User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Alice.in.Underpants OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
thought i would introduce myself

i joined up here a couple of weeks ago because your input and experience is more than helpful, so i thought i would say hi with a ride report from about a month ago

i bought my 2001 ZRX 1200R about 2 months ago and decided to take it out on my first moto-camping trip... my first camping trip in ever, actually.

I went out with a friend of mine, at the last minute we decided to break in our newly acquired bikes and head off to the Great Sand Dunes in southern Colorado. This was where we ended up going:

This is my first big ride/motorcycle camping excursion and I couldn’t have had a better teacher than my friend

(while this HUGE bag looks bad, in total it only weighed about 30 pounds. first thing on the shopping list before another trip, a sleeping bag that was made after 1985 that can squish into a thimble- this is what happens when you get hand-me-downs from your mom... btw, mom- thanks!)

On Friday before meeting my friend in Pueblo, CO I had a school function where I met with the GIS Club for a private tour of the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. (If you ever get the chance I strongly suggest going here. Most zoos are kinda depressing but here the handlers are constantly coming up with new things to keep the animals active and it showed.)

This is the view from the zoo

And the best part about this place, you get to feed the giraffes!

(they kinda smell like pot)

Edit (since no one here has met me), this is one of the girls in my GIS club that decided to feed the giraffe with her mouth:

After the zoo I rode down to Pueblo where I met up with my road dog.
I had some time to kill so I did some re-merchandising in the wal-mart

And hung around a bit

After meeting we got to the sand dunes after dark so we set up camp and passed out. In the morning we had a visitor to the campsite

Then we went to check out the sand

The plan was to play on the sand and climb up one of the dunes and instead we decided that idea was insane and we would rather go ride some more so we loaded the bikes and took off to ride.

On the way up there I took my first (and only) picture from the saddle:

(not too shabby i think- complete with my fingers on the top- i was amazed at how vast everything is, you never can notice that riding on the back or in a cage)

Eventually we decided to go up to Buena Vista to see if the gods were still meeting up there and as it turns out they were, it was so pretty.

The next morning headed back to Denver to shake out the sand and shop for smaller gear...
apparently a collapsible bucket is useful, and some flip flops, too- just FYI

So that's it. I was so lucky and thankful to be able to go.

I hope to be able to go on a number of these. I know my zrx is not good for going off road like all of you guys do, but i like roads. im getting my degree in urban planning, so what more is there to expect?
Alice.in.Underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,518
Read ride reports, your own trial and error, hang with those more experienced - it's all good. Keep up the travel because it just gets better, and welcome.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 799

Riding with cuffed jeans and pointed pumps - COOL!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.

AZ_ADV_RIDER screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 12:18 PM
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Alice.in.Underpants OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER

Riding with cuffed jeans and pointed pumps - COOL!
oh, those arent pointed pumps, my new boots havent arrived yet. those are puma boots. not great for protection in the feet, but better than most sneakers, they have really thick suede all the way up to my knees. i have a pair of alpinestars sm-x boots but i cannot point my toes in them- something imperative with the new bike as i can only touch on my tip-toes. i am also waiting on my backordered pants to come in. but yes, you caught me squidding out. i was at least wearing knee pads under the jeans.

and mrbob, THANKS!
Alice.in.Underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Great report and photos. The first time is always special

Good stuff, hope you enjoy many miles of safe travels!

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 716
Nice Welcome to the Asylum

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Great First Ride!!!

Quote:
(not too shabby i think- complete with my fingers on the top- i was amazed at how vast everything is, you never can notice that riding on the back or in a cage)
Not too shabby indeed! It's wonderful to see a new rider's impressions, especially when they "get it" on the first go. Good on ya for getting three first's under your belt. Ride your own Ride and keep sharing them with us! dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 229
Love the bike!
I sold mine this spring to get the bike of my dreams, but I still miss my ZRX.
It was the best bike I've ever owned, not counting my new ride.
Welcome, and hope to see more reports.

My old flame:

My new bike:
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote