Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #106
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
The part welded on the frame onto which the pedals attach has an opening of about 1". The stock pegs fill that space quite snugly. The Pivot Pegz are only 5/8". I can't believe this is supposed to be the way it works. With that extra space the Pivot Pegz fall to the lower end of the retaining pin (because it's on an angle). And then the sidestand spring really interferes with them. Does it fit? Yes it does, but I can't believe this is the way Pivot Pegz are intended to be installed.

In the package are two 1/8" spacers identified as being for the R1200GS only. If I used both of them on one side there would still be too much play (slop) in the way the Pivot Pegz fit. And then the other side would still be worse! One on each side still leaves 1/4" slop on each side. And that's just "sloppy". :)

In addition to that, the instructions talk about greasing a "rod" and inserting it so it's flush on one side and protruding on the other. There is no such thing on this bike or this kit. Once that is done and the spring attached, you install it and insert the retaining pin and secure it with the cotter pin.

So, I think either this is the wrong kit, the kit is missing the "rod"(s), and maybe these are the wrong spacers or other spacers are missing. Bit is labelled as being for the F800GS... years 2008-2012.

I've emailed them to ask for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
Interesting that the Pivot Pegz don't fit the 2013. I
have the Touratech Works pegs and they fit fine on my 2013, and they specify all years of F800GS. The Pivot Pegz must be bigger or something.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #107
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Oddometer: 118
I have pivot pegz on my 13. Mine didn't have the rod either, but it's not needed. I think the instructions are generic. At first I had the spacers installed at the bottom, but I then I used a washer underneath and the spacers on top, no slop on the left side and a small amount on the right. I emailed Pivot Pegz about a month ago and never heard anything from them. I like the pegz but see no benefit of the pivot.

The whole mounting is confusing, why are the BMW factory pins two different lengths. Even two different part numbers, I see no reason for it. The spaces in the mounts are different. I would like to know BMWs thought process for something so simple.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #108
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox8 View Post
I have pivot pegz on my 13. Mine didn't have the rod either, but it's not needed. I think the instructions are generic. At first I had the spacers installed at the bottom, but I then I used a washer underneath and the spacers on top, no slop on the left side and a small amount on the right. I emailed Pivot Pegz about a month ago and never heard anything from them. I like the pegz but see no benefit of the pivot.

The whole mounting is confusing, why are the BMW factory pins two different lengths. Even two different part numbers, I see no reason for it. The spaces in the mounts are different. I would like to know BMWs thought process for something so simple.
Welcome to the world of BMW.

I have pivots on my 09 and love em. Before this had rocstompas which were also good. But I prefer the pivots.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #109
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

In spite of Fox8 having Pivot Pegz installed on his 2013 F800GS, according to Catherine of Pivot Pegz in Tasmania, who I spoke on the phone with last night, Pivot Pegz does NOT yet have a model of peg compatible with the 2013 F800GS, nor for that matter the new water-cooled R1200GS.

They have heard from others that their current offering does not fit properly and they also claim they have yet to actually see one of these bikes and take measurements.

I am sending Catherine some detailed photos and accurate measurements and she hopes it will be a relatively simple matter to adapt the current model Pegz with new spacers, but according to her, it would very likely take a new model of Pegz to fit. (But as I said, she claims the new bikes have not yet made it to Australia and that it takes even longer for them to get to Tasmania.)

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #110
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Yeah, I don't know. That's what my BMW dealer sold me. They're on and been riding them since December now. Like I said I emailed Pivot Pegz twice and never got a reply back. If there is a change would like to know and hopefully a retrofit.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #111
thinker
Simple is Better

Oddometer: 390
Thumb Pivot Pegz

I have had Pivot Pegz on my 2010 F800GS since I bought it new and they work great !
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #112
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Was it Pivot Pegz North America support you emailed? That's who I emailed, and now after 5 business days, they haven't replied or acknowledged my email.

I phoned Pivot Pegz themselves in Tasmania and got my information directly from them. And other than for not having seen the new 2013 yet, they certainly sounded concerned about figuring it out and giving their clients the best product. By the time they get to their offices on Monday, they will have detailed photos and measurements from me and I hope it helps them.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox8 View Post
Yeah, I don't know. That's what my BMW dealer sold me. They're on and been riding them since December now. Like I said I emailed Pivot Pegz twice and never got a reply back. If there is a change would like to know and hopefully a retrofit.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Good for you!

But we're talking about the 2013 model, and things have changed in the footpeg department with that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post
I have had Pivot Pegz on my 2010 F800GS since I bought it new and they work great !
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #114
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

I'd say yes it was NA support the email is usasupport@pivotpegz.net. Never heard back. But I looked up the factory pegs at ascycles for the 08-12 and 13, the part numbers for factory pegs are the same. To be honest I don't really care for the way they are mounted, if its like that on the previous ones I'm surprised no ones complained.

I like the platform it's wide and the teeth arn't too aggressive, as for the pivot it's either way.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #115
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I got the Touratech Works pegs for my '13 and they fit fine. I got them mainly because I didn't want them to pivot since I expect to be standing on them a lot.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #116
Lucifer666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I installed Pivot Pegz on my F800GS yesterday. Time will tell if this was a good investment .

In the box:

Compared to the original bmw foot peg:

Installation was really easy, both sides done in 20 - 30 minutes:

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #117
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Lucifer666, thanks for posting that. Great photos too!

What year is your F800GS?

It looks like those are the Mark 3 newest version of Pivot Pegz... is that right? What are you using as a spacer on the bottom part of the retaining pin? It looks a lot bigger than the very thin spacers that came with mine. Even if I used both spacers on the bottom of the left side, the Pegz still wouldn't remain up as high as yours appears to. And what happens when you deploy the sidestand? Mine hits the Pivot Pegz and sort of lodges between it and the frame making it harder to raise the sidestand.

According to Pivot Pegz (in a telephone call with their head office in Tasmania) they told me they hadn't seen a 2013 model yet but that they've had reports of their pegs not fitting properly. Nor do they fit the water-cooled 1200GS either.

Your do look like they fit properly though. Have you ridden the bike yet with the Pegz on?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #118
Lucifer666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Lucifer666, thanks for posting that. Great photos too!

What year is your F800GS?

It looks like those are the Mark 3 newest version of Pivot Pegz... is that right? What are you using as a spacer on the bottom part of the retaining pin? It looks a lot bigger than the very thin spacers that came with mine. Even if I used both spacers on the bottom of the left side, the Pegz still wouldn't remain up as high as yours appears to. And what happens when you deploy the sidestand? Mine hits the Pivot Pegz and sort of lodges between it and the frame making it harder to raise the sidestand.

According to Pivot Pegz (in a telephone call with their head office in Tasmania) they told me they hadn't seen a 2013 model yet but that they've had reports of their pegs not fitting properly. Nor do they fit the water-cooled 1200GS either.

Your do look like they fit properly though. Have you ridden the bike yet with the Pegz on?
Yes, it are the Mark 3.
My f800gs is a 2011.
I use the spacers delivered with the pivot pegs, you can see 2 spacers in the first picture, 1 for left and 1 for right foot peg.
When I use the sidestand the rubber around the spring hits the footpeg juuuuuuust a little bit, nothing more.
I ordered mine at touratech.
No, didn't have the time yet to do a proper test ride .

Fitting instructions with spacers:

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #119
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, well the 2013 F800GS is different, and especially due to the "factory lowered" suspension on my bike. Even the sidestand is unique, and not the same as either the standard F800GS or the F700GS.

All these issues are in a way making me regret the factory lowered version I bought. But then again, without that I couldn't even consider this bike.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #120
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,492
Eldor, it's too bad you don't do business with Dual Sport Plus........
I informed them of the issues you were having and Rick remedied it and installed mine yesterday.
It pays to buy local!

ps. The AltRider crash bars I bought from them were perfect.....not a single defect...