Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #76
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
You need a better mechanic/dealer if they are telling you its the fuel or ethanol or whatever thats clogging your injectors. This BS has been going on for years and its got NOTHING to do with the fuel you put in your bike.
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #77
maybilcatchfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I have a 2010 f800gs. I bought it in april and have 15000 miles on it. I have ridden across america and back and a lot of place after that.. It starts for me every time and I trust it a lot seeing how I haven't had one issue with her ever..

also that excuse has been said to me about my 135i the whole ethanol issue. its bull shit
maybilcatchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #78
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore
I am talking about ethanol. Its here to stay and its use will only be more prevalent. BMW needs to make these injectors out of materials that do not react to it. This isn't rocket science but we pay NASA prices for these bikes. Give me examples of other fuel injected vehicle types that are having these problems. Techron and Seafoam are a temporary fix but shouldn't be necessary. The bikes should be engineered to withstand the conditions of the marketed area. That's what the old BMW would do.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #79
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
I see that recent posters (namely George and SCVGS) haven't bothered to read the whole thread, honestly I thought this was closed.

I give up!

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #80
SCVGS
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
I see that recent posters (namely George and SCVGS) haven't bothered to read the whole thread, honestly I thought this was closed.

I give up!

You assumed that I had not. But I have and I stand by my previous statement.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #81
SCVGS
Adventurer

Quote:

I give up!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #82
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnqust
So I had a 2009 bmw f800gs that never had a problem starting or anything.

I get a 2010 bmw f800gs and the bike won't start.. so after 2,200 miles
I have to call bmw roadside assistance to take the bike to the dealership.
The dealership goes over the bike and says the fuel injectors are clogged.
The dealer says the 2010 bike has smaller jets and more of them then the 2009 bike.. So they have had problems with the bikes stalling out and not starting.. so the dealer says that bmw says that at every oil change to put in their fuel injection cleaner to fix the problem.. well gee I did not even get to 3,000 miles for the suggested fix... I thought this bike was suppose to be dual sport and designed to go across the world in third world countries. So I guess it is time to remake the "Long way round" with a bike that could make in the year 2010.. I am not happy about this and think bmw is going in the wrong direction for a dual sport bike.

After owning a f650gs and now 2 f800gs.. not sure I am going to buy another dual sport from bmw if they are going to fail me on the road!!!

Ask your BMW tech if it's possible to swap out the jets for the same ones from last year's model. Make sure they do it under warranty.
Then mention that you found out that the part numbers for last year and this year are still the same?
Basically call their bluff.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #83
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
Hehe, fair enough
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #84
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 604
Quote:

I give up!

Unlike congress I did read it. I to stand by my statements.

On a similar topic have you seen that BMW is recalling 150,000 cars for failing fuel pumps.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #85
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA
Unlike congress I did read it. I to stand by my statements.

On a similar topic have you seen that BMW is recalling 150,000 cars for failing fuel pumps.
Nope, heard it right here first

Root cause?

Is it the fault of a German (or several) engineers that got drunk at lunch and designed a crappy fuel system?

Is it a conspiracy between oil and gas companies and BMW's injector manufacturers to sell more parts?

Or... is it the result of BMW's aggressive fuel system design in search of power and fuel economy which leads to overly sensitive systems that succumb to crappy fuel before your grampa's 1950 chevy does?

Heck, I don't know, maybe it is BMW's fault for trying for tight tolerances, high compression ratios, lighter weight bikes and efficient injectors. I'm not trying to stir the pot too much, I kinda like this thread. If there was absolutely no solution then I would be rioting in the streets with the rest of you (seriously we should do that sometime, I've always wanted to!). But since it seems to be partly the fault of the gas companies and party the fault of BMW (damn you Germans!!! (I'm part German)) and there is a solution out there, I'm just going to go with the flow.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #86
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Quote:
Nope, heard it right here first

Root cause?

Is it the fault of a German (or several) engineers that got drunk at lunch and designed a crappy fuel system?

Is it a conspiracy between oil and gas companies and BMW's injector manufacturers to sell more parts?

Or... is it the result of BMW's aggressive fuel system design in search of power and fuel economy which leads to overly sensitive systems that succumb to crappy fuel before your grampa's 1950 chevy does?

Heck, I don't know, maybe it is BMW's fault for trying for tight tolerances, high compression ratios, lighter weight bikes and efficient injectors.
To me making things efficient to the point where they are no longer robust enough to withstand common environmental variations is foolish.
Yes the gas is crap, but BMW knows that. They need to drop 10 and punt. I can not imagine BMW would lose many sales if they would back off the horse power and bump up the reliability.
I look at this as false economy. Kind of like compact florescent bulbs. They are cheaper to use (being a cheap bastard I love that) however if you drop one you are in big trouble. LEDs are that real solution.

Quote:
If there was absolutely no solution then I would be rioting in the streets with the rest of you (seriously we should do that sometime, I've always wanted to!). But since it seems to be partly the fault of the gas companies and party the fault of BMW (damn you Germans!!! (I'm part German)) and there is a solution out there, I'm just going to go with the flow.

The problem I have with the solution is truth in advertising. BMW knows of the problem but does not properly educate the dealers or customers. The op of this thread stated the dealer told him the new bikes have smaller injectors. That is not true. Statements like that are the reason for all the anger. The service manager of that shop is either misinformed or lazy. Where did he get his information? I called two dealers and checked several on line catalogs before posting my statements. For what dealers charge they should have well informed employees. As for additives once again if BMW knows this will fix the problem then why replace pumps and injectors without specific instruction on what brand of gas or what additives to use. A nod and a wink to only use brand X fuel is not good enough. If BMW gave every new owner a "lifetime" supply of the additive that would shut me up! On this topic at least
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #87
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Seafoam at 1 oz per gallon works fantastically for our ethanol fuels in Colorado! 16,000. miles wihout issues since I replaced my injectors at 1,200. miles. Seafoam lubrication qualities in the additive prevents our aluminum fuel pump from corrosion!
+1 for SeaFoam... see http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

Cheers, M.
Magile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #88
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo Farah, Jr
Hi all ! Im new here and have been following this about gas. I live in Brazil and gas here has 25% of ethanol in it. Have been riding BMWs for the last 12 years, GSs 1100, 1150 and currently a 1200. I use to ride frequently to Argentina, Chile, Bolivia etc... Never had any issues with clogged FI. One thing that I do almost every day is riding the bike at least 4 or 5 miles.
After reading these posts for god knows how long, I think you are on to something. Nobody has talked about riding styles or amounts, as far as I can tell. They just indicate the problem.

I've got about 9000kms, use all kinds of gas but mainly Chevron with Techron, from 87 octane with 10%E to 95 octane with nothing (at 1.35 per litre too I might add). Perhaps the extra taxes we pay in our communist countries pay for inspection or fine companies that put shit gas on the market.

However I am not idling in stop and go traffic. I ride to work every day and open it up which I imagine gets the gas flowing through those injectors. Somewhat akin to 'blowing out the carbon' once and a while, I think this could be a key to the problem. Though admittedly I don't really know what clogs injectors. Maybe it's the aluminum particles getting in there from the fuel pump? But then, why doesn't dude in Brazil with 25% Ethanol have a problem? See what I mean??!

Also, what's the deal with a fuel filter in this system? Is there even one? Most of all bikes I've ever had I've added a filter because the screen in the tank doesn't stop anything.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #89
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Looking at the parts diagrams, there is a filter on the inlet side of the pump, but nothing "downstream" of the pump that would catch any particles that spalled off of the pump its self.

I like the idea, I wonder if it would be possible to fit one? I'd much rather have to pull the pump assby out of the tank to replace a filter than replace injectores....

It could well be that the UK petrol system is more controlled. One of the theories is that it is not the ethanol per-say that is the problem, it is that when the ethanol-laced fuel gets contaminated with water an acid forms which is what does the actual damage.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #90
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Looking at the parts diagrams, there is a filter on the inlet side of the pump, but nothing "downstream" of the pump that would catch any particles that spalled off of the pump its self.

I like the idea, I wonder if it would be possible to fit one? I'd much rather have to pull the pump assby out of the tank to replace a filter than replace injectores....

It could well be that the UK petrol system is more controlled. One of the theories is that it is not the ethanol per-say that is the problem, it is that when the ethanol-laced fuel gets contaminated with water an acid forms which is what does the actual damage.
The filter is just underneath the pump flange. It is not sold separately by BMW but it is removable and alternatives could be found.
I do not think the particles are big enough to be caught by the filter. I think the two theories are acid as you mentioned and something similar to galvanization where metal in the pump is dissolved and the deposited in the injectors. In either case a simple paper filter would no help.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com