ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #1501
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
So... what is the recommended GPS for this event? I have a Zumo but, were I lucky enough to maybe get an invite to the next one, I might just have to step up to whatever it is that the real men use. I recall reading somewhere that this is not for the average Zumo (or similar) user.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #1502
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Aha! There it is! On the websight: http://www.kingsofthewestrally.com/

"All Riders must utilize a GPS for this event. No NUVIS's or Zumo's allowed."
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #1503
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbronco View Post
So... what is the recommended GPS for this event? I have a Zumo but, were I lucky enough to maybe get an invite to the next one, I might just have to step up to whatever it is that the real men use. I recall reading somewhere that this is not for the average Zumo (or similar) user.

I would recommend a GPS that does NOT use a touch-screen. I understand that most of the newer wide-screen GPS devices have Touch-Screens and finding something that is not touch-screen is more difficult. I had a Garmin Oregon that is touch-screen. When riding across the desert, the dust and dirt would settle on the screen, making it difficult to see the path. When I would clean off the screen, the screen would respond to the touch (as it should) and move the track. If I locked the screen, I would still have to clean the screen of dust and dirt, and upon cleaning the screen, the menu would come up to unlock the screen. Frustrating.

I have since sold the Oregon and picked up a used Garmin GPSMAP 276C. These screens are large, and not touch-screens, and the units are waterproof. To find a GPSMAP 276C/376C/478C you have to really watch fleabay or this site for deals. These devices tend to run up around $800 dollars, and that is the used price. Since Garmin no longer makes these devices, they are rare, but highly sought after.....

my two cents worth of experience....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #1504
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Garmin GPSMAP 276C
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #1505
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,056
I used a Zumo 665 and had no issues with it. I thought it was much easier to see the screen than the 276, and the chipset is a lot faster.

I had no problems with the touch screen. I did put a piece of protective film over the screen to keep it from scratching when I would wipe the dust off of it. The touch screen on mine didn't adversely react to a full screen glove wipe. You needed to be pretty accurate with your touches to adjust the zoom or any other function.

The one functionality that the Zumo doesn't have is Track Back, where you pick a point on the track and it will guide you back to that point.

It really comes down to being familiar with using your GPS. Ask Wally, he was screwed until I showed him how to put his 60csx into Track Up Below 10 miles.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #1506
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I used a Zumo 665 and had no issues with it. I thought it was much easier to see the screen than the 276, and the chipset is a lot faster.........

ouch...... $800 bones.....
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #1507
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Garmin GPSMAP 276C
+ Infinity.

276/376

The serious riders will go with this system every time over any other thing out there.

You can't beat this system. I've used them yacht racing and on motorcycles and they will never let you down, are easy to read and use on the fly because they have a large screen, and most of all, they are bomb proof. I've crashed so hard that I found mine laying 30 feet from my bike after pummeling through rocks and it still works fine.

Touch screens suck! because in the rough stuff you can touch the wrong thing or wrong part of the screen and really screw yourself.

And yes, they are only available used now, and very hard to find. Keep your eyes on E-bay.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #1508
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
I used a Zumo 665 and had no issues with it. I thought it was much easier to see the screen than the 276, and the chipset is a lot faster.

I had no problems with the touch screen. I did put a piece of protective film over the screen to keep it from scratching when I would wipe the dust off of it. The touch screen on mine didn't adversely react to a full screen glove wipe. You needed to be pretty accurate with your touches to adjust the zoom or any other function.

The one functionality that the Zumo doesn't have is Track Back, where you pick a point on the track and it will guide you back to that point.

It really comes down to being familiar with using your GPS. Ask Wally, he was screwed until I showed him how to put his 60csx into Track Up Below 10 miles.
What? No problems? On day 3 last event you ended up riding over some mountain that wasn't even on the course towards the end of the day............................................... ......

Oh wait a minute...................................Never mind.

Zumos still suck!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #1509
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
+ Infinity.

276/376

The serious riders will go with this system every time over any other thing out there.

You can't beat this system. I've used them yacht racing and on motorcycles and they will never let you down, are easy to read and use on the fly because they have a large screen, and most of all, they are bomb proof. I've crashed so hard that I found mine laying 30 feet from my bike after pummeling through rocks and it still works fine.

Touch screens suck! because in the rough stuff you can touch the wrong thing or wrong part of the screen and really screw yourself.

And yes, they are only available used now, and very hard to find. Keep your eyes on E-bay.
Does it receive Satellite radio?? I likes groovin to some tunes while riding.

And Tim. Track up is WAY over-rated. A functional GPS takes all the fun and challenge out of the ride.
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #1510
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
What? No problems? On day 3 last event you ended up riding over some mountain that wasn't even on the course towards the end of the day............................................... ......

Oh wait a minute...................................Never mind.

Zumos still suck!
wait a minute thats not funny

well on the other hand maybe in hindsight since your still alive it is kinda

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #1511
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post

And Tim. Track up is WAY over-rated. A functional GPS takes all the fun and challenge out of the ride.

Yeah, who needs to follow a functional GPS, when I can just follow the dust clouds left behind by you guys.

geez, you guys are fast.

How are the ribs?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #1512
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post

The antique that Rob loves can't play any tunes.

Wally, I apologize for ruining your ride. When I passed you in the sagebrush and you were randomly riding in circles, I should have realized that you were doing it for your own enjoyment and to hand deliver some CO2 to those poor plants that are suffocating in their own waste.

I like the Zumo and the touchscreen is just something to get used to. The technology is going that direction and they aren't going to be making any new units with buttons anytime soon, so I opted to learn the new stuff and go with it.

I'll probably go out to Caliente this spring, ride all of Day 3, and pick up the smashed bike parts that I left in the boonies.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #1513
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
I'll probably go out to Caliente this spring, ride all of Day 3, and pick up the smashed bike parts that I left in the boonies.
You got a riding partner if you want one. I need to go pick up the smashed brains I left outside Ely on day 2.
Fuck you, Rob - I'm gonna finish that course.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #1514
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
You got a riding partner if you want one. I need to go pick up the smashed brains I left outside Ely on day 2.
Fuck you, Rob - I'm gonna finish that course.
Pucker - What are you doing Memorial Day weekend
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #1515
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Pucker - What are you doing Memorial Day weekend
The REMIX remix will have to be some other time - I'll be camping with the family at Carlsbad state beach that whole week..

Anyone else want to run the course with us? (keeping in mind I'll be puttin like a old man) Someone's gonna have to haul my bloody amnesiatic carcass to another hospital when I fall again, & I don't think Tim can carry me too far.