Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bluhduh BMW F800gs fuel injection gumming up....

So I had a 2009 bmw f800gs that never had a problem starting or anything.

I get a 2010 bmw f800gs and the bike won't start.. so after 2,200 miles
I have to call bmw roadside assistance to take the bike to the dealership.
The dealership goes over the bike and says the fuel injectors are clogged.
The dealer says the 2010 bike has smaller jets and more of them then the 2009 bike.. So they have had problems with the bikes stalling out and not starting.. so the dealer says that bmw says that at every oil change to put in their fuel injection cleaner to fix the problem.. well gee I did not even get to 3,000 miles for the suggested fix... I thought this bike was suppose to be dual sport and designed to go across the world in third world countries. So I guess it is time to remake the "Long way round" with a bike that could make in the year 2010.. I am not happy about this and think bmw is going in the wrong direction for a dual sport bike.

After owning a f650gs and now 2 f800gs.. not sure I am going to buy another dual sport from bmw if they are going to fail me on the road!!!
vsnqust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,082
so what do you plan to do? dump it?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Trust??

Not sure yet.. I love the way the bike rides and where I can take it.. I just not sure whether I trust it...
Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Trust?

There is nothing to worry about. The "Government" just certified that 15% ethanol blended gas is not safe for motorcycles. But by that logic 10% blends must be 2/3 as bad for motorcycles, so all these problems the blended gas creates is just a figment of our imagination. All thanks to Archer Daniels Midlands corn lobbyist......

Or you could go and buy yourself a KLR

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster
There is nothing to worry about. The "Government" just certified that 15% ethanol blended gas is not safe for motorcycles. But by that logic 10% blends must be 2/3 as bad for motorcycles, so all these problems the blended gas creates is just a figment of our imagination. All thanks to Archer Daniels Midlands corn lobbyist......

Or you could go and buy yourself a KLR

I agree, EthoCrap is the culprit.
Hope you don't live in a commie state
Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Pissed

I don't know about the injector nozzles on the 2010 being smaller could be true. If I were one of the Germans that designed the system here's what I'd say:
  • Your damned EPA (other countries same issue diff. goverment agency) gives us no choice but to run FI systems; carburators will not meet standards. Carbs. would be more tolerant, and if not more tolerant at least you'd be able to rebuild them on the side of the road.
  • On top of that we have to run the bikes so lean to meet emissions standards that we have almost zero leeway for irregular operating conditions (like oh... say - just for example ... crappy gas)
  • Your USA "gasoline" with 10% (or more) ethanol is marginal on the best day, crap most of the time.
  • Your gas stations do not properly monitor their tanks for water intrusion - very bad for ethnol mixes.
  • Yup it sucks, but by the way every bike mfg. has the same issue so if you think switching to some other FI bike is gonna make it better I think you'll be disappointed.
Stepping off the defend-the-engineers soap box: I don't know WTF us owners are supposed to do ... carry a damn test kit and test quality before every fill up - you are 200 miles to the next station and this gas is no good? Then what? Carry a bottle of techron and dump in a couple ounces every tank? .... sigh.......... back to my coffee....

Targeted at motorboats not bikes, but still a good article:

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/f...icle%20PSL.pdf

JRWooden screwed with this post 10-20-2010 at 04:27 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 924
Hate to say it, but we're all in the same boat. It's the fuel. Best medicine is going to be going the additive route until the bike mfr's and suppliers figure out what to do next. Don't hold your breath. But don't hang BMW out to dry either.

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ga
Hate to say it, but we're all in the same boat. It's the fuel. Best medicine is going to be going the additive route until the bike mfr's and suppliers figure out what to do next. Don't hold your breath. But don't hang BMW out to dry either.
I understand not hanging bmw out to dry.. but why did my '09 f800gs go 13k miles with no problems and my '10 f800gs got 2,200 and failed to start. I gas up at the same gas stations with both bikes. I guess I just have to carry a bottle of fuel injection cleaner and put it in every so often. I had to take this bike on a long ride like I did with the 09 f800gs like baja and have it fail like this. Though I know failure could be part of the adventure..
Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Are you sure you did not piss someone off enough for them to put suger in your gas? Dave
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,447
All this talk I read about E10 makes me glad the station down the street sells E0!
But I am not always there when I need fuel.

This Chevron stuff is available at Advanced Auto and places like that for those of us who don't have Chevron stations in our state.

I was a mechanic in the 80's and I recall the growing pains the auto manufactures had with methanol. I recall 50% of the Dodge Omni's that came in the shop you could just lift the carb off the engine as the rubber mount was rotted out. (and that system was designed by VW (German) who did not have to deal with methanol).

On the bright side, sooner or later we will discover that these injectors (Bosch?) are also used in another application, and we will be able to get them cheep. I think I recall my 87 K100 had the same injectors as 90's mustang V6 engines (or something like that)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnqust
I understand not hanging bmw out to dry.. but why did my '09 f800gs go 13k miles with no problems and my '10 f800gs got 2,200 and failed to start. I gas up at the same gas stations with both bikes. I guess I just have to carry a bottle of fuel injection cleaner and put it in every so often. I had to take this bike on a long ride like I did with the 09 f800gs like baja and have it fail like this. Though I know failure could be part of the adventure..
We should absolutely not have to do this. This is bullshit, BMW should make a fuel delivery system that can withstand crappy gas or 10% ethanol for the life of the bike. We should not have to carry a bottle of fuel system cleaner everywhere we go. Look at the 12GS, you can put crap gas in that thing over and over and it will keep on tickin'. It's been proven on countless round the world excursions. BMW should be able to do the same with the F8. It's a simple fix.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
xRussellx
Flyboy

Oddometer: 10
Is this going to be an issue with all bikes or is the f800gs just lucky?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnqust
The dealer says the 2010 bike has smaller jets and more of them then the 2009 bike..
Part# 13 61 7 672 335 same as the old.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

simple fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
We should absolutely not have to do this. This is bullshit, BMW should make a fuel delivery system that can withstand crappy gas or 10% ethanol for the life of the bike. We should not have to carry a bottle of fuel system cleaner everywhere we go. Look at the 12GS, you can put crap gas in that thing over and over and it will keep on tickin'. It's been proven on countless round the world excursions. BMW should be able to do the same with the F8. It's a simple fix.
I agree!! That is what makes me mad... I am going to figure out how to contact bmw north america and ask them whether this is a real problem or the dealership is blowing smoke!!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
vsnqust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA
Part# 13 61 7 672 335 same as the old.
Sounds like I am getting some BS from the dealership service department.