Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
I'm resurrecting this because I'm in the same boat as the OP. But what I don't understand is the above quote - the one that I am looking at is a 2001 F650GS and I checked the specs and it clearly shows it as being a 650cc single cylinder bike. I've read through the rest of this thread and I still don't understand how the F650 is really an 800 when all the specs I've read clearly show it to be a 650

BMW noob as well, so humor me :)
As JGoody said, the bike you are referencing is a 650cc machine. Disregard all of the other stuff you are hearing/reading about the 798cc engine, as it doesn't apply to that bike.

In or about 2008, BMW got the bright idea that they should totally confuse the entire world by renaming a staple of their stable and create an entirely new bike under the old name. Hence the old F650GS (up to ~ 2007 model year) is now called the new G650GS (with the "same" 650cc engine as that 2001 bike). The new F650GS is a new (since ~ 2008) machine entirely (with the new 798cc engine).

Don't worry, if it is still as clear as mud, BMW is really trying to screw with our minds by now renaming the new F650GS to be the F700GS with the same new/old 798cc engine.

Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
jnevbro01
extreme midlifer

Oddometer: 2
more BMW confusion around

This is interesting... to add more confusion, I have an '07 F650 XChallenge. I like it, its light, strong and has a good suspension for trails and is reasonably smooth on the road for weekend rides. The "Challenge" I'm having is most everything I see online says I have a G650 XChallenge, the pictures, motor (Rotax 652 cc), blue coloring, air rear suspension etc... all look pretty similar. I'm trying to buy pillion (passenger) foot pegs and have a little fear that the bolt holes and clearance will be correct for my frame. I know I shouldn't even allow a passenger, yet I have to admit having my lady friend in the back country does have some advantages for stayin warm in the tent.

Also, $300 is painful for the pegs, yet I knew I was in trouble when I did buy a Beemer. I'm tempted to put duct tape over the emblem. Good luck and live every day you're given. I have a brother who has Lou Gehrig's disease and is still going 10 years later. I'm ridin for him as much as I can.

Jimmy Nevbro
jnevbro01 is offline   Reply With Quote