User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Two Airheads and two Motorcycles

I have ALWAYS wanted an Airhead. I finally got one, and three days later, another. In love with both. I am doing a post of this little day ride because I only just now noticed this thread. Quite cool this! Since all I ever seem to go on now are day rides this will be a great place for me to post up mine.

I got extremely lucky and got a 1978 R100RS in great shape for next to nothing. I got it home and cleaned it up my way. I was aching to go for a ride so called a local member Alejo who said he would love to go.

The R100RS in all it's freshly cleaned glory..

A shot of the other one sitting (seen thru the RS windscreen)...dejected. But I will take her next time...I promise.

First stop was Sandia Crest, the Metal Forest. All the transmitters for all the TV and radio stations are up here because it gives them a 10,700ft + Antenna.. I actually have a key to the gate, but Alejo was afraid to go in there because he has the Elektronik Angstrom.

We parked in the lot and walked to the top and looked off at parts West...

We didn't stay long, and headed back down the Crest road to Madrid which is the town here where they shot "Wild Hogs".

Here a typical shot of a typical house converted to gallery on the main drag thru Madrid.

We decided to get a soda and have a sit down and did so at the only real Soda Fountain left in the state. It still sells REAL sodas made from suryp and soda water.

I got a Chili Pie and a Orange Soda, Alejo just got a drink. The frito pie was yummy.

We left and took a little walk down the street, Madrid is so small, if you are walking as slow as you can stand to, it still only takes abou t5 minutes to walk border to border. Here's a little house still on the main drag and the only one NOT restored or turned into a little tourist trap.

Here is Maggies Diner from the movie, they tore down a house and built it specially for the movie. It is NOT a Diner now though, as the sign says at the door! We call it Maggies NOT a Diner now.

Here is the most popular place in town, the bar. Called the Mine Shaft tavern, it has been her since the town was a mining town for coal and silver. Those guy's on the porch are Bandido's and locals, Bandido's and old lady's and Old men get along fine.

Here's the last shot of the bikes before we left, I have good memories about Madird. I met the guy who i traded my Husky for my little beauty of an R60/5 there, and I met the guy who I bought my replacement seat for my R100Rs there, and every time I go there I have a great time.

After I got home, my youngest son, the one that loves the Airheads, wanted to sit on dady's bike and have me take a picture. Here he is, my 4yo Son Filiberto.

The R60/5 was even happy to see me home so I took a little ride on it to keep things Kosher...

Next ride will be way more bundled up because it is JUST starting to get cold at my house up in the mountains...it snowed a dusting this morning.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,391
2 beautiful additions
Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Nice ride and lovely bikes! Thanks for the report and pics.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Thanks, I hope to go on a few more before the snow flies.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
Perhaps my all time favourite and most desirable machine, the R100RS. I have dreams of a brand new one being found in a crate somewhere and I'm the first to know about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
Perhaps my all time favourite and most desirable machine, the R100RS. I have dreams of a brand new one being found in a crate somewhere and I'm the first to know about it.
I love it. I have a really neat advertisement that was the one BMW put out when the R100RS came out.

It basically reads, Own the Road. And goes on to state
"The BMW R100RS, The kind of motorcycle that were there no price tag, most men would want to own. The kind of machine, that because the price tag is close to $5000.00, allows very few men that privilege."

I remember back then thinking $5000.00! NO ONE will be able to afford that! Kinda like seeing a new BMW now with a price of 30K....

Anyway, I have wanted one since they came out and am happy I finally got one.