ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Blizzardsnest OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Sierra Lands Closure Protest

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm, a group of concerned people from Fresno, Clovis, and the foothill communities are meeting at the park and ride at the stop sign at the intersection of 168 and Lodge Road. They are protesting the closure of public access to California forests. Closures will begin at the end of June to protect the endangered yellow-legged frog and the Yosemite toad. The Federal Register posted on April 29, 2014 that the closures are to protect these endangered animals, and to prevent human contact. Anne Widner said that these closures in 17 counties would not only stop people entering the areas for recreation, but also will adversely affect local businesses and homes. Everyone is invited to take part in this peaceful event, which leads up to the symbolic cutting the locks off a Federal gate on Memorial Day, May 26, 2014, also at 6:00 pm.
Jim Patterson’s press release stated, “Ignoring the pleas of 40,000 residents and business owners in the affected areas, the USFWS’ decision could impact about two million acres of private, state, and federal lands which include much of California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains including parts of Fresno, Madera, Mariposa and Tulare counties.”
Kirk MacKenzie, of Defend Rural America said. “The county supervisors in the affected counties can, should, and must take ownership of defending our lands and rights. Residents and representatives in the affected counties must follow through with the appeal process, and the counties should create and fund a permanent defense against future egregious abuses of our environmental legislation.”
Assemblyman Patterson, Supervisor Case, Supervisor Poochigian, Council member Clint Oliver, Sheriff Margaret Mims showed their support during the press conference held on May 2 outside the Federal Courthouse, Fresno
Blizzardsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
wow the enviro wacko's never stop! I will pass this info along to all my friends,to see who can attend this protest. thanks for posting this. you know i have been recreating the sierras all my life, and i have never seen any frogs anywhere.I believe this is another land grab by the feds.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
They are actually going to start locking gates? The way I read the law, it requires an extra environmental revew for a logging operation, etc. More red tape but not blanket closures.

Do you have a link? All I could find was this, a rock climbing area in the Angeles Nat'l forest:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angele...TELPRDB5346071
Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,462
last years fed register frog closure PDF

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-09598.pdf
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Plumas USFS has closed an area here for the red legged frog,they cant find or prove the science behind it,and didnt need to.

And yet,the Plumas USFS office is broke and laying off even upper level workers,no sign of enforcing their supposed closure ever in the 2 years it has been closed. Typical govt horseshit one end has no idea what the other end is doing. If there's a gate we go around it.

Some of us have ran into rangers out there while riding,they say have a nice day. Some counties are making noise about taking over management of forest areas from the USFS,due to extreme lameness and inactivity.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
C_S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I love how this stuff goes down with barely a whisper to local citizens. Anyone have a good map that shows the closures? The map on that April 2013 pdf is pathetic.
C_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
It's been proven that the frog problem is caused by fish stocking and a fungal infection. So keep the OHV'ers out, YEAH.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
Unfortunately turning Fed lands over to the local authorities will not be an improvement. They have no money as it is to fund management and will have an eye to exploiting the land for a buck. Small town cronyism is different... but not better than Fed over reach.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
azbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
not so sure I agree with Jeff- why not let the Counties manage it and see how it goes?
azbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't agree with jeff either,It's kinda like letting someone else manage your family's health care.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Daryl D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I believe the Stewards of the Sierra will be there

Its important
Daryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

your right it is an important protest. If things keep going on like this we might as well sell our bikes and quit riding.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
Unfortunately turning Fed lands over to the local authorities will not be an improvement. They have no money as it is to fund management and will have an eye to exploiting the land for a buck. Small town cronyism is different... but not better than Fed over reach.
Your most likely right,here the county has applied for a good sized grant to fix forest roads and our trail riding club is keeping it's foot in the door to use some of the money for trails.

Its all new to the county,their trying for the grant to see what they can do,nobody else is trying for it so why not? The local USFS is working on a big roads closure,they cant afford to maintain em so closing is what they do.
The last USFS meeting about which roads to close turned into a screaming match between the head ranger and road users,wasnt pretty.

There is a lawsuit in progress over OHV useage of the Plumas,the main movers and shakers of it all got bills in the mail.

It seems the USFS found out it can bill litigants for printing costs of maps,etc. 18,000.00 dollar printing fee.

Its another way of discouraging people from suing them.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Blizzardsnest OP
Adventurer

Here is a pretty good story from Channel 47 of the protest and the closures.

In case you missed the last one, there will be another protest on Memorial Day at the bottom of the four-lane at 6:00 pm. It is a symbolic cutting of the locks off a Federal gate.

I will be taking notes on that subject!!!!! There should be a symbolic complete gate removal!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
Blizzardsnest OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Bitching and complaining about saving frogs? Without them the Sierra would be overridden with mosquitoes and tadpoles are a food source for many species. Find somewhere else to ride. It isn't like this state is lacking of places to ride -- you just need to know where to look.
Not sure if you are serious or not!!!??? This isn't just about riding. Way way more than that. This is about removing humans from the forest. Especially near anything even remotely wet. Grazing, dams, water diversions, logging, fire management, mining, travel, sport fishing, hiking, camping, rafting, and more, travel of any type will be impacted. They are talking about removing the trout from the lakes!!! 2 million acres. This is huge. 17 Counties. The whole spine of the Sierras.

To me, this is THE place to ride. There is nothing else like it.

Yes, frogs and toads are good but even the researchers admit that it is a fungus that is killing the frogs and not human contact. You need to educate yourself.

This is what the bitchers and complainers are saying: https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...-sierra-nevada

More info:
http://www.defendruralamerica.com/DRA/FrogsToads.html

This is Agenda 21 on the march forward in a big way!!!!!!!!!!!

Blizzardsnest screwed with this post 05-25-2014 at 07:28 PM