Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyEd
Looks like I picked a bad week to "not" take vacation . Nice to enjoy the ride via your report/pictures though. Keep up the good work!
Hi Shawn Too bad you couldn't make this one It was a great time. Hopefully next time we try to ride I won't have carb problems.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I made it to the campground in time to set up my tent before dark. After that I went and met some of the other KLR riders. Then it was time to hit the sack, it had been a long day and I'm sure tomorrow will be another one. It's supposed to be cold tonight but warmer than it had been in Maggie Valley.

The next morning I got up and took some pics.

My campsite.

The Weatherman lied about the temperatures. So did my sleeping bag manufacturer who rated my bag at 20 degrees. 40 maybe but not 20. It was cold but I survived.

I wandered over to my friend Sean's Toy Hauler and took him up on his offer of some heat and some breakfast. The toy hauler was luxurious compared to my tent but I guess it was not fun getting it through all the super twisty roads that led to this campground.

Riders started gathering. This was the first "Hanging Dog" Rally and was organized on klr650.net.

The campground was very scenic. It looked like a great place to park an RV......If only I had one.

There would be two groups today; a hard ride and a not so hard ride. I had decided to ride my XT350 today but elected to go on the not so hard ride. Several people told me to do the hard ride instead of riding with all the "big pig" KLRs. I may have been on a small, light bike but I didn't think my riding skills were up to the hard ride. At the end of the day, talking to Sean who went on the hard ride, I made the right decision.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 01:40 PM
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Klaviator - thanks so much for writing this ride report! You have a talent (among many others) for keeping things descriptive and interesting as well as including great pics!

Laura - it is always MY pleasure to ride with you!!! You have such a positive attitude and go-with-the-flow nature which makes riding with you a pure JOY!!!!

Anatic - I love how you ride that big bike! AND, I especially love that you love this area (especially near Hot Springs - as I am quite fond of that town). Heck, I cannot throw a pebble in that town without hitting a relative. (And no, they are not inbred.)

Ride hard. Ride safe. Be well.

I too, had a phantabulous two days of riding! Blessings to all and I will look forward to riding with all of you again soon!
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #34
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We headed off led by Cherokee Chuck. The group consisted of 10, 9 on KLR650's and me on my little XT350. I had only ridden with two members of the group before so I had no idea what to expect. Several of the KLRs had street oriented tires and one even had a side hack attached I figured that we would be waiting on the side hack at every turn and it would limit where we could ride. I was seriously WRONG on that assumption.

We headed down some twisty paved roads towards Murphy. These roads, which seemed so tight and so long when driving in here in my Avalanche, went by in a flash on the bike

Then we turned off onto the first dirt of the day. It started off easy then became rutted. The ruts weren't that bad except for the fact that I couldn't see through the dust

We went up to a scenic point, stopped to enjoy the view,

and turned around.

We stopped at the bottom. 90% of the time, when a KLR needs repair, it can be done with duct tape or zip ties. Here Greg demonstrates a duct tape repair of a turn signal.

Then it was back to the pavement and up towards Andrews. The plan was to jump on the four lane and I was a little worried about keeping up with the big bikes. I feel like I'm abusing the XT when I run it past about 60.
Chuck managed to find a route of all back roads so we were able to ride to Andrews on nice little two lane roads.

On the way Chuck took us down another great gravel road, and back tracked back out. I managed to get this next shot of Ty and his side hack going by.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:04 PM
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We stopped in Andrews for lunch. Most of us ate at the chinese place. A couple of the "anti-social" guys went to subway. The food was good but nothing special. It was great getting to know some of the other guys.

All the bikes lined up.

One rider decided to head back, nine of us continued on. Chuck led us up FS304.
There was a nice set of uphill twisties leading to 304.

He stopped at a small side trail and said "wait here, I'm going to see if it goes anywhere"
I didn't want Chuck to have all the fun so I went up after him. A short ways up I saw him coming back down, it was a dead end. I turned around and saw that several others had followed us.....including Ty and his side hack Before I could get my camera turned on and take a pic, he had turned around on this narrow trail and was almost out of view when I snapped a pic.

We continued up FS304. I was amazed at the speed Ty could get down this twisty gravel road. I couldn't stay with him. He just slid the thing around corners. He may have carried a little too much speed around one corner resulting in

Good thing he wasn't by himself. He had to hold the brakes to prevent going over. A few of us pulled him back up.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:06 PM
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #36
WNC Greg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great Ride Log, Klaviator

You got some excellent pics, man. In case you thought I'd care, please feel free to share any of my many falls. It would probably be hilarious.

I bet there are plenty of dirt noobs who are worried about going off-road on their whale bikes. I want them all to know that I fell, I got back on, I fell again, and then I got back on. It got to the point where a fall really didn't matter as I was having too much fun to care. Plus I bought a chest protector and padded riding pants and, as many times as I went down, I went home without as much as a bruise.

Moral of the story: Get good armor, do your best to ride within your abilities, and have a good time. If you don't get too crazy you'll do fine...probably better than I did.
WNC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #37
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Greg, several pics of you still to come

After pulling out "kamakaziozzy" and his rig, we continued a little way down 304. It was not in good condition today, to much gravel and way to much dust. No problem, Chuck led us off on a fork I had not ridden before. It was a great ride

We stopped to take this pic:

How did that bike get all muddy

Then I rode ahead to get some action shots.

First up was our fearless leader.

KamakaziOzzy

Greg going by a warp speed

I took a few more but I won't post them all. Any pics I don't post here will be posted in the Hanging Dog picture thread.

After this last pic, I heard what sounded like a crash so I walked around the corner.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 05:13 PM
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #38
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I went ahead again to get more pics. I took several at this spot. I liked this one the best.

Another scenic spot.

After taking the last pic, I was behind Ty when I saw him lift the sidehack way in the air and ride on two wheels
I turned on my camera and snapped a pic just as he was putting it back down.

Then Chuck took us exploring on a side road again. It was fairly steep and rough.

We were stopped by a tree across the road. The bikes could be leaned and ridden underneath but not the side hack. Chuck went ahead to scout it out,

while we waited and enjoyed the view.

He came back down and said it led to a maze of logging roads....worth exploring but not today.

So we headed back down. Time for some water crossing pics.

Why use the bridge when there's a perfectly good creek to cross?

Trying to make the biggest splash.

It was fairly deep in some spots

Ty made multiple runs.

He even attempted a U turn in the creek.

But the water was deeper than he thought

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 05:03 PM
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #39
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was a good thing Ty was prepared. He had a tow strap with him.

He didn't seem fazed by this "adventure"

Tilting the rig to drain water.

After draining the water, pulling the air filter(it was soaked) and cleaning the airbox, he tried starting it........it wouldn't turn at all.

Probably water in the cylinder. Col Klink suggested putting the bike in a high gear and pushing it backwards to clear out the water without damaging the rod.

It worked! Now it would crank but still wouldn't start and the battery was getting low. So we tried push starting it for a ways. Eventually it started.

While we were doing all this, this couple came by and stopped.

Nice couple. Judging by the grin on the passengers face, they were enjoying their ride. It turns out they knew one of the guys in our group....small world.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #40
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then we headed off towards the Thunder Mountain store. First some nice gravel roads, then some twisty paved roads.

We came to a stop sign so I took the opportunity to move up behind Ty so I could get some shots of him in action.

It was impressive to watch. The whole rig seemed to flex from the side forces as he went around corners. Ty shifted his body and leaned way off to keep from tipping over.

Then it was up to an overlook I don't remember the name of where we took a group pic. Chuck took this pic about ten times as we loaded him up with all our cameras

Then I led off back down the mountain. Most of these guys are faster than me off road but my little XT rocks on twisty pavement so I went first so I could let-er-rip back to the beginning of the Skyway.

I was a little concerned about keeping up going up the sky way. The XT is not exactly over-powered, but it turned out not to be an issue.

At the top of the Skyway, we turned off on the gravel road leading to Old River road. It was getting dark and I hade a burned out low beam. It turns out I was not the only one. One rider had both high AND low beam burned out When we got to Old River road, Chuck decided to wait for a couple of riders while most of us went on. I led off for a while then had Ty lead on the gravel. He stopped for some reason so I continued ahead. Eventually a couple of riders passed me. With the dust they kicked up and my high beam, I was just about blind. I could just barely see the road if I turned off my light. I went real slow and eventually the dust cleared. I just hoped no one else would pass and kick up more dust. On top of that, the steering head bearings on my XT were going bad. Steering the bike at low speed was a real chore. Then I came around a curve and saw this.

And one more with my bike.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

When we got back to the campground, Danny had some good barbeque waiting for us. Then I pulled out my laptop and we looked at some of the pictures from the days ride. It's great having a laptop along but mine is pretty frustrating. Like my bikes, it's not exactly the newest technology and runs pretty slow. I have heard that one of the major Motorcycle companies is coming out with a new line of personal computers and they even have one perfect for taking along on the bike. Here's a link, do you think I should invest in one of these? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpa0...layer_embedded

Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #42
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Great RR and fantastic pics!

Glad to see Crawfords is still open . I figured they would go under when the FS closed the OHV area. Well I assuming its the same Crawfords I used to go to when i had my jeep.

I cant wait to get back to that area on a DS bike.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #43
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
Great RR and fantastic pics!

Glad to see Crawfords is still open . I figured they would go under when the FS closed the OHV area. Well I assuming its the same Crawfords I used to go to when i had my jeep.

I cant wait to get back to that area on a DS bike.
It's still open but the closing of the ORV area has really hurt their business. It is a great place to dual sport out of. There were four organized dual sport rides there this year (that I know of) The Screamin Beaver, Sweaty Beaver, and Fuzzy Beaver are all on ADV and the Hanging Dog on KLR650.net. Danny, the owner, rides a KTM and knows where to ride. It wouln't be a bad place for a street bike either, the roads leading to the campground are seriously twisty and don't have all the traffic that Deal's Gap has. This was my first time there but I will be going back.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 01:12 PM
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #44
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a good nights sleep, it wasn't nearly as cold as the previous night, I wandered over to Sean's Toy Hauler where he fed me again. Thanks Sean! Then back to my Campsite.

I found a small sticky on my KLR. It was from Brienne and Malcolm who I had met a few days earlier. Brienne is from San Diego. Malcolm from South Africa, And they met in Columbia. Brienne rode her KLR to Atlanta from San Diego via the TAT. Malcolm flew in and bought a used KLR650. They are headed to central/south America via Asheville, Florida, and who knows where else. I met them a few days earlier. Malcolm wanted an OEM KLR skidplate and I had one laying around. A really neat couple, I think they have quite an adventure ahead of them. I talked them into starting a ride report on ADV but the whole ADV ride report thing is new to them. I told them what a great bunch of people are on ADV. Please prove me right and check out and respond on their ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630191

Shortly afterwards I was talking tires with another rider when he commented that I really ran low air pressure in my tires The rear tire on my KLR was flat. I did have a spare tube but didn't want to mess with it this morning. I guess I'll be riding the XT again. At least it went flat here, not on the road somewhere.

After I got home, I did find a very small nail in the tire. It would hold air for a while since it was a slow leak. BTW, breaking the bead on the Shinko 244 tire was a real PITA. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that on a trail, it was bad enough in my garage. I'm going to have to get a clamp or bead buddy or something. I have been doing my own tires for years and don't usually have problems getting them off.

Back to the Ride report. I still have more riding to do

klaviator screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:13 PM
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #45
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
It's still open but the closing of the ORV area has really hurt their business. It is a great place to dual sport out of. There were four organized dual sport rides there this year (that I know of) The Screamin Beaver, Sweaty Beaver, and Fuzzy Beaver are all on ADV and the Hanging Dog on KLR650.net. Danny, the owner, rides a KTM and knows where to ride. It wouln't be a bad place for a street bike either, the roads leading to the campground are seriously twisty and don't have all the traffic that Deal's Gap has. This was my first time there but I will be going back.
Thanks for the great info about Crawfords, glad to see they are still open and surviving. A friend and I spent 6 days down that way at the beginning of October. Tons of great riding in that area, we ran a bunch of gravel too.

Thanks again for the great ride report, it definitely made me pencil in a spring ride to WNC.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote