User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
OFA OP
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 117
Handlebar switches malfunction may be common for 2013 F800Gs

I have had problems with the switches on the left bar just a few months after buying the bike last fall. They finally seized. The high beam switch stuck on and the four way flashers needed to be hit to turn off as well as the info button. Just went to the dealer today to have it replaced under warranty and the starter switch on the right side quit working. The tech told me they have changed the supplier for these so the new ones should fix that.
If you have one of these bikes maybe you should get to your dealer before it leaves you stranded. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,581
The combi switch failures is nothing new to BMW. It's been happening for over 5 yrs on one model or 6. The K1200GT's were a disaster for example. Same issues you describe. When the problem is discovered only the worst failures are addressed in order to procure spares, often replacing bad parts with bad parts. Then when the problem is investigated/rectified and numbers of affected units are determined and stock is obtained and distributed, a bulletin/recall is sent out.

For the starter switch issue, guys were bump starting, jumping the solenoid etc. One guy found if he parked in the sun the switch would quit. Some we studied the circuit with a magnifying glass and dropped a spot of solder on the "cold" joints.

Have fun with that........
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post
I have had problems with the switches on the left bar just a few months after buying the bike last fall. They finally seized. The high beam switch stuck on and the four way flashers needed to be hit to turn off as well as the info button. Just went to the dealer today to have it replaced under warranty and the starter switch on the right side quit working. The tech told me they have changed the supplier for these so the new ones should fix that.
If you have one of these bikes maybe you should get to your dealer before it leaves you stranded. Anyone else experience this?
This just happened to me. My high beam switch is stuck — kind of lame. I mean, in all the years that people have been making switches for all kinds of shit, you'd think that this one would be in the bag - 20 years ago.

I am going to be pissed if this happens to my starter if I am in the middle of 'no man's land'.

-G
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
The Germans aren't known for high quality switches. I've had the same problems with their cars and that includes the ones with the star.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 555
are you saying that Lucas, the prince of darkness is alive and well living under an alias?
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
OFA OP
Adventure Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Island View Post
This just happened to me. My high beam switch is stuck — kind of lame. I mean, in all the years that people have been making switches for all kinds of shit, you'd think that this one would be in the bag - 20 years ago.

I am going to be pissed if this happens to my starter if I am in the middle of 'no man's land'.

-G
You might want o get it done if it's under warranty. Otherwise it's a $250 part at Max's BMW. If it's under warranty I'd tell them that the starter one is acting up at the same time so you don't get stuck..

Cold Solder Fix.
This isn't a cold solder issue. This is a crappy seaIng boot on the switch that makes the switch itself degrade probably by letting foreign contaminants into the switch itself. I'm worried that it may reoccur. Hope not.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
My left hand switch got completely replaced at around 7K under warranty. It's odd, VW went to the same can-bus technology in 2010 and I ended up having the dealer buy my car back due to constant issues with it. Now, BMW with all their years of unique switch gear has problems. I never had problems with /2, /5, /6, /7, or the R1150 switch gear.
Flashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,024
This is the 2013 R1200GS thread all over again... The switches are very similar on the two bikes and manufactured by Nokia. A small number of people had issues up to about June/July 2013 and then mysteriously the problems stopped. I suspect Nokia improved the switches. I've not taken time to see if there is a new part number for builds after this time.

Same sort of thing - sticking switches, switches stopping working, switches working intermittently but not when hot or after being wet.

Would be interesting to see if the F8 switch issues are also for builds up to the same time period. Wouldn't be surprised if the issues stop from builds after then.

To be honest I wish BMW stuck with the paddles like my F8 Trophy. Yes, I hated them at first but after the first week I prefer them over the new switchgear. The single turn indicator lever in particular lacks good haptic feedback.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
are you saying that Lucas, the prince of darkness is alive and well living under an alias?
Funny you mentioned that ! In my distant past I was a service manager for a British Leyland dealer ( MG, Triumph, Jag, Rover, Austin). The switches were a problem, but my experience with German switches hasn't been a lot better; some, but not what you'd expect.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdog View Post
My left hand switch got completely replaced at around 7K under warranty. It's odd, VW went to the same can-bus technology in 2010 and I ended up having the dealer buy my car back due to constant issues with it. Now, BMW with all their years of unique switch gear has problems. I never had problems with /2, /5, /6, /7, or the R1150 switch gear.
+1. My R1150R has been bulletproof.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
OFA OP
Adventure Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
+1. My R1150R has been bulletproof.
The switches don't have anything to do with canbus technology in this case. In fact they are just normal circuits that are open or closed.
In my mind it's in the desire to make things more compact as they pack more switches into a small area.

I'm with your thinking though. I like old switches that can be disassembled, cleaned and get right back to working again.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 481
Switch madness

As stated earlier, switch tech should be in the bag. But BMW, always seeking a more advanced (complicated) way to do a simple task, thought 3 buttons were easier than one.

Now they're back to the normal single switch (probably by customer demand because they would never admit they were wrong) and they can't get that right.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
It wasn't customer demand that did this, it was pure and simple real estate. I had an opportunity to talk to one of the engineers at release. The issue is that there are more and more buttons required as the number of electronics increases. The demand for space drive the decision to go back to "normal" across the entire range.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 171
Great. Now my info button and my heated grip button are stuck. This is fantastic — I just love it.

I am betting it's the rain thats doing it. I had no problems before the rain but now... now that it's being driven in the rain all the time, each button is dropping one at a time. Can't wait until my starter button doesn't work!
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
Do you mean the button is stuck or the function is stuck?

I had the 'stuck issue' with my G650GS and the high beam, then I put some WD-40 in it and it never occured again for the next 20k kms (when I sold it)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote