Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
tompee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thumb Surprise snow in spring... on a motard! 2 day trip through Vic high country

Greetings ADV,
I recently had my most interesting (probably) and best photographed (definitely!) adventure ride, which I thought I'd share and introduce myself with.

My bike is a WR250X. It might seem silly to take it into the places you'll see below, but it's my commuter as well and 95% of the km I've done on it have been on the bitumen.... I just have to make it do this stuff occasionaly ;-)

This is the path I took (from Melbourne to Mt Buller and back), I reroad a lot of the same tarmac as originally I was just going from A to B and back. ~500km all up.

The background of the ride - earlier this week I decided to do some hiking in the alpine country, hoping to meet Spring weather and just a little of the melting remnants of winter's snow. There was some unseasonally wild weather, however, and I ended up getting stuck up in my cheap off-season room on Mt Buller. I tried to wait it out another day but it got worse!

The forecast was for minus temperatures all weekend, for all I know the snow still hasn't melted, so I decided to make a run for it. The morning's -7C and moderate snowfall was actually easier to handle than the previous days heavy rain and wind - grip was obviously terrible, but at least my visor wasn't fogging up, and my cheap riding gear seemed to be able to keep the snow out better than the rain.

This is what met me where I had left a soggy bike at a much balmier temperature the previous evening:

I had to spray WD40 down the ignition barrel just to be able to turn the key, as it was frozen solid. The front tyre was also frozen stuck, dragging the bike backwards only dragged the wheel along the ground. I didn't want to spray WD40 all over my disk brake, or pour more water on the thing to freeze up in the -7C conditions, so I just had to persevere with it until I broke the ice and the wheel turned.
Once the bike was started, it was missing a lot and running rough until I got it warmed up.

I started off pretty unsure of the conditions, but slowly got more adventurous, despite these being pretty much the worst tyres I could have shod on the day:

When I had ridden up the mountain, there was lots of evidence of Spring's presence, but coming back down the flowers were frozen. Not many of my macro shots turned out, the frozen wattle was OK though:

About 40 minutes riding and it was a different world, down in Ancona. The only sign of rain and snow was the frothy, dirty creek:

This is where the day took a very special turn, however. Still heading home to Melbourne, I saw that the cold snap had brought snow down on the hills in much lower country (it doesn't usually snow here, even in winter). The contrast between lush looking paddocks with cattle or sheep grazing in them, and snow on the hills just behind and not that far above was amazing. There were people pulling over on the road to take photo's, so it wasn't just me! This is just heading into Molesworth:

Following my nose, I took the turnoff at Molesworth to Whanregarwen and came to one paddock that extended up to the snow falls. One of my favourite shots of the day, or at least one of the best spots I stood in all day:

I kept heading towards Whanregarwen and took the Scrubby Creek Rd turnoff up into the Black Range national park, where snow could be seen on the ground between the trees in the distance:

Once up in the Black Range, I spent a few hours exploring and forgot to take photo's of a lot of the interesting stuff. The trails were sloshy and very slippery. Yeah, I came off once, somehow caught the front end probably a dozen times more as it tried to wash out. Crossing fallen saplings and trees, with everything so cold and wet and slippery (and with motard wheels), required perfect right-angle intersections, being even slightly off caused big movement which was not pleasant, and I don't know how I didn't come off more. I had to go bush to get around some of the trees. I realised I was enjoying the scenery a lot less after a while and was more focussed on mere survival, which was an experience in itself but not quite as relaxing as the day had been so far. That's probably why I took less photo's. Here's a few though:

The sun was now getting a bit lower and my extremities a little colder and number thanks to scattered showers and icy wind, so I made (mostly legal) haste back through Flowerdale, Strath Creek, Broadford (no MX bikes on the track as I rolled off to have a look on the way past!), and down the Hume freeway to Melbourne. Got a few nice pictures between Flowerdale and Strath Creek. Again, idyllic looking country only minutes from what seemed like Winter in some place other than Australia ;-)

And finally, one of my favourites for the day:

tompee screwed with this post 10-20-2010 at 07:46 AM
tompee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Things look a lot better in green than in white
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Welcome to the ADV neighborhood. Great Pics and wild ride report. Keep them coming. From one NOOb to another.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
tompee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Things look a lot better in green than in white
For me, the novelty of the white was something, we don't encounter snow a lot around here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
Welcome to the ADV neighborhood. Great Pics and wild ride report. Keep them coming. From one NOOb to another.
Cheers mate, I will. Hope to see some reports from you as well!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Hey, nice tires for snow...
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
The difference in conditions is pretty cool looking through those pictures. I am surprised you could even move in the snow with those tires.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Great bike and pics!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
Very nice ride, Aussie's definite know how to live!
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Great photos! That bike-ride combo would have been a little outside of my comfort level.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
tompee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
Hey, nice tires for snow...
Haha, yeah, they were swell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley
The difference in conditions is pretty cool looking through those pictures. I am surprised you could even move in the snow with those tires.
Yeah the contrasts in different conditions was amazing that day... it would only have been a couple of hours riding west to see some really arid country too.
Re the tyres, most of the tracks I left in the snow were not just tyre marks, but two footprints touching down every few metres on either side ;-) At one point I had to get off and walk beside it. But knowing I could be away from the snow in half an hour if I got sick of it kind of made it easier to bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k
Great bike and pics!
Thanks mate, I certainly am chuffed with the bike, and yeah, some of the pics turned out alright! With modern digital camera's everyone is a photographer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Very nice ride, Aussie's definite know how to live!
Well, on that particular weekend this Aussie did, anyway ;-) Glad you liked the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Great photos! That bike-ride combo would have been a little outside of my comfort level.
I wasn't exactly chillaxing either, eh! But it got me there and back, so I can't complain too much
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 835
Tough ride - Great shots!

I've taken the liberty of linking here from the Aussie ride report page - hope you don't mind!
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather
Tough ride - Great shots!

I've taken the liberty of linking here from the Aussie ride report page - hope you don't mind!
+1

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
craig525
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Top stuff
craig525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
tompee OP
Adventurer

Thanks goosefeather, don't mind at all! I didn't realise there was an Aussie rides thread, will link there in the future!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Wicked RR !!!!

Great ride report and awesome photo's - cool stuff !!!!!