User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer: 530
A Ninja and DR650R out having fun!

Eddy needed to put some finishing touches on the route planning for his GC Loop route planned for later this year so I thought it would be a good chance to let my project bike loose on some unfriendly trails without the embarrassment should it flounder and die. We trailered up early in the morning with storms all around us but Eddy was sure the weather would clear, I just didn't really care one way or the other, it's an adventure after all right?

Once in Flagstaff we unloaded and headed NW toward the starting point, and into the heavy rain clouds. We were denied that goal and turned back to wait out the storms while eating a big late breakfast at "Lenny's". After a few hours we gave up and looked to the only glimmer of bright skies toward the SE and left in that direction in order to complete the recon of the day 2 portion of the GCL ride.

After heading southeast from Winona we were letting the bikes eat and having fun just hauling the mail until the soon to be infamous "power line road". LOL

Nuclieye screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 07:45 PM
Nuclieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

The first few miles were a ball with mixed dirt, mud and bedrock, a few technical spots separated by high speed runs until "THE HILL CLIMB". I saw it in the distance while we were flying along wondering if the road would climb it or go around it. The road seemed to end right at its base and then it got technical.

This was the first hardcore off road test for the Ninja so Eddy volunteered to forge the way on his mighty DR650R. The plan was for him to go ahead and yell back to me if the road was passable for my attempt. This road up was full of boulders, mud and switchbacks. Not big bike friendly, and certainly NOT Ninja friendly.

Hey Eddy, does this mud build up bug you at all?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

Little did we know that the climb up was nothing compared to what was up on top for us. During one switchback section Eddy yelled back to me that I should "come on up Rob and... blah blah blah" so I started her up, feathered the clutch and bounced on up and around the turn to see Eddy walking toward me and his mighty steed lying dead in the trail behind him. Not good, but at least he's walking I thought.

After properly documenting the odd resting position of his DR I helped him get her on her feet once again and we were on our way with thunder overhead. Looks like the ride ended right here for this traveler.

Eddy is not amused now that his bike is again standing.

My view from the Ninjas pilot seat.

We finally crested the little hill to see miles of straight FS road just as Eddy's map's said it would be, the only minor problem was that the entire flat plain seemed to drain right toward the road so it was a tiny bit damp. Still we headed SE in hopes that things would improve. this portion of the "ride" was interrupted by sudden engine failures from excessive mud build up actually stopping the tires. It got more interesting when the mud would stop the front tire before the rear causing an instant reversal in bike direction. This bit of road was like riding on greased 30 wt oil and after 1.5 miles I called it quits and told Eddy I thought turning around was the best option. He wanted to go on, but another 6 miles or so of this was going to kill me so we bailed.

Nuclieye screwed with this post 09-06-2009 at 07:43 PM
Old 09-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

No brakes were needed going back down the steep hill as the mud packed against our tires stopped us dead when we let off the throttle. I was soooo happy to see pavement again! On the way back into Flagstaff we ran into another hard downpour and Eddy just had to pass me so I could could enjoy the mud melting away from his DR650R at 75 mph right into my face. I don't see the attraction of mud baths.

The Ninja ran like dooo doooooo all the way home, once home I found out why... The mud was being piled up onto the swingarm and forced into the air box by the rear tire. In hindsight I can hardly believe it even ran. I took 11 pounds of dried mud out of the air box once home. The little Ninja can do dirt just fine but the air box will soon be changed.

The counter sprocker cover also showed some concern.

Once the cover was removed so I could hose out the CS...

Old 09-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

Maybe the Ninja wasn't the best choice for a custom dual sport after all but it sure has been fun! I still have some tweaking to do to her but we are AK bound next year as of now.

Thanks Eddy for the laughs and the friendship, it was a blast.

Peace....
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,350
wow man. I still can't believe that frankeninja. Good stuff.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Chick4KLRs
Adventure in my Soul

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
wow man. I still can't believe that frankeninja. Good stuff.

I love this term FRANKENNINJA

Great RR Nuc !!!

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
love it!

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
kbblue
mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer: 297
Looks like a fun time was had by all. Didn't think Eddy would ever go back into north country mud after all his bitchin' about your thunderstorm adventure last year!

Thanks for the RR Nuke. How's the pipe holding up without a bash plate? Looks like you had some rocks to wack.

kbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Nuclieye OP
Custom Fit is my choice!

I rode carefully and never smacked a rock with it so its all rock solid and free of dents. There were plenty of rocks to take it out I just dodged them all which slowed me down a little but it's not supposed to be a nimble dirt bike after all. My hand thinks I should have slowed down a long time ago anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
man... that ninja is SAWEET!
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
[quote=kbblue]. Didn't think Eddy would ever go back into north country mud after all his bitchin' about your thunderstorm adventure last year!

quote]Oh well surprise surprise KB .
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclieye View Post

+1,000 for this post man, nice ninja

Do you have a thread where you listed all the work, or can you list out the steps taken, in broad strokes, to make this funkey beast?

This is my raw clay as it stands now, I figure doing some work on this is a good winter project and about the same price as a small dirt bike to learn on anyway.

devo2002 screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 08:25 PM
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote