road potential.
Test ride both make up your own mind. everyone is bias towards what they think is the better type of bike.

Just because I stink of petrol, look like shit and still smile doesn't mean I've not been having fun!

Soldiers Do It With Their Helmets ON!!
jaycommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Experienced rider but BMW noob, what's the diff?

(Thinking of trading in my V-Strom 1000.)
I have owned both. About the same weight and gas milage..55-60. The twin has 21 more horsepower (71 vs 50) and you can definitely tell the difference. Off road performance is about the same. If you're looking to save money go with the single, if you do a lot of two up then the twin is the one. Both are great bikes. I test rode the F800 and the F650 when they both came in at AJ's and the only difference I could see was the F800 was taller, I think he still has a single there as well.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycommando
At least 1 cylinder and a few HP. then there's the ergos and other crap but mainly about an extra 150cc
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Was confused by one 650 being a 650 and the other being an 800 when (AFAIK) there is also an 800 that is called an 800. As to why they called one of their 800s a 650, I expect it has been discussed, but maybe somebody can give the summary on that?

Anyway, this is preliminary but I really don't "need" my V-Strom 1000 since I seldom ride 2-up, never pack large amounts of gear, and don't do much highway cruising. I use it as a mixed-surface road bike (paved & maintained dirt roads). I was wondering if one of the BMW 650s would do the same and be a smaller package. I like having hard bags on the sides for local errands and enclosed storage for laptop, briefcase and miscellany. I seldom put my topcase on any more since I don't need the addtl storage volume and leaving it off saves my having to swing a leg over or in front of it.

So therefore thought of a BMW 650 (or an 800 that's called a 650), but I don't know a damned thing about them. I don't need a big dirt bike since I have a small dirt bike already, but definitely want a bike comfortable on mixed surfaces.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,719
Sounds like the 798cc F650GS is exactly what you're looking for. Competent off-road as long as the going doesn't get too knarly and great on-road. The G650X-Country also fits the bill except that I think hard cases are difficult. Both are very good bikes IMHO.

The F650GS being 798cc is just a branding thing. Some get frustrated and upset about it saying if it's got a 798cc engine it should be the F798GS. Others don't, realising that a Yamaha R1 has more than 1cc.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
kalli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Sounds like the 798cc F650GS is exactly what you're looking for. Competent off-road as long as the going doesn't get too knarly and great on-road. The G650X-Country also fits the bill except that I think hard cases are difficult. Both are very good bikes IMHO.
You can get racks and cases from Hepco&Becker and Caribou cases (I thing they use H&B racks) for the XCountry/XChallange.
kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
The F650GS being 798cc is just a branding thing.
Maybe I shoulda asked what's the diff between an F650 and F800. Is there an F800?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,719
Quote:
Maybe I shoulda asked what's the diff between an F650 and F800. Is there an F800?
Yes. Same engine but giving has more bhp, longer suspension travel, wire spokes, 21" front and more "aggressive" styling. It's more suitable to off-road than the F650.

G650X-Country:

F650GS:

F800GS:
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 03:39 PM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
And just to confuse you more, if you look at used bikes, a 2007 and earlier F650GS is what is now called a G650GS. The primary difference is the old singles used a Rotax engine, the new ones use a Chinese model.
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasKen
And just to confuse you more, if you look at used bikes, a 2007 and earlier F650GS is what is now called a G650GS.
Ah yes, back in the day, when men were men, and a 650 was a 650...!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Ah yes, back in the day, when men were men, and a 650 was a 650...!
This thread may be the subtlest troll in the history of adv.

You ought to really shop the older F650 (the one that became the G). That seems to be where the biggest bargains are to be had.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
This thread may be the subtlest troll in the history of adv.

You ought to really shop the older F650 (the one that became the G). That seems to be where the biggest bargains are to be had.
There is a reason for that. It's slow, has shitty suspension and weighs almost as much as the twin. If you want a Rotax single get one of the X bikes and buy a few farkles for it, it will be better in every way.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
That's exactly what I did. Bought an '07 F650 yesterday. (So I guess I can't post about it in the Parralllllel forum any more.) It was configured how I wanted it (side cases but not top case, handguards, crash bars) right there on the lot.

I did ride the 650 that's an 800 and it was a sweet ride. However the price diff was huge. They also didn't have a used on the line with the right configuration, so I'd be buying a more expensive bike PLUS paying a lot to buy new accessories for it.

Both bikes had a different vibration from my V-Strom that tended to have me keeping the RPMs below 4500 or even below 4000. The Strom is hardly awake below 4000 but then lights up all the way to the top of the rev range. The 800 pulled just fine in low & mid range, pretty much like the Strom IMHO.

The 650 that really is a 650 is obviously weaker at the higfh end than the 800 or my V-Strom. However, I don't "need" a bike with strong acceleration above 75 MPH any more. My whole point in trading my Strom was that, due to my illness, I am no longer as strong, nor do I have the endurance, or even the will to be as aggressive, as I used to be.

I wanted a milder, easier to ride bike for local mixed surface riding, that I will ride more often, and will be able to ride longer as I get sicker (my condition is NOT something that I am going to "get better" from) than I would ride the V-Strom. The V-Strom had just become too much bike for me in my situation. So unlike many riders who want their next bike to have more, more, more than their last one, I wanted to downsize to a bike that had less.

I think the 650 that really is a 650 will be fine. If I was still healthy and buying something to ride hard, I'd certainly have gotten the 650 that's an 800. I don't need the F650 to be a dirt bike. I have had a DRZ (sold), a street plated 2-stroke GasGas enduro bike (sold) and will be selling my Aprilia RXV-550 (sold as an enduro, set up as a dirt road dualsport) as soon as it comes back from repair. I instead bought an XT-225 for street-plated dirt use.

I will use the F650 for mixed surface (dirt, gravel, paved) ROADS. It will hardly ever, maybe never, see an actual TRAIL. I don't want it to have (or need) knobbies. I used to be Vice President of an Enduro club. I do not intend to ride the F650 on enduro trails. Nowadays I hardly ever ride more than 50 miles from home anyway, so I don't need it to have awesomw power on the interstate. I think it'll do just fine.

Maybe if it had a taller windshiled though....
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycommando View Post
At least 1 cylinder and a few HP. then there's the ergos and other crap but mainly about an extra 150cc but really the F650 is an 800cc road bike with off road potential, an G650 is an off road bike with on road potential.
Test ride both make up your own mind. everyone is bias towards what they think is the better type of bike.
I'm resurrecting this because I'm in the same boat as the OP. But what I don't understand is the above quote - the one that I am looking at is a 2001 F650GS and I checked the specs and it clearly shows it as being a 650cc single cylinder bike. I've read through the rest of this thread and I still don't understand how the F650 is really an 800 when all the specs I've read clearly show it to be a 650

BMW noob as well, so humor me :)
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
In I 2008 or so BMW introduced the F650GS twin at 798cc. The F650GS single at 650cc, made for years, was rebranded the G650GS with a Chinese made engine. The "F-G single" has wire wheels--the F650GS Twin has cast wheels. To add confusion the 2013 version of the F650GS Twin is now called the F700GS with a little more power, but the same 798cc displacement, and dual discs up front. The F800GS is also 798cc but with even more power above 5,000 rpm, more ground clearance (and a higher seat) and wire wheels (with a 21" up front with dual discs). Go figure -- if there is some logic there it that the "F" means 798 twin. But only after a certain date! Clear????? Did I get it right???????

JGoody screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 07:49 AM
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote