Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #1681
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I posted some over on the AR camping thread...
OK, I see 'em. I see that it wasn't showing any new posts because you just edited your last post.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #1682
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Saturday June 29

Something has come up and I can't ride next weekend.

arkansawyer screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 04:05 AM
arkansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #1683
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

The second 450 moto is on channel 4 at 2pm today.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #1684
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
anyone planning to attend Queen Wilhemina camping July 19th?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1685
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Learning to ride

I got my son a CRF80 for his 10th birthday this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to learn to ride for a beginner. We went out to the NLR Ott Park, but it's not really a good place to learn. I was looking for an open area, grass would be nice. He has already learned to start (with clutch) and stop pretty well. He needs some work on the shifting part. Throttle control, clutch and toe shifter is proving to be the challenge at this point. He always wants to look down at the shifter and needs a good open area to practice.

I know about the Ross Foundation and Hy 89 locations but was hoping to find something a little closer to home for some afternoon riding lessons.

Thanks in advance, Phil

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #1686
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
I got my son a CRF80 for his 10th birthday this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to learn to ride for a beginner. We went out to the NLR Ott Park, but it's not really a good place to learn. I was looking for an open area, grass would be nice. He has already learned to start (with clutch) and stop pretty well. He needs some work on the shifting part. Throttle control, clutch and toe shifter is proving to be the challenge at this point. He always wants to look down at the shifter and needs a good open area to practice.

I know about the Ross Foundation and Hy 89 locations but was hoping to find something a little closer to home for some afternoon riding lessons.

Thanks in advance, Phil
I can't remember, do you live in Cabot or Conway? I don't know if Highway 89 is open for riding anymore or not (southwest of Vilonia). They used to run hare scrambles down there and it would definitely be a good area for a beginner to learn. We have Craighead Forest up here in Jonesboro, but I wouldn't make a drive up here for that since it would probably be as close to go to Ross (which is way nicer).

Greg
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #1687
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
I can't remember, do you live in Cabot or Conway? I don't know if Highway 89 is open for riding anymore or not (southwest of Vilonia). They used to run hare scrambles down there and it would definitely be a good area for a beginner to learn. We have Craighead Forest up here in Jonesboro, but I wouldn't make a drive up here for that since it would probably be as close to go to Ross (which is way nicer).

Greg
I live in LR.

"Safety Third"
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #1688
Wudsracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thumb

Quote:

Thanks in advance, Phil
I note that you said that Hwy 89 was further than you wanted to travel for an afternoon ride, but it has exactly what you are looking for. There is a large smooth grassy area way to the left (as you are driving in, across from the practice mx track).
As he gets more experienced with the bike, the "lower" trails next to the grassy area are great for "breaking him in" before you try the tougher trails up higher and on the other side of the ridge.
I don't know of any public place in the LR area where you can find what you are looking for, unless you can get a farmer to let you use his pasture.

Good Luck and Good Riding!
Jim

Wudsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1689
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudsracer View Post
I note that you said that Hwy 89 was further than you wanted to travel for an afternoon ride, but it has exactly what you are looking for. There is a large smooth grassy area way to the left (as you are driving in, across from the practice mx track).
As he gets more experienced with the bike, the "lower" trails next to the grassy area are great for "breaking him in" before you try the tougher trails up higher and on the other side of the ridge.
I don't know of any public place in the LR area where you can find what you are looking for, unless you can get a farmer to let you use his pasture.

Good Luck and Good Riding!
Jim

Hy 89 does meet the criteria. I was hoping for a place we could spend 20-30 minutes at a time in the afternoon. I think I'll just head out to Mayflower early on Saturday before the heat set in and spend a few hours with him. He would enjoy that.

Thanks for the advice, Phil

"Safety Third"
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #1690
Wudsracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thumb

You are very welcome.
Maybe we will all get to ride together sometime.
Wudsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #1691
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 466
Quote:

Thanks in advance, Phil
I missed that you included Highway 89.

Greg
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #1692
rackdaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Stolen xr 650L

Bear with Admin.. thank you..
Zack Hudson wrote: HELP/please share: this is my '02 honda xr650l. It was stolen from my house today. Be on the look out for it. Reward for info leading to recovery. It has a white brother stainless steel after market exhaust, bam crossfit sticker on the fron...t fender, fox racing sticker on the left rear fairing, a white brother e-series decal on the right rear. A new Kenda all terrain tire in front and an almost bald Bridgestone dirt tire on back. (colors are red and white stock tank) Keep your eyes out thanks... Owner is offering reward for info leading to recovery..
rackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #1693
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

My daughter wanted to ride on back of the street bike so we went to Magazine for lunch. The food was excellent.

First ride over 30 miles with her. She had fun. I stopped several times each way to let her walk around for a bit.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #1694
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
My daughter wanted to ride on back of the street bike so we went to Magazine for lunch. The food was excellent.

First ride over 30 miles with her. She had fun. I stopped several times each way to let her walk around for a bit.
That is the way to do it. Well done. Keep it fun for her.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #1695
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hy 89 does meet the criteria. I was hoping for a place we could spend 20-30 minutes at a time in the afternoon. I think I'll just head out to Mayflower early on Saturday before the heat set in and spend a few hours with him. He would enjoy that.

Thanks for the advice, Phil
We went out to Hwy 89 on Saturday and had a great time. Weather was nice and there were a lot of folks out riding that day. This was my sons first real riding beyond doing some loops around the yard and driveway at the house. He started out on the dirt road from the hwy back to the MX track and then we moved over to the flatter track for a few loops. After that he got a little confidence and hit the mid sized MX track and stayed on that for at least an hour (off and on). Finally he moved up to the full sized MX track and was having a great time until he hit some mud (they had just taken the water truck around to cut down on the dust and left some mud holes here and there) and broke his clutch lever. At age 10 I debated if I should start him off on a 3 speed automatic or get the CRF80 with the 5 speed. He's a little jumpy starting off with the clutch but all in all he's picking it up pretty well. I was a great father son day and he's chomping at the bit to get back out there.

"Safety Third"