Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #1591
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
There's some nice single track around that hill. I miss going all the way to the top. One of the first things I did with my 650L was ride it up and down. Stock tires and gearing. Can't do that now.
I found a cabin on a creek on Ross a few years back. Haven't been able to find it again, but it was near the old fire tower. It had signs about cameras and vandalism also.
Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. The WX is going to be beautiful.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #1592
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Red truck with one bike in the bed and two on a trailer behind. 5pm on hwy 84 leaving Ross.
Was that you Greg?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #1593
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
Red truck with one bike in the bed and two on a trailer behind. 5pm on hwy 84 leaving Ross.
Was that you Greg?
If it was a red Nissan Titan with a CRF250X in the back and two Katooms on the trailer, that was us. It was about five when we pulled out. And yes, we found the single track over on the big hill climb by the tower. That is about the tightest trail I've ridden in a long time! It was a warm and dusty day, but a great day riding! Just what the doctor ordered! 55 miles today... I'll be feeling it tomorrow at work! Wish you could have joined us!

Greg
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #1594
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
If it was a red Nissan Titan with a CRF250X in the back and two Katooms on the trailer, that was us. It was about five when we pulled out. And yes, we found the single track over on the big hill climb by the tower. That is about the tightest trail I've ridden in a long time! It was a warm and dusty day, but a great day riding! Just what the doctor ordered! 55 miles today... I'll be feeling it tomorrow at work! Wish you could have joined us!

Greg
How did the X work in that stuff? Good rider on it or a novice? Been looking hard at one of those with a BB kit. Thanks.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #1595
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
How did the X work in that stuff? Good rider on it or a novice? Been looking hard at one of those with a BB kit. Thanks.
I'm one of those riders on the downhill side. I was competitve in the B classes in the Arkansas Hare Scramble Series way back in the day but would now be lucky to finish mid-pack in a C class. The guys I rode with at Ross are A riders, so I had to ride over my head to hang with them or so they wouldn't have to wait too long at trail intersections.

Having raced big-bore thumpers prior to my X (YZ400 & 426F, XR600), I had to learn how to negotiate obstacles that I once would loft over with the twist of the throttle. However, the 250X is a great bike as in it doesn't wear you out. The power delivery is pretty smooth and for tight woods, it's ideal for me. I tell people it's a great old man's bike (I'm 53).

If you do choose to go the route of a 250X, I highly, highly recommend opening up the breather box, install a JD jetting kit and go for an aftermarket exhaust (I'm running a Q4). It's amazing how that wakes those things up... or more makes you wonder why Honda corks them up so badly.

Greg
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1596
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

I rode a friend's X a couple years ago. Really easy to ride. Worked very well on single track. Easier to ride and faster than a KDX200.

I'm similar to Wook. Once a decent B rider, now over the hill.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #1597
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Crf250x?

After I posted earlier, I realized that there is one glaring problem with the 250X... the valves. My checkbook reminded me that I spent $421.00 back in the winter shipping my head off to California to have Kibblewhite valves put in my head, along with new springs and having the head machined. The titanium valves are the Achilles heel of the X. I've heard stories about how some never have problems but if you ride it in the higher RPM ranges, you're more likely to have issues. Funny thing is I don't ride there. I typically lug mine, but noticed the left hand intake started tightening up on a regular basis... maybe every two to three hours of ride time.

I had planned on getting a WR250 but I'm a Honda fan, plus I thought the aluminum frame looked cool (the WR didn't have it until 2007). Note about that cool looking aluminum frame: a major pain to access the carb!

In retrospect, I am still glad I have this bike. I've always been an XR fan and have had a bunch of them in the past, most recently a 2004 XR250R (other than my current XR650L). You say you have an XR400? I've read that the CRF250X has power close to what the 400 has, but less flywheel in that it revs much quicker. A heavier Steahly is on my wish list!

Greg
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #1598
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Thanks guys, all good info on the X. Y'all are pretty young but you appear to be trustworthy. About those valves. I am told that a VERY VERY well maintained air filter is a big + for long life. A guru tells me that BelRay filter oil is the only thing to use. Requires a solvent to clean but filters the best. Thanks again. Oops, PS, my XR4 sure is lonesome for some AR trails and a piece of pie at Oark!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #1599
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Thanks guys, all good info on the X. Y'all are pretty young but you appear to be trustworthy. About those valves. I am told that a VERY VERY well maintained air filter is a big + for long life. A guru tells me that BelRay filter oil is the only thing to use. Requires a solvent to clean but filters the best. Thanks again. Oops, PS, my XR4 sure is lonesome for some AR trails and a piece of pie at Oark!
I've heard that too. "If you keep your bike maintained and stay away from the rev limiter, your valves will last forever". I'm EXTREMELY anal on maintenance and keeping a clean machine. Though I bought my CRF new in '06, it had very, very few hours on it. In fact, when I sent the head off, I ordered new rings for it. When I pulled the cylinder off, I checked my stock rings and they were still way within the tolerance limits. The owner of AS Racing that did my valves told me that some CRF valves just go... and typically that left hand (if memory serves me correctly) intake.

I too use the Bel-Ray foam filter oil. I liken it to tree sap or fly paper glue! That stuff is some kind of sticky!

Are you wanting the CRF250X to tag and dual sport or just to have a dirt only trail bike? If the prior, I'd keep that XR400R and continue to enjoy it (yeah, I had a 1998 XR400R so I know what they're like). I don't think the little CRF would be good for that though I contemplate tagging mine just to tie trails together when the need comes up. It would not make a good highway bike.

Greg
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1600
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

The flat track is this Saturday night at I-30 speedway (Benton Speedbowl), not at the little track. Adult admission is $15, kids $1.

stevenaceracing.com
I-30speedway.com

Working both days this weekend.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #1601
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I'll be there.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #1602
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Does I-30 charge for parking?
I'm a little undecided on going. It will be a push to get there after work and then a short night before working Sunday.
I really liked the small track. High school ball game atmosphere.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #1603
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Carb work recommendations?

Just got my 05 WR450 titled and tag, new tires, street legal kit, etc. I am still not happy with the way it is running. Runs great once you get on it, but it is a little difficult to start, and it just will not idle. If I pull up to a light or stop sign, I have to keep revving it to keep it running. It will start up again but only after 3-4-5 kicks (battery needs replacing, or charged at this time).

Looking at the history of the bike, it was given to the wife in a divorce, and I believe she let it sit awhile before getting rid of it. The way it is running and the history makes be believe the carb could use a good cleaning.

I am a so-so mechanic and can usually get most of the work done myself, but I have never removed a carb or cleaned one. For a shade tree mechanic, is this something I should tackle, or take it to someone. If I take it someplace, does anyone have a recommendation in the LR area?

I am eager to hit the woods for an all day ride, but not sure I trust this bike enough to venture too far out at this point.

I would like to hear your feedback. Should I just bite the bullet and remove the carb and figure it out as I go. Or take it to a shop and spend the $$?

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #1604
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I'd say it depends on how easy the carb is to get at. I won't work on my daughter's KLX 250 because they've got that thing covered up good, but my other bikes are more accessible. You probably just have a dirty pilot jet (the little jet), accessed by removing the bottom of the carb. I'm not familiar with your specific bike model, so that's about all I can say. I'm sure some others here can help more.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #1605
Wudsracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
Just got my 05 WR450 titled and tag, new tires, street legal kit, etc. I am still not happy with the way it is running. Runs great once you get on it, but it is a little difficult to start, and it just will not idle. If I pull up to a light or stop sign, I have to keep revving it to keep it running. It will start up again but only after 3-4-5 kicks (battery needs replacing, or charged at this time).

Looking at the history of the bike, it was given to the wife in a divorce, and I believe she let it sit awhile before getting rid of it. The way it is running and the history makes be believe the carb could use a good cleaning.

I am a so-so mechanic and can usually get most of the work done myself, but I have never removed a carb or cleaned one. For a shade tree mechanic, is this something I should tackle, or take it to someone. If I take it someplace, does anyone have a recommendation in the LR area?

I am eager to hit the woods for an all day ride, but not sure I trust this bike enough to venture too far out at this point.

I would like to hear your feedback. Should I just bite the bullet and remove the carb and figure it out as I go. Or take it to a shop and spend the $$?
If you are handy with wrenches, have moderate patience, and are willing to buy a gallon of Berryman carburetor dip and an aerosol can of brake or carb cleaner, you can do the job. (All four parts of that statement are crucial to the equation.)

After dismantling the carb, you will need to dip the body to melt the varnish and gum in your jets and slow speed (and slow speed bypass) circuits. Your description of symptoms is classic for the above described conditions. After soaking, use aerosol corb or brake cleaner to blow things out. I like to "agitate" the jets with a clean bristle that I cut off a new/non-rusty wire brush. (it has no rust pitting to abrade the jets out of shape. I hold the bristle with pliers for the job.)

I'll be at Ross cutting face slappers off the trail on Saturday. Everyone interested is welcome to join me. I'll be parking at the yellow gate on hwy 7 around 8:30 am. Silver F-150 and '01 KTM520.

Good Riding, Trail Working, and Wrenching to You!
Jim

Wudsracer is offline   Reply With Quote