Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107
What a fantastic day of riding yesterday! Klaviator and fancyindigo were so gracious to let a creaky, pokey old flatlander tag along.
"creaky, pokey old flatlander"?? I don't think so. You did great. It was a pleasure riding with you. If you hadn't got the ball rolling with your post in the Asheville thread, this ride would not have happened. I had a Fantastic couple days of riding that would probably not have happened without you. Thanks!!!

You took some great pics. I think you captured the color of the leaves better than I did. Thanks for posting them. I hope you had a great ride with your husband. Let me know how it turned out.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to ride again sometime

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,176
Hi klaviator, I'm ready to hear about more of your travels from Friday onward. On Saturday, I took my husband up to Buzzard's Roost and hoped to make the northern connection from FS288 over to FS289 instead of going down Longarm Rd then up Mt. Sterling Rd and back around to FS289. I wanted to show him Mt. Sterling Creek. But I missed the turn and ended up on Longarm Rd, the same route we took Thursday morning. We did make a side trip up FS287 to the ridge and back down. Once on Mt. Sterling Rd, we headed north and went to Waterville, checked out the hydroelectric plant at the NC/TN line, then hopped on I-40 at TN Exit 451 and headed back to Asheville.

HERE is a slideshow that I put together for some friends that contains some of your photos and mine. If you click the right arrow under the thumbnails 9 times, it'll get through the images you and I have already posted to the ones from my Saturday ride. Once there, you don't have to use the thumbnails, you can hover with your mouse on the middle right edge of the big pic and quickly scroll through the images.

This pic is from inside the tunnel that you see from Buzzard's Roost:

Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Great RR!

Thanks Klaviator for posting up! And thanks Laura for posting those lovely photos. Those hardwood forests on fire with color look pretty good from the Evergreen State. Most of the leaves here on the Olympic Peninsula just turn brown and last night's storm blew them off on the rain slick roads. I'll try to remember that your lovely fall colors aren't that much nicer than our cool dry bug free summers! Thanks again, dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #19
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I woke up early on Friday morning, I usually do when I'm going for a ride. I had a GREAT ride the day before and am expecting the same today. Yesterday I was the tour guide, today I get to follow along and hopefully see some great new roads. The plan is to meet Carmen in the little town of Trust at the intersection of 209 and 63.

I go outside. It's a little chilly:

I go for a walk to get warmed up and enjoy the scenic Maggie Valley. It promises to be a beautiful day and will warm up once the sun comes up over the mountain.

I take off early since I'm not sure how long the ride will take and to give myself time to take pics. Despite the cold I am dressed for it and am pretty comfortable.......for a while. Then I climb in elevation and temperature drops. Now I'm cold. I finally stop to warm up and to take this pic:

209 is a great road. Despite the cold I enjoy the great curves and scenery. I get to Trust 20 minutes early and go inside the store. They have just what I need; a cup of hot chocolate. Carmen arrives a few minutes later. She also goes straight for the hot chocolate. A couple on a Harley comes in, they're out enjoying the scenery. We give them some route suggestions. The a rider on a R1150GS shows up. It's Shane (anatic on this forum) who saw Carmen's invitation to join the ride on the Asheville thread.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 07:56 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #20
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Great part of the country to be riding this time of year. Nice job on the report folks...thanks for taking us along.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #21
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Carmen led us down some paved roads with endless curves. I often take pics with one hand while riding but with the pace she set I needed to keep both hands on the bars. It's been a while since I really blasted along at this pace and it was great to get the adrenaline pumping. No pics so this will have to do:

We finally stopped and I took this:

Passing through Hot Springs we saw what looked like a Model T.

Then it was off to some great roads I had never been on before. I particularly remember one long forest service road which had been paved but was only about a lane and a half wide. Very scenic, curvy and NO TRAFFIC

We stopped at this scenic spot.

Shane said he used to come to this spot as a kid and climb up the cliff to the left and jump down into the pond.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then it was off to some fun gravel roads. We were heading for the lookout tower on Rich Mountain. Carmen was setting a good pace while riding on 17" sumo tires.........maybe too good of a pace???

I was a little slow with my camera, two seconds earlier and this would have been a totally different picture

We came to an intersection and Carmen said she wasn't sure this was the right way. My reply "this road goes somewhere, lets go" So we did. It was a fantastic ride with glimpses way down the steep mountainside looking through brilliant colored leaves. Sorry no pics but the image is burned into my memory.

It turns out we did go the right way.

Looking down at our trusty machines:

And off into the distance.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 09:15 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #23
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then it was time to head down the mountain. There are gravel roads.....and there are REALLY FUN GRAVEL roads. The ones where the gravel has mostly been knocked off or ground into the dirt and the traction is really good. This was one of those REALLY FUN gravel roads. It was a ride down the mountain. Then a short stop at the bottom.

Then it was time for some twisty pavement. Carmen set a PERFECT pace. I was able to really push myself, my bike and tires without feeling like we were going too fast. The only time I could take pics was when we were slowed down by traffic, and that wasn't too often.

This was my view for MANY miles of endless curves.

Many people go to Deal's Gap and then rave about how twisty the "Dragon" is. Most of them don't realize that there are countless road just as twisty, if not more, without all the tourists clogging the road. We rode some of those roads.

It's just as well that all the tourists go to Deal's Gap. For the most part we had the roads to ourselves

Shane took this next pic. Full face helmets are hiding the huge grins that Carmen and I had on our faces. Thanks Shane for taking the pic

We briefly got stuck behind a large truck allowing me to get this pic.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 08:44 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #24
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Carmen led us down some paved roads with endless curves. I often take pics with one hand while riding but with the pace she set I needed to keep both hands on the bars. It's been a while since I really blasted along at this pace and it was great to get the adrenaline pumping. No pics so this will have to do:

Carmen said she used to come to this spot as a kid and climb up the cliff to the left and jump down into the pond.(fixxded)
Seriousely, had a blast with you two!! Always like to see new stuff.
(Note to self: The on the KTM is fearless, don't try to keep up .)

_anatic screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 09:02 AM
_anatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #25
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Absolutely a very beautiful ride!! Wow, great shots of some beautiful country, thanks for the ride!

Hi Carmen!
Nice new bike!
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic
Seriousely, had a blast with you two!! Always like to see new stuff.
(Note to self: The on the KTM is fearless, don't try to keep up .)
Shane, thanks for the correction on who dived into the pool, I have a bad case of CRS

Carmen is not the fastest street rider I have ridden with....but she only started riding a little over a year ago
I'm glad I had the chance to ride with her at this time. Another year and I doubt I'll be able to keep up with her

Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
ETrider
Gawker

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
I particularly remember one long forest service road which had been paved but was only about a lane and a half wide. Very scenic, curvy and NO TRAFFIC

We stopped at this scenic spot.

Paint Creek

I ride that road often it's close to where I live. There's a few trout in that creek too,took this pic over the weekend.

Enjoyed the pics and ride report.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

Very nice pics and RR!! What a nice part of the country to get a few days riding in!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #29
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Waaaay to soon the ride was over. I wanted to get back to MV early enough to load up my bike and make it to Crawford's campground early enough to set up my tent before dark.

I was hungry and did have enough time for lunch. We had lunch in Trust. We got take out orders and ate at a picnic table outside. It was such a perfect day we never considered eating inside the restaurant.

The food was good.

But the company was even better. Carmen and Shane, it was great riding and spending some time with you.

Carmen, thanks for the great ride, I will definitely go back and ride those roads again.

Then it back to MV. It was another great ride back.

I love this part of North Carolina and always hate when I have to leave. I will remember the last two days for a long time. They were two very different days of riding, but both equally enjoyable. Today was a very exciting ride, both because of the pace and all the new roads. Yesterday, the pace was slower, more relaxing, and we had more chances to enjoy the scenery.

Laura, don't think you were holding us back. Early on in the ride I gave Carmen the chance to ride ahead and go faster. She said she was happy with the pace and the chance to enjoy the scenery. The same goes for me. I was happy for the chance to take lots of pics. Thanks for all the pics you posted. I am glad to actually have some pics of me in my ride reports. My wife particularly liked the one you took of me eating the ice cream cone

I love dual sport riding, you can have fun on the pavement as well as off. You can have fun going fast, or going slow. I love to explore. And last but not least, I have met so many great people. This forum really makes it easier to meet other riders.

Laura, Carmen, and Shane, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and riding with you. Aarrff, and your friend, nice meeting you and hope to see you again some day.

Everyone else who responded in this report or added some pics, thanks.

This concludes the Maggie Valley portion of my riding. There is still much more riding, and pics to come. The next day at the rally would prove to be quite different from the last two days.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 05:10 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #30
KyEd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Looks like I picked a bad week to "not" take vacation . Nice to enjoy the ride via your report/pictures though. Keep up the good work!

This concludes the Maggie Valley portion of my riding. There is still much more riding, and pics to come. The next day at the rally would prove to be quite different from the last two days.[/quote]
KyEd is offline   Reply With Quote