User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
konaunit1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Trials bike as a trail bike

So, I have been thinking about getting a trilas bike for a while now. All the sweet videos of people doing thing that I could never do is very inticing. But I don't have a trail bike really and I don't want to put myself on such a specific bike and limit myself from riding with the guys on the WR's etc.

So my question is how well does a trials bike keep up on the trails in between sessioning the hard stuff? I don't have much knowlege on trials but man it looks fun.

Thanbks in advance
Rich
konaunit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Trials on trails

The uglier the trail the further ahead you will be.The easier the trail the further behind you will be. When we ride 5 Miles of Hell trail I play while everyone but the experts struggle.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
Trials bikes don't have much fuel capacity, either. Barely a mouthful compared to even the most flyweight hardcore single-track bikes. There are auxiliary fuel tanks available for the carburated models to extend fuel range, but I still wouldn't go planning on 75-mile days.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Talking

It depends on the trails you ride. On mountain single track they may have a hard time keeping up with you, on roads and 4 wheeler trails you'll be hating life. Trials bikes have no seats and very little fuel capacity, both these features limit their usefulness as a trail bike.
Don't think that you can't learn Trials tecniques on a trailbike, a well set up trail bike makes an acceptable novice Trials bike. Of course the best solution is one of each.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
example

One year we had a guy enter our club's Enduro on a trials bike. He had a pillow bungeed to the bike so he could sit once in a while. He carried a small can of gas on a pack frame on his back. It looked like WAY more trouble than it was worth.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita
Don't think that you can't learn Trials tecniques on a trailbike, a well set up trail bike makes an acceptable novice Trials bike.

+1.

The techniques work just fine on a 'regular' trail bike.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
konaunit1 OP
Adventurer

Thanks everybody. I kind of figured that would be the answers I would get. i was just looking for some opinions. I guess I should of given some info on me. I do have a big trailbike DR650. But I kind of get freaked out in the tough stuff while riding by myself. I usually only ride for a couple of hours at the most.

I work a lot but have acres to play on. The only time I can get out on the trails is once in a blue moon the kids are at daycare and the wife is working :). I am just getting back into riding the dirt riding.

So if anybody in western WA wants to show me some trial riding I am up to checking it out

Rich
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
dptropepe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
When I was thinking about getting a dirt bike, I was led to a trials bike. I lost my desire for a big bike. The fun factor far outweighs the draw-backs. And, the best part is, you don't need very much land to ride trials.
dptropepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
What about some of the "long trail" kits that some trials bikes come with or have as options. Do those make a reasonable difference?
G

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,376
Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to see a trials bike entered in tough enduro events. Of course it can be argued that enduros aren't always as tough as they used to be and modern enduro bikes are now far better then they used to be. Additionally, modern trials bikes are much better "stunt riding" bikes for pure trials... but less versatile as overall off-road bikes.

For trail riding, I would be looking at any of the capable light weight, electric start enduros that can eat up knarly trails while still having fuel range, suitable gearing, cross country comfort and an actual seat!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
If I were looking for a trials bike to use primarily as a trail bike come play bike I'd look at a 1970's Japanese bike like a TY or TL. In those days they still had reasonable seats and huge fuel tanks compared to modern trials bikes and they were quite capable as trail bikes. No trials bike is going to keep up with a moderm Enduro weapon on a fire trail so just have fun riding at your own pace and when the going gets tough laugh very loudly as you pass the mobile chicanes spread all over the track.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
konaunit1 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
What about some of the "long trail" kits that some trials bikes come with or have as options. Do those make a reasonable difference?
G
Do they make such a thing? That would be cool if you could get a bit bigger of a gas tank on a trials bike so I wouldn't have to carry gas in a small can in a back back

Thanks again for all the feedback I am going to go look at some bikes later on in the month or early nov. See if I can get a ride on a trials bike to see if I would mesh with one or not. Then there is always convincing the wife.
Thanks again

Rich
Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
clfarren5944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
G
My Scorpa Longride has more fuel capacity than their comp bikes but the seat is only useable if you are under 4 ft tall. I've seen some Longrides available on different sites. Also the Gasgas Pampera, trials motor with more standard seating.
Chris
clfarren5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Here's a pic of the current Scorpa Long Ride. Looks like they now come with Sherco motors in either 125cc or 280cc. Very KTM-ish color schemes....

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,302
We have a Scorpa TY-S200F for sale in NM, street-titled and registered. The link to the post in the trials flea market thread is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159. The bike goes well on a typical trials event loop, and it's easily capable of lower skill-level sections such as Novice or Amateur. It has great trials-level suspension and brakes but the cable clutch lacks the feel and super-light pull of a hydraulic unit. The air-cooled Yamaha motor chugs anyway. Fuel capacity is somewhat over a gallon. I understand you can get regular trials tank and (no) seat, but I haven't tried.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote