Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #61
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
According to SPOT you guys are making good progress.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #62
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 325
Watch your paperwork...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey
If you reckon a 'BM Trouble You' with Australian number plates in Chile is kooky. I know someone who is riding an F8 in Sydney with New Hampshire number plates ! and remember what happened to the last Australian you saw riding a BMW in the USA... he was arrested trying to smuggle it home in his luggage !
Mike & Kim

Just a heads up, I was held up at the Bolivian-argentine Border for seven and a half hours on that very bike. When we attepted to cross it seems that that the Argentina Aduana was not crazy about about some of us trying to import Australian registered bikes from Bolivia into Argentina. The bikes had been back and forth before but that day the official was questioning the authority of the Compass guide's authority to import the bikes in our group. He would not even accept a bribe!!

The border crossings you will be going through down to Ushuaia were really smooth so you guys should be ok.

Take care of that bike, it carried me over 5400 km with out a hitch...well except foR one flat.

Ride safe.

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #63
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,216
Great day today!!!

Hi everyone!

We had a great day today. About 250 miles with about 90 on very dusty gravel through the mountains. Awesome stuff. Got stuck at the border for about 2 1/2 hours but came out OK.

It's late now, so we'll post tomorrow with some pretty good stuff. Great scenery, local flavor, food, construction, gravel and twisties. Stay tuned for tormorrow.

Just finished an authentic Argentine asado with mucho vino. Muy, muy bueno.

Til later!

Mike and Kim

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 12-06-2010 at 06:18 AM
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #64
DirtDancer
Slidin' Downhill

Oddometer: 90
Thumb I'm going with you!

Thanks for sharing! Well done and Happy to go along!! WooHoooo!
DirtDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #65
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2touringtheworld
Hi everyone!

We had a great day today. About 250 miles with about 90 on very dusty gravel through the mountains. Awesome stuff. Got stuck at the border for about 2 1/2 hours but came out OK.

It's late now, so we'll post tomorrow with some pretty good stuff. Great scenery, local flavor, food, construction, gravel and twisties. Stay tuned for tormorrow.

Just finished an authentic Argentine asada with mucho vino. Muy, muy bien.

Til later!

Mike and Kim

Looking forward to the next set of photos...
according to SPOT, you are in San Carlos, right near the water!

Great run so far!

Pat in NH

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #66
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Riding for Real

So we've kicked off the trip but today we got our first taste of real gravel in South America, and we mean real taste. About 80 miles worth of very dusty but fairly easy going (with some construction exceptions). So let's give you a taste of where we started and went.

We started Pucon, then went to:
  • Junin de los Andes
  • San Martin de los Andes
  • and ended up and San Carlos de Bariloche
All in all about 250 miles with 80 miles on gravel through some mountain passes and the Argentinian border.

When we geared up and left Pucon, there was a marine layer overcast and it was about 50 degrees F. The volcano was still smoking and here you can see that the top has a bit of that toasty look to it.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 01:20 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #67
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Headed for Argentina

Today we are heading to Argentina to the city of San Carlos de Bariloche. The first 25 or so miles was very easy going with smooth road, nice twisties and great views.

On the way we will pass another volcano right on the border of Chile and Argentina called Lanin. In fact, shortly after we got on the smooth and twisting pavement, we could see the back (Chilean view) of Lanin.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #68
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Onto the Gravel

After zooming for a while, we headed for the border into the mountains and onto the gravel. The surface was similar to the Trans Labrador Highway in places with lots of pea like loose gravel, but in other areas, very hard packed and in great shape. In most of the steep climb areas, the roads were very corrugated so we did lots of bouncing around on the bikes.

Here's a pic of where we hit some of the first climbing areas on the gravel. Great background though huh! That's the Argentinian volcano Lanin in the background.

On the other side of the road on this corner we got our first glimpse of the monkey puzzle tree. Sort of looks like a pine tree doesn't it. But up close it's far different. The bark is prickly as well almost artichoke like.

How's this for a bit of a monkey puzzle road obstacle?

When they get big, they are even more amazing. I have some video that you'll see shortly that shows you.

NOTE: The video files are very large and with the bandwith available so far, I am not going to be able to post video until I have a good transfer rate. So until then, please be patient and I'll get the video up when the bandwidth can accomodate 250 MB file sizes. Thanks!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 03:58 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #69
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Please be patient for the video

Folks,

Sorry but with the size of the video files and the transfer rates I've been experiencing so far, I've not be able to post any video. I'm hoping that I'll get a good transfer rate connection shortly and I can upload some video using that new fangled helmet cam. So please be patient with me and I'll get it posted as soon as I can. Promise. OK?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #70
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

A Bit Chilly Leaving Chile

As you can see from Kim's bulked up 'Stitch, it was a bit chilly leaving Chile.

But we got back on the road and headed for the Argentinian border.

Before we knew it, we were at the Argentinian border; and we were there for a while. Quite a while in fact. Over 2 1/2 hours, while van loads of other people went on their way. I'd show you pictures of the border area which was quite nice BTW, but I was told by people in the know not to take pictures in the border area (frankly, not that big a deal since you can't do the same thing at US Customs either). Ultimately, we made it!

After clearing the border, it was not long before we were back on pavement.

We went through the small city of San Martin de Los Andes and stopped at an ATM to pick up some Argentinian pesos. The city sits at the edge of a lake and at the foot of the Andes. There was some nice twisty pavement from here to the gravel again.

Once about 35 miles clear of San Martin, we were back on the gravel again and getting a taste of some of the less poputated areas of Argentina.

From here a large plain spread out in front of us hemmed in by mountains. Beautiful! Not far from here, we got an up close and personal look at Lanin.

...and for a little size perspective...

By this time it was time for a brief pit stop so we found a nice place to pull off for a drink and a power bar beside a fast moving river.

I guess everyone was interested in collecting something for eating...

So after our snack, we were once on our way past more Argentine mountains until we could get our real Argentinian lunch.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 01:44 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #71
compassexpeditions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Have a fantastic ride Kim and Mike and I look forward to seeing more of your photos! Feliz viaje.
Jerry
compassexpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #72
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Lunch Time!

So back on pavement and riding through various little towns, we found Aurelia's empenada stand (nestled with about 5 other empenada stands). But Aurelia has had 2 generations making empenadas so it was worth a try.

That's Aurelia and her daughter in the background making our empenadas. When she was done, they looked like this...

Let us tell you, they were TASTY!!!! Aurelia, you and your daughter get the for home cooked empenadas. Kim and I had beef, chicken and ham and cheese empenadas and wow! They were good.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 01:53 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #73
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Back on the Gravel

After lunch, we were shortly back on the gravel. We did hit some areas of construction and had one 20 minute stop cause by this...

The workers were up here...

While we waited below down here...

And the construction equipment worked on creating another wall to hold the earth up.

After passing the construction, it was time for more gratuitous gravel gallavanting with sights like these...

oh and this...

She showed up during a roadside pit stop. Did I mention that so far Argentina is sort of like Iceland with cows instead of sheep? There are cows everywhere roaming the gravel roads. On the side of the roads, in the middle of the roads, crossing the roads. Everywhere! Kim nearly had a close encounter with a calf. So far, there have also been numerous wild (or roaming domestic) horses, dogs and sheep. Be careful!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 05:30 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #74
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,038
Oh.... I sooo miss good empenadas.

Keep it coming kids.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #75
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Empenadas

Frostbit,

We have learned one thing already on this most excellent adventure. If there is one thing to really miss, it is a really good empenada. So we send you our most sincere and humble regrets on your sorrows.

Next time we come here, you and ML will have to be at our sides Kemosabe'.

Over and out!

Mike and Kim