User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,341
Texas to Canada

I bought a bike in Texas and I'm riding it home to Canada in 72 hours or less. Route-wise I'm just planning Google Map's suggested route: Highway 30 from Dallas to Memphis. Highway 40 to Nashville. Hwys 65 and 71 to Toledo, then I-75 the last 30 minutes to the border.
I'm hoping to reach Memphis the first night. Does that sound do-able? Can anyone recommend a hotel on/near Hwy 40, preferably with secure parking and no bedbugs? Also, I've never experienced Memphis barbeque (I ate at "Memphis BBQ" in Detroit once but I'm guessing it isn't the same), so can someone tell me where to eat in Memphis?
Day 2 Hwy 40 to Nashville (Mapquest's route doesn't go anywhere near Nashville...I'm open to suggestions).
I'd appreciate suggestions for breakfast, lunch, coffee, any KTM dealers along the way, and any ADV RIDER brotherly advice anyone can offer.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Better re read that map.

65 and 71 won't take you anywhere near Toledo.

If making time, 30 East to 55/57 north to 70 to 69 and cross at Sarnia. Yes it's further, but faster without city hassles. Detroit is worth avoiding at all costs.

Personally I hate Memphis and wouldn't consider staying close to that dump.

Plenty of alternate roads, like Western Kentucky Parkway (all interstate) will get you to 65 south of Louisville. You can route through Evansville/Paducah as well. From Louisville, you can either head for Cincinatti and 75 north or up to Indy and pick up 69.

3 days gives you about a 500 mile a day average.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Google says 30 to Memphis, 40 to Nashville, 65 northbound out of Nashville, past Fort Knox, onto 264, then 71 northeast around Germantown, 71 meets 75 all the way to the border.

Mapquest says, 30 to 40 (430ish miles), I-55 for 131 miles, I-57 for 185 miles, I-70, I-69, I-75 to the border.

Think I should stop south of Memphis for the night or try to make it north?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Sedalia Missouri. Get a late start and eat at Lambert's.

All depends on how far you make it the first day.

Little Rock sucks (unless you stay with inmates)

Memphis sucks (unless you are passionate about Elvis or Meth or prostitution)

55/57 to 70 to 465 to 69 would be my choice. Stay on 70 directly through downtown Indy and take 465 north on the east side to 69 north. West side of the loop is heavy construction, and the south side, just plain sucks. There's only about a mile difference overall in total miles to 69 on all three routes to 69. WATCH speed limits as they drop to 50 quickly. Shortest would be to take 469 around Ft. Wayne, to highway 24 to Toledo. Then get on 475 to 75 north. Generally, the Ambassador Bridge blows. Sarnia is a much simpler crossing with less traffic, hence 69 from Indy to Canada. 69 north becomes 69 east in Lansing. 69 also has a higher speed limit versus 75.

Shortest does not always mean the fastest.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

You are a wealth of information, thanks. I had a few private messages warning me about Memphis. What a tragedy that city has gotten that way.
Once I get to Indy I know my way around pretty well, but it's my first time through the southern states. Any thought as to where I should try to end up the first night? I'll probably hit the highway out of Dallas at 6am and other than fuel and one Starbucks (I hope) stop I'll ride til dusk. I may really push and try to cover half the distance to Canada on day 1. I'm new to the Adv 990 so I'll have to see how well the bike and I get along and how aggressively the 990 will eat highway miles.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

I took your route Mr Primate. Good advice, however the tornado in the field next to me in Missouri was a bit of a surprise. I guess it was an excuse to test the bike's top speed (which I did fleeing from the friggin thing). Thanks